Failed PANRE

Hi All,

I took my PANRE for the first time in Aug and failed. I've never failed any major exams in my life so this was a tough pill to swallow. I worked in Ortho and Urgent Care so I scored very well in Ortho and Cardio.  I did Exam Master questions and took the CME Resources course (2 months prior).  When I got my score, I missed it by 15 points which was even more devastating.  

For those who have failed the PANRE and passed on the second attempt, any words of advice? I am worried b/c I'm in my 6th yr. I wish I would have taken it in my 5th yr but was too busy getting licensures and certifications for other things that I needed for work. I'm not going through the Rutgers course and plan on doing any questions I can get my hands on.

Any words of advice would be helpful!

BTW, I work full time now in Home Care and have two toddles under the age of 2 so studying is done at late night only after all my charting is done for the day and sometimes, that can take hours.

I am very sorry to hear this. Buy this book... I have an older edition in PDF format that I could e-mail you if you don't want to spring for it (or you can rent it from amazon for 20 bucks until mid-December). Do the whole thing. You will be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Certification-Recertification-Examinations-Assistants/dp/145119109X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Edit: buying the book is still probably the best way to go, because you will get an access code for the online questions.

Thanks! I have the older books as well and I found it again and started that again. I also found a TON of pakrats and will do those as well. For some reason, I didn't get much out of the Exam Master questions so I may not do them again.  

As far as the HIPPO PA, I would love to do it but after having paid for so much now, not sure if I want to spend another $500. I wish I would have done that from the beginning.

Thanks! I have the older books as well and I found it again and started that again. I also found a TON of pakrats and will do those as well. For some reason, I didn't get much out of the Exam Master questions so I may not do them again.  

As far as the HIPPO PA, I would love to do it but after having paid for so much now, not sure if I want to spend another $500. I wish I would have done that from the beginning.

it's worth 500 bucks for the peace of mind that you will pass the next time around and keep your job...

I am very sorry to hear this. Buy this book... I have an older edition in PDF format that I could e-mail you if you don't want to spring for it (or you can rent it from amazon for 20 bucks until mid-December). Do the whole thing. You will be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Certification-Recertification-Examinations-Assistants/dp/145119109X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Edit: buying the book is still probably the best way to go, because you will get an access code for the online questions.

Did you feel like this book was adequate? I'm studying for PANCE and I feel like there is a lot that's missing… 

Everybody here has given you great advice.  Claire O'connel's book is my favorite.  I would absolutely get that today I totally agree.  The Davis book is pretty similar, and I have heard really good things about that as well. 

As far as a course goes... I did the UMDNJ / Rutgers course and really like it.  Don't know about hippo, but I hear good things.  I hear people discuss the cost of these programs all the time.  To me $500 is cheap.  A study plan, all the content you need, confidence from having done a thorough review, access to test questions.  That is a lot for $500.  Not to mention the emotional and financial costs of not pass in a second time.   To me, it's a no brainer.  

The other half of the battle is a good study plan.  From the very brief post you wrote I'm guessing you didn't have a thorough, complete plan.  You talk about 2 kids and a busy job.   Squeezing this stuff in the margins makes it really tough.  It needs to be a focus.  Even if that focus can only be for 4 hours a week.  Set some time aside so that you not worried about studying when your with your kids and worried about your kids when you studying.  Make it clear to everyone when you will be studying.  Then you need to map exactly what needs to be done in that four hours and get it done.  No interruptions during that block of time.   I would get up at 4:30  am on Saturday and Sunday and work until 6 then go the coffee shop and work until 10am.   My wife knew ahead of time that she had the kids until 10 am on the weekends.  I could get tons done that way.  Bottom line is you likely don't need more or different content, you need a plan.  

I get this question all the time and it is very important to realize that you're not alone.  There are lots of people who don't pass.  They don't post it on Facebook, but they are out there.

I created this podcast in order to answer some of the things your going though

Go here and hit the play button    http://www.physicianassistantexamreview.com/its-ok-if-you-failed/

Deep breaths, make a plan, good luck!

