Two new records in our department

These two records are unofficial but will treated as records in our little ER:

1. A blood sugar of 2075

2. A 22 month old male, perfectly healthy and no underlying health problems, with 46 visits to the ER, never once even being close to really "sick".

How do these compare with all of you in the Major Leagues?

record #1 impressive.

record #2. not even close. we have several pts with > 100 visits/yr for several yrs.

I work several different jobs in town and 1 of these pts I saw 3 times in the same 24 hrs for the same chronic complaint. " so how is your pain different than when I saw you this morning and this afternoon?"

Connecticut has a law that anyone found publicly intoxicated needs a medical evaluation, meaning we have a huge volume of ETOH patients. Some of our homeless guests are routinely scooped up 1-2x/day. It's not unusual to get one of the regulars signed out to you, discharge him when he's sober, and then get him back again before your shift is over. We've got multiple patients with visit numbers in the triple digits.

we had a guy that had been to our ER so many times all he had to do was sign in with his first name.

Oh and every christmas and on his bday the staff would give him a gift.

I think it started when his medicare was approved but by the time I started he was already 80 so Im not sure how many visits he had racked up

we had a guy that had been to our ER so many times all he had to do was sign in with his first name.

One of our most frequent drunks (call him John Doe) came in so often as a trauma response (fell, altered, bleeding from head), that the radiologists had a dictation macro set up for him. When they dictate studies they have the pre-written macro forms for the most common studies, so instead of dictating a completely normal abdominal CT they just say "Macro normal abdomen". The radiologist would just say "Macro John Doe", and it would fill in the usual "encephalomalacia, no acute traumatic injury".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived