2015-2016 Application Cycle

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you read posts specifying questions that the faculty have asked in interviews, don't try to come up with a fancy answer and spew it off like it came to you in a millisecond moment of clarity. Be real and honest, "I researched questions that the faculty here at UAB like to ask and I did come across this particular one.....(insert answer).". The program faculty at UAB are ALL phenomenal. Each contribute different experiences and different philosophies of teaching.  If anyone interested in applying to this program comes across this thread, you don't just grow academically in this program. 

https://www.uab.edu/shp/cds/physician-assistant/174-physician-assistant-faculty-staff

If you read posts specifying questions that the faculty have asked in interviews, don't try to come up with a fancy answer and spew it off like it came to you in a millisecond moment of clarity. Be real and honest, "I researched questions that the faculty here at UAB like to ask and I did come across this particular one.....(insert answer).". The program faculty at UAB are ALL phenomenal. Each contribute different experiences and different philosophies of teaching.  If anyone interested in applying to this program comes across this thread, you don't just grow academically in this program. 

https://www.uab.edu/shp/cds/physician-assistant/174-physician-assistant-faculty-staff

I agree, I loved everyone that I met during my interview and this school went from being a consideration to my number one. I thought I wanted to stay in my hometown but UAB really strives to make you feel like you are home; I felt this way!

The faculty is seriously impressive with how involved they are in change for the PA profession in Alabama. I liked the school, and its location to just about every awesome rotation you could think of. The writing prompt isn't anything to worry about -- if you have a true passion for healthcare, this part is effortless. I was sad that we were not allowed any time to speak with the 2nd and 3rd year students, as the 1st years are just beginning to dip their toes into the program and could not answer all of our questions. I believe the morning interviewees were given time with the 2nd and 3rd years, so maybe my afternoon interview was just unfortunate timing.

Additionally, there are two 1:1 interviews (about 15 minutes each), academic and clinical focused. These interviews are low-key though. I had one with a PA alum from the program, as well as one with a faculty member.

They stated during my interview (11/6) that CASPA did not send in all the applications to them, so they are doing one more interview cycle for about 40 more people. It made more work for them, but they want to make sure that everyone receives a fair chance. :)

Good luck to everyone!

The faculty is seriously impressive with how involved they are in change for the PA profession in Alabama. I liked the school, and its location to just about every awesome rotation you could think of. The writing prompt isn't anything to worry about -- if you have a true passion for healthcare, this part is effortless. I was sad that we were not allowed any time to speak with the 2nd and 3rd year students, as the 1st years are just beginning to dip their toes into the program and could not answer all of our questions. I believe the morning interviewees were given time with the 2nd and 3rd years, so maybe my afternoon interview was just unfortunate timing.

Additionally, there are two 1:1 interviews (about 15 minutes each), academic and clinical focused. These interviews are low-key though. I had one with a PA alum from the program, as well as one with a faculty member.

They stated during my interview (11/6) that CASPA did not send in all the applications to them, so they are doing one more interview cycle for about 40 more people. It made more work for them, but they want to make sure that everyone receives a fair chance. :)

Good luck to everyone!

Do you know if that extra interview is the one scheduled for 11/19? I was just invited, but thanks to my work schedule, it will be pretty impossible for me to get those days off. So I'm wondering if that's the last date, or if I could possibly pick a later one. Gah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet! Congrats blazergrl91 and ashjav on getting interview invites!! I'm so glad you didn't lose hope! And yes, I'm pretty sure that is the last interview date, assuming they don't have one the following day on Friday. I really hope your boss understands the importance of this interview and doesn't give you any trouble taking off, ashjav! Best of luck to you both and everyone else who has an upcoming interview! :)

From someone in the program now:

UAB fills the seats as they go.  In the past,  the people they interviewed early are their "top" choices and they let them know quickly.  Last year lots of people were called  10-14 days after their interview.  That being said,  they have more seats to fill this year and I think there has been some sort of CASPA issue, so it seems like they are doing more interviews this year and may be waiting to admit.

I'm not sure who the person above received their information from, but I'm 99% sure interview invites aren't according to "top choices" - I vaguely remember several people saying this. Just because you interviewed on October 31st doesn't mean they want you more than someone interviewing on November 19th. And we are not rolling admissions, acceptances were all made on the same day (a year ago today, actually) and wait-listings not long after.

There has been an issue with CASPA - they're interviewing around 240 people this year for a 90 person class. 

Any input on what to bring to the interview? Any other kind of advice you guys have? It would be appreciated:)

Sorry this is so late, but I brought in my purse and inside it I had a copy of my CASPA application and a notebook and pen to write down anything. I didn't need either of those. They give you a folder with information about the program and a schedule of events for the day along with a pen, a lunch box, and water bottle, all inside a bag for you to keep. The person you interview with already has your information with them and knows everything about you (I was being extra type-A and brought my application just in case). The only advice I have is just relax and go in there prepared to have good day...do that, and you'll be fine. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

Sorry this is so late, but I brought in my purse and inside it I had a copy of my CASPA application and a notebook and pen to write down anything. I didn't need either of those. They give you a folder with information about the program and a schedule of events for the day along with a pen, a lunch box, and water bottle, all inside a bag for you to keep. The person you interview with already has your information with them and knows everything about you (I was just being extra type-A and brought my application just in case). The only advice I have is just relax and go in there prepared to have good day...do that, and you'll be fine. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

Thanks Katie, I appreciate it girl:)

Hi everyone! I had an amazin time at my interview on 11/5! Does anyone know the timelines of when we'll hear back about a decision? Has anyone heard back yet?! Congrats and good luck to everyone!!

I had my interview on 11/19, and Kilgore told us that the staff were taking off this week since I think it's fall break and thanksgiving. He said they'll start sending out phone calls and emails beginning next week, the first week of December:)

Archived