2015-2016 Application Cycle

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karebear,

I will be submitting my CASPA application early this week (5/17-5/19). I am waiting on a friend to email my essays back with her thoughts. After making revisions, I'll be done. I plan on mailing my supplemental application to UAB by the first week of June. Are you also applying to USA? Best wishes!

Karebear,

I will be submitting my CASPA application early this week (5/17-5/19). I am waiting on a friend to email my essays back with her thoughts. After making revisions, I'll be done. I plan on mailing my supplemental application to UAB by the first week of June. Are you also applying to USA? Best wishes!

Hi there, I'll be mailing in my supplemental application soon as well. I wish they had included it in their CASPA submission process rather than requiring a separate mail-in form. Anyway, yes, I'm also applying to USA. Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. It was convenient to have the supplemental info submitted via CASPA for the other programs. And great! Good luck to you as well! Has your application been verified yet? I'm short one submitted rec letter before they will start verifying and I was curious how long the current wait time is. I called and they said its "hard to know, maybe two weeks, up to four"...which is what they already mentioned in the FAQ section online before suggesting to call for specifics.

I agree. It was convenient to have the supplemental info submitted via CASPA for the other programs. And great! Good luck to you as well! Has your application been verified yet? I'm short one submitted rec letter before they will start verifying and I was curious how long the current wait time is. I called and they said its "hard to know, maybe two weeks, up to four"...which is what they already mentioned in the FAQ section online before suggesting to call for specifics.

My application was verified in mid-May, about one week after all of my materials arrived. Submitting one more on June 1st and then the real waiting begins!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm contemplating applying but I am from New Mexico and out of state tuition is so much higher. Just spoke with someone in admissions and you have to be living in Alabama at least 2 years before the program even begins to have residency so forget getting it for the second year. Kind of a bummer for such a great program...

For those of you who have made it this far in the process (whether that be considering applying, applying, or applying for maybe a 2nd or 3rd time) I would like to give you some tidbits of helpful information I wish someone would've given me. I will be starting PA school at UAB this fall 2015. That being said, I kept a detailed log of things I wish I'd known or done to help make my application stand out better the first time.... so the intentions of this post is to help offer hope to potential applicants and grant peace to those of you who've already applied and really wanna go to PA school at UAB. 

I was a two time applicant! The first time I only applied to three schools and was REJECTED by all three. Basically, I was like most pre-pa students on the forum and let GRE, GPA, Experience, and other things limit my decision making. To be honest, I didn't have a strong grasp on what the profession was really designed for and was just wishing, hoping, and praying I'd get in somewhere close to home (more on this in a second). So I applied to starter schools who weren't fully accredited by the ARC-PA (the group that accredits all the PA programs). I was applying to these newly establishing PA programs because I thought it'd be easier to get in. Boy, I was wrong (any PA school is competitive to get into fully accredited or not)! So #1... I didn't cast my net far enough! For those of you applying to UAB or any PA program... cast your net wide (meaning apply to a lot of PA schools... at least 7). I would love to have you as a fellow classmate, but even more I would love to just see any of you who are qualified in any PA school because two times is the average attempt it takes to get into a PA program. So take it from me if you don't get in.... work on your application, and reapply if PA is really want you want in a career.

Remember how I said I didn't fully understand what the profession was designed for? The PA profession was designed for already clinically working individuals in healthcare to move up the ladder (so to speak) and be able to advance their clinical knowledge while being able to diagnose, treat, and be care providers for patients. By clinically working individuals many were corpsmen, paramedics, nurses, respiratory therapists ect. I would read post on the forum all the time about GRE and GPA! The biggest thing I come across though on the forum is potential PA hopefuls who are just looking for some magical number of HCE. Folks, let me be honest... experience is a HUGE factor in getting selected for an interview, and your still not guaranteed acceptance after that. With the growing demands within healthcare and the vast need for providers in primary and critical care it is important that you develop a vast level of clinical experience to apply to any PA program. Remember, the profession was started by taking already well experienced Navy Corpsmen and scaling up their clinical abilities. So #2... there is no magical number for HCE... but if you are applying to UAB you will need at least 1000 hours if not more. I had between 7000-10000 hours. Personally, and this may sound bias but I think ED is a great learning environment. However, just get experience and don't just look for a magical number and quit after that. Being a PA is a lifelong commitment to caring for patients, and learning throughout your career. 

