16 year old wants to be a PA or nothing

My 16 year old said he wants to be a PA, nothing else.

He works at a local hospital in the day surgery center and has no desire to be an RN, OT, PT, etc. Any advise?

He plans on applying to Wagner College, Qunnipiac and 3 more.

We told him, we'll cover the undergraduate degree, everything is on him.

(Family tradition: parents on both side paid for undergrad degrees, the MBAs, JDs, MAs & EdDs are on the child)????

there are several direct entry BS/MS programs that last 5 years. might be worth looking into.

if he is motivated at 16 and already working in health care he really should consider taking out loans and going to medschool. there are also combined 7 yr BS/MD programs out there...

there are several direct entry BS/MS programs that last 5 years. might be worth looking into.

if he is motivated at 16 and already working in health care he really should consider taking out loans and going to medschool. there are also combined 7 yr BS/MD programs out there...

Think you mean 6 year. He should definitely consider these. http://www.premedhq.com/2011/07/list-of-bamd-programs.html?m=1

My 16 year old said he wants to be a PA, nothing else.

He works at a local hospital in the day surgery center and has no desire to be an RN, OT, PT, etc. Any advise?

He plans on applying to Wagner College, Qunnipiac and 3 more.

We told him, we'll cover the undergraduate degree, everything is on him.

(Family tradition: parents on both side paid for undergrad degrees, the MBAs, JDs, MAs & EdDs are on the child)????

Good for him. You might want to ask how he can be so sure of any career at such a young age but PA is a great career for those who know what it's all about and go in with eyes open. I would encourage him to keep up with the profession, get a BSc making sure he gets all the necessary PA school pre-reqs and continue to investigate other medical careers in the interim. We did the same thing. We paid for undergrad and our kids are paying for advanced degrees through loans, grants or whatever.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

5 years:

http://www.drexel.edu/undergrad/academics/accelerated-degrees/

you basically streamline the bs into 3 years then do a regular 2 yr pa program.

They actually list that as 7-8 if you click on the MD option. Not sure why they even put it under accelerated. It's confusing though because they out it right under psychology which is listed as 5 year.

• Administrator

Eh, I simply don't believe that any kid who has the smarts, drive, and discipline to succeed at an accelerated PA program right out of high school--regardless of HCE or lack thereof--will be satisfied working as an assistant for a 20+ year career.

I could be wrong, and am willing to recant my statement if disproven.  Anyone know any contrary examples so far?

Eh, I simply don't believe that any kid who has the smarts, drive, and discipline to succeed at an accelerated PA program right out of high school--regardless of HCE or lack thereof--will be satisfied working as an assistant for a 20+ year career.

I could be wrong, and am willing to recant my statement if disproven.  Anyone know any contrary examples so far?

Yes, this is another concern of mine.

If he can't get accepted into a PA program, what's a good backup we can guide him into?

The counselor at Quinnipiac said they accepted less than 10% of those that apply to the PA program.

Any thoughts on foreign PA programs? We hold dual citizenship with an EU country so that might be another option.

I could be wrong, and am willing to recant my statement if disproven. Anyone know any contrary examples so far?

Yes, this is another concern of mine.

If he can't get accepted into a PA program, what's a good backup we can guide him into?

The counselor at Quinnipiac said they accepted less than 10% of those that apply to the PA program.

Any thoughts on foreign PA programs? We hold dual citizenship with an EU country so that might be another option.

They exist. Although they might be called something else. Either way, he won't be able to come back to the US to work as a PA. The only way to do that is to attend an accredited program here.

It's nice of you to look into this for him and kudos for him for choosing a great profession.  However I have a hard time believing that ANYONE at 16 could really know what they want to do for the rest of their life.  Certainly not anyone I've ever met.

My advice is same for PA/RN/NP/MD/DO/etc.  Continue to rack up quality health care experience through a paid job, volunteer as/if time permits, and try to keep the GPA as close to 4.0 as possible.  And shadow, shadow, shadow to make sure you are doing what you want.

At 16, I wanted to be an astronomer. Then I took physics.

Point is, he can't say he wants to be a PA and nothing else until he gets some serious shadowing out of the way and see pros and cons!

Yeah I agree, we should actively discourage intelligent and driven young men and women from entering this lowly profession. 

At 12 I was going to be a tap dancer.  I finally took lessons at age 40.  Then I went into PA-dom and I'm still singing in the rain....I'm happy again.... just singin'

he should apply to the top unviersities he can get into and dual PA / undergrad programs. if accepted to a combo PA undergrad program you can always drop out. In fact most who gets accepted into the combo program do not matriculate because of low performance or lack of interest. You can then choose another degree.

I thinK PA is a fine career for young and old. You get some jaded people on this forum. But yes there is def a glass ceiling at this point in time and someone 22 and a PA I would imagine could become quite bored 20 years down the road. But most people these days switch careers several times. Whose to say the PA cannot become a healthcare consultant or hospital VP ? And according to AAPA PAs switch specialties several times a career as well so that is something else to note. 

if he decides to obtain a bachelor degree first I recommend he choose major carefully.MD and PA school is a challenge to get into and I see many BA bio majors unable to find reasonable work after rejection. 

Uncertain where the new abundance of PA schools will take us but in the moments thats the story.

Archived