-1st year 85k w/ guaranteed bump 2nd year to 100k + productivity (Quarterly bonus) 

-$1500 CME and 5 days CME time off

-2 weeks PTO; all holidays off

-All licenses and fees paid

-Malpractice insurance covered; no tail coverage

-401k match up to 6%

-HSA paid into by physicians, dental, vision benefits.

Details of job.  1st 2 years I will be working primarily outpatient.  Seeing 12 patients per day.  Required to do 1 weekend call per month.  3rd year I will transition to primarily consult service covering 3 hospitals in the area (5-6miles apart).  GI practice has 5 doctors and one PA currently.  I will be the 2nd PA coming on.  That is all of the details off the top of my head.  I personally think its a pretty good deal, what do you guys think?   There was no mention of adjusting compensation after transitioning to the consult service although I did plant the seed.  They stated that they haven't talked about that, but we could discuss it when we get there.  

Don't work in GI, can't comment on the details.

Obviously try to get that written in a contact (esp. Second year increase and how the bonus works).

Just out of curiosity, what will your "full" scope of practice eventually be? Will you perform routine colonoscopies? First assist in OR?

Don't work in GI, can't comment on the details.

Obviously try to get that written in a contact (esp. Second year increase and how the bonus works).

Just out of curiosity, what will your "full" scope of practice eventually be? Will you perform routine colonoscopies? First assist in OR?

For the 1st 2 years, I will be primarily seeing patients in clinic (ie. followups, complaints, etc).  I will not be performing any scopes or assisting in those procedures.  The only chargeable procedure I'll be able to do is reading pill cams.  I'm also expected to do 1 weekend call per month working on the GI consult service.  

Do you enjoy GI and see this as a long term gig? 85 is ok bump to 100 is great but will you stick around long enough to enjoy it?

I definitely enjoy gastroenterology.  I fell in love with it during my didactic training.  Did an elective rotation with the practice that I am joining and that experience solidified my desire to work in this specialty.  Plus it doesn't hurt that the practice is 8 minutes from my house.  

I definitely enjoy gastroenterology.  I fell in love with it during my didactic training.  Did an elective rotation with the practice that I am joining and that experience solidified my desire to work in this specialty.  Plus it doesn't hurt that the practice is 8 minutes from my house.  

All those are definitely +++ (Pluses) Good Luck Khoi BTW are you going to keep up with your blog now that you are out of school? 

I'm not sure what state this is in. 85k is national average. I'm also not sure how easy or difficult of a field GI is to break into.

That being said, if you feel confident about staying long enough to get the 2nd year pay increase, and they put that and the details of bonus in writing, and since you rotated there and liked it and like GI, it sounds like a pretty good job based on my limited experience. And after a couple years if you tire of GI I think the specialty experience will suit you well in most any other field.

I'm not sure what state this is in. 85k is national average. I'm also not sure how easy or difficult of a field GI is to break into.

That being said, if you feel confident about staying long enough to get the 2nd year pay increase, and they put that and the details of bonus in writing, and since you rotated there and liked it and like GI, it sounds like a pretty good job based on my limited experience. And after a couple years if you tire of GI I think the specialty experience will suit you well in most any other field.

This practice is in the DFW area.  

Only other concern is hours and if you go beyond 40 are you paid OT and are you paid extra for call.

The practice hours are 9-5 Mon - Fri however, I'm expecting to be working 45-50hrs per week especially in my 1st year as I'll be slow, learning, and getting adjusted to the practice.   There will be no additional compensation for the weekend call.    

• 2 weeks later...

All those are definitely +++ (Pluses) Good Luck Khoi BTW are you going to keep up with your blog now that you are out of school? 

I probably won' be keeping up with it anymore.  I may do one more video blog after graduation just to provide closure to my journey as a student.  I'm surprised there were people following my vlogs, :-)  I kinda let it go to the wayside after rotations started.  

Archived