Allow me to also say... I don't like a lot of the post on the forum about grades and test scores. They aren't indicators of the level of success you will have in school, or predict your ability to successfully complete a program. Each of you have the ability to achieve anything in life... if you aren't shy on being diligent and putting in the work. I'll be honest and say I didn't have a balling GRE score (it was actually below a 300), my GPA was decent (I retook a lot of classes from undergrad, BUT my post bach credits were all 4.0), and my strength was that I had the HCE nailed with a multitude of diversity when I applied to UAB and I got in (ED experience, Ortho experience, Med School Anatomy Lab experience). So regardless of all the posts and concerns about GPA and GRE... they are important, but aren't a deal breaker. I still would advise you to make the best grades you can possibly make, and even retake classes that you may have done poorly in. My recommendation would be to look into Manhattan GRE or Magoosh GRE for help if needed for GRE (they are expensive... but on ebay not too bad and in my opinion the best). For UAB, they really weigh heavy on the verbal section... the writing and quant aren't weighed as heavy according to Mr. Drace (UAB admission director). So #3... focus on being the best possible you! If you were like me you probably read tons of threads on the forum about this or that, but none of that matters. Focus on making your application as strong as possible! What makes you unique as an applicant and let that be your selling point.

Now that I've given you all tidbits #1-3 allow me to give you #4 and #5 together... #4 go to the open house! I promise you, you will know a) what UAB is looking for for this upcoming 2015-2016 cycle and b) you will be able to gauge if UAB is the right fit for you. Quick side story, I remember I felt like I wasn't ready to apply to UAB or apply to any school for that matter. Like I previously mentioned my GPA and GRE were average, but not what I believed were competitive enough to apply to UAB. So I attended their last open house of the year after working a 12 hour shift and driving 400 miles just to sit in an open house for 2 hours and drive back home. I was worn out and thinking I was crazy for even driving down to Alabama! However, the open house began with Mr. Drace telling everyone why he became a PA and why he loved UAB so much, he also discussed the future of healthcare and how PA's can play a vital role in that future... at the end of his speech I knew UAB was were I wanted to go to school. I stuck around afterwards and talked with him and the program director, Dr. Kilgore... and they were both kind, respectful, and realistic. On the drive home that evening (400 miles) I was re-energized and felt like a little kid again. I had my CASPA completed within a month and submitted it on the last possible day for UAB's application could be turned in to CASPA. Why share that story? Because if I had never gone to the open house I wouldn't know A) what UAB wanted in potential students B) if it would be the right fit for me. Bottom line, GO TO THE OPEN HOUSE you'll be thankful you did!!! #5... don't be like me get your CASPA in early and make sure you get really solid LOR. I would make sure your LOR is able to highlight your strengths and weaknesses as an applicant... YES, you heard me "weaknesses"! By showing your weaknesses it makes your LOR more realistic, but can tailor how your strengths with proper training and mentoring can turn you weaknesses into strengths. 

Lastly, I hope many of you potentially considering applying or who have already applied to UAB find this information helpful (its broad... but like I said I wish someone would've given  me information like this the first time I applied to PA school). This year we have a enrolled class of 80 students (range of backgrounds, ages, and experience) and the class size will continue to grow until it reaches 120 students by 2017 according to administration. Why? Because for every new physician graduating medical school in Alabama 2 physicians are retiring... so the PA program is committed to assisting in filling in the gap of primary care shortage. Furthermore, the program is no longer strictly a surgical program. It is still committed to offer advanced techniques and skills pertaining to surgery (as it always has since Dr. Kirklin started the program), but has opened up its clinical year rotations to primary care track, trauma/critical care track, and as assumed a surgical track. There is still a strong component of surgery at UAB, but it is no longer just strictly a surgical only PA program... so keep that in mind when applying. The need for PA's in Alabama is certainly one of priority so I would naturally assume the program is looking for individuals dedicated not only to the advancement of the profession, but equally dedicated to staying within the state of Alabama (I will be an out of state student in the Common Market System). It's an exciting time to become a PA... however, please to a very introspective look at yourself and ask yourself do you truly want to be a PA. I know Mr. Drace asked that same question at open house, and in the interview. It's vital really confront that question and have a solid answer why you wish to become a PA, and furthmore why you want to go to UAB. 