Sorry to hear that. I personally haven't been there simply because I haven't hard to recertify yet. My favorite book (and the only one I used for the PANCE) was A Comprehensive Review for the Certification and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistants by O'Connel. There is a newer version out now than the one I used a few years ago. Someone above mentioned this resource as well. In addition to that, I did questions from PAEasy.com and Exammaster. A few of my co-workers in the ED recently recertified using the book I mentioned and did well. It is straight and to the point. 

For some other ideas, check out the link in my signature. There are several top rated review resources of all different types. Good luck and let us know how much you destroy it 2nd time around!

Brian: I actually have been listening to your podcasts in the car. Since I drive all day, I can get at least one in before I see my pts.  Also, I purchased your book and it's been such a help so far.  When I was studying before, I dedicated 2-3 hrs a day and sometimes they weren't the most efficient. This time around, I do have a study plan and everyone around me knows that I am not available till after my exam.

I think I will purchase HippoPA.  I'll probably do the 4 hr review of it today and see how I like it.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I know I'm a good PA so it's just tough having failed the PANRE.

Did you feel like this book was adequate? I'm studying for PANCE and I feel like there is a lot that's missing… 

Definitely. Especially since you're studying for PANCE (as opposed to PANRE), you presumably graduated from PA school recently and, if you were able to do that, then you have a knowledge base that is strong enough for the book to be plenty adequate for board preparation purposes. No individual resource is going to cover everything to a depth that guarantees you to be fully prepared to answer any question that may be asked on the exam, but the point of these review books/courses/etc. is that they're designed to be focused, doable preparation methods that will help you pass an exam with a few weeks of studying. They won't prepare you to treat patients as a competent clinician or substitute for your 2+ years of schooling.

Brian: I actually have been listening to your podcasts in the car. Since I drive all day, I can get at least one in before I see my pts.  Also, I purchased your book and it's been such a help so far.  When I was studying before, I dedicated 2-3 hrs a day and sometimes they weren't the most efficient. This time around, I do have a study plan and everyone around me knows that I am not available till after my exam.

I think I will purchase HippoPA.  I'll probably do the 4 hr review of it today and see how I like it.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I know I'm a good PA so it's just tough having failed the PANRE.

If you did CME resources, did you not get the pass guarantee from them? What would that entail? Can you take advantage of this?

I would suggest 1 thing to you above all:

Look at your score report and see where you got hosed. Focus on those areas you did poorly in. If you did well in Cardio and MS then I would suggest focusing on several of the other big players such as Pulmonary, GI, EEENT and Reproductive.

Here is an article I show students I teach at a local PA program:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/08/27/study-techniques-that-work-and-surprisingly-dont/

I also recommend a book called Symptoms to diagnosis, an evidence based guide. Case studies in some broad general areas that tie many different concepts together.

As for tests to practice on, try the NCCPA practice exams:

http://www.nccpa.net/SelfAssessment

There seems to be anecdotal evidence that they may correlate well with the actual exam. On the other hand if you do well on them, they may boost your confidence.

Last, which area did you choose to in the PANRE to have the remaining 40% of questions? Primary care? Adult medicine? Surgery? Does your choice reflect what you do and have a good knowledge base in?

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

>>BTW, I work full time now in Home Care and have two toddles under the age of 2 so studying is done at late night only after all my charting is done for the day and sometimes, that can take hours.<<

One last thing, not sure what your day is like but taking home charts at night is ridiculous. You arent getting paid for that. Get them done during the day. You just have to do it. It will give you more time with your family and more time to focus on this test. Again, good luck.

GB PA-C

G Brothers: I wish I didn't have to take work home. This is my first job where I have to do that. Unfortunately, I have no choice because my home is my office since I only go to the actual office once a month, if that.  

Also, that's for those links, I did check them out and they are great!

There is a website www.paboardreview.org that is done by Joe Gilboy PA-C and I went to his class and passed with flying colors. His teaching method is excellent and he will have you laughing the entire time. There is now audio to his lecture along with the book just take a look it worked for me.

TJ

There is a website www.paboardreview.org that is done by Joe Gilboy PA-C and I went to his class and passed with flying colors. His teaching method is excellent and he will have you laughing the entire time. There is now audio to his lecture along with the book just take a look it worked for me.

TJ

+1 for Joe Gilboy. The guy is awesome. Off the hook, but brilliant! My program paid for him to give us a PANCE review and it definitely helped. I plan on using him for my PANRE prep.

Archived