Student case

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beginnings of toxic shock syndrome? I would really like to know what the results of the CBC was.

I, too, was thinking this, but the reason I didn't 'say' anything is because you didn't mention about a rash resembling a sunburn, particularly on her palms and soles.

BTW, did you find any bacteria?

Lots of good discussion, and I really appreciate the "old guys" chiming in (experience, not age!)

I'm glad no one would just send the patient home just because she feels better after we removed the condom- that's the first obvious point.  The consensus also seems to be that she needs some sort of imaging of her abdomen and pelvis- the questions is, do we do X-rays, CT or an ultrasound?  The choice can really affect the timing of her disposition depending on what you find, and one has risks associated with it (radiation, contrast dye load affecting renal function), and the other is operator dependent.  I'll go ahead and tell you that I did abdominal films and they showed no obvious free air, either upright or L lateral decubitus.  And I'll provide labs since we gave her parenteral analgesia

CBC- WBC elevated at 14.8K, elevated segs at 84%, and bandemia at 12%.  H/H normal (by the way, if her CBC was normal, would you continue to image her?)

CMP- normal

Lipase- normal

UA- grossly contaminated, but + nitrites/leuk esterase, microscopy shows RBC's 50-100, WBC's 50-100, numerous bacteria with frequent epithelial cells

HCG- neg ( we already covered this)

GC/Chlamydia cultures- sent

Microscopic wet prep- + WBC's, no clue cells, no trichomonads, no candida

Lactate- normal

So....what imaging are you going to get and why?  Since triple contrast was mentioned, I'm in agreement with E- I got out of PA school at a time when it had fallen out of favor.  The only time I use it is when we know there is rectal/distal colon pathology clinically, or otherwise requested by consultant

Is the imaging to rule out access/other intra abdominal syndrome or am I missing something? We have the source of infection and could theoretically proceed from there, right?

Ah see, that's the question- presented in a certain light, you can somewhat reasonably make a case for a disposition without further imaging- "34 y/o female, no past medical hx, presents with lower abdominal/pelvic pain, is febrile and tachycardia without any N/V/D who has grossly contaminated urine and is not pregnant- she has a UTI that might progress to pyelonephritis- I should at least place her in observation with IV antibiotics and watch her over the next 24 hours".  This is not totally unreasonable, but there are two things that aren't taken into account- her abdominal exam and this finding of a condom that's been sitting in there for a week and a half.  She may not have been truly peritonitic with a rigid abdomen, but her abdomen is not benign.  

So...the punchline.  My main concerns were appendicitis and PID/TOA- they were 1a and 1b on my list- they had to be ruled out before any other disposition or treatment was considered.  Given the finding of the condom and her lack of N/V/D and anorexia, I felt PID/TOA was slightly more likely.  As PAtoB noted earlier, given her age and that ultrasound would be the least harmful to her, I decided to go with the pelvic ultrasound first (I did request they try to look at the appendix), BUT with the caveat that if her US was normal that she needs a CT abdomen/pelvis with contrast.  And that is how I signed it out to the oncoming provider who relieved me.  

I got a text at home about an hour later- "US shows bilateral tubo-ovarian abscesses with a very small amount of fluid in the pelvis".  So OB/GYN was consulted and she was admitted to their service with antibiotics started- unclear if operative management/IR intervention was initially planned.  

The reason I wanted to present this case was not because of the diagnosis being some really strange zebra, but because to me it emphasizes the physical exam making a key difference in how you approach a patient overall- and that you need to examine ALL systems that might be affected in order to make an informed clinical decision.  We all know there are providers out there that would have examined her abdomen and not done a pelvic exam, proceeded with a CT and come up with this weird finding of some foreign body in the pelvis with the abscesses seen in both fallopian tubes and may or may not have seen the appendix- but then you have to go back and complete the physical exam to remove the foreign body, and you've exposed her to a large amount of radiation and a large dye load that could have been avoided if you had done an initially thorough physical exam

gbrothers- I haven't seen that video you posted yet, but I'm hoping it's along the same lines as what I try to emphasize to students- how to think in an ER manner with each and every patient.  

Archived