Anyways, I hope this helps.... and the class of 2017 looks forward to anyone accepted to the class of 2018!  

Good Luck to all you applicants!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does UAB have rolling admissions?

Wondering this myself, I didn't see any mention of rolling admissions, but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they were rejected from the program already.

Submitted my CASPA 8/4/15 and my supplemental should be arriving to UAB tomorrow.

Hey everyone! Also applying to UAB. Haven't submitted my CASPA application but will be doing so in the next few days (finalizing that personal statement is more work than expected!). This is my 2nd time applying to the program.

To MEDwar44-- thank you for sharing all of that info with us! I also have lower than desired GRE scores, but thousands of HCE hours, so thanks for making me feel at ease over that situation.

Good luck to everyone applying.. We can do this.

After UAB received my CASPA application and supplemental materials, they emailed me saying they have received both and will extend interview invitations in October via email.

How soon after sending in your supplemental did you hear back from them? I got an email saying they had received my CASPA and that I met minimum requirements and to go ahead and send the supplemental, but have not heard anything since then. Wondering if I should contact them because my supplemental should have arrived last Monday and I still haven't received any confirmation that they got it. 

How soon after sending in your supplemental did you hear back from them? I got an email saying they had received my CASPA and that I met minimum requirements and to go ahead and send the supplemental, but have not heard anything since then. Wondering if I should contact them because my supplemental should have arrived last Monday and I still haven't received any confirmation that they got it. 

I submitted my CASPA application on July 11th (all materials had been verified by CASPA by that time). I got an email saying they got my CASPA application and needed my supplemental materials on July 14th, which I had mailed that day. I received the email saying they had both on July 17th.

I also just checked the UAB website and it says that the campus just had final exams from August 1st through the 7th. I don't know if the PA program follows their main campus break schedule, but they might be on a break right now which might be why you haven't heard about your supplemental application. It certainly couldn't hurt to call and make sure they at least received your materials though.

Hey all,

I'll be starting at UAB this fall and got curious about the forums...decided to give my two cents. 

To give everyone an idea of what the admissions timeline may be like and are getting concerned or paranoid, I applied through CASPA about early July (I want to say the first week or so). I didn't wait until the middle of the month since my application was done in June. I heard back about a supplemental application that was due September 1st. I think I waited super last minute on this because I wasn't sure if I wanted to apply (the out-of-state tuition is absurd and I didn't know about the Academic Common Market then). Then I received an invite for an interview about two weeks before my interview date on November 7th. I want to say it was late November, early December when I received the phone call at 6PM EST! I was getting worried after seeing everyone that received their acceptance call...

And yes, they are on break right now. After summer semester I think there is about a two week break before the fall semester begins. The UAB PA program follows the Academic Calendar for the school. 

Just wanted to jump in and say hi to everyone! Hopefully more will join because I would love to compare notes and experiences on our journeys:) I already submitted my application through CASPA and did a small prayer before I did, lol...will submit the supp ap this week hopefully. Seconds time's the charm, right? ;)

Just wanted to jump in and say hi to everyone! Hopefully more will join because I would love to compare notes and experiences on our journeys:) I already submitted my application through CASPA and did a small prayer before I did, lol...will submit the supp ap this week hopefully. Seconds time's the charm, right? ;)

Hey there... 2nd attempt here too!

By your username, I must ask if you attended UAB for your undergrad?? If so, Go Blazers! 

Archived