Newly commissioned PA

Hi all - few questions that I would love opinions/advice on. I have been a civilian PA for roughly a handful of years. I recently commissioned into the Army reserves. My current full time employer is not supportive of this whatsoever. I understand there are laws in place to protect uniformed members. Since explaining to him the required commitment it has been nothing but a hostile environment - criticizing me on any possible thing, giving me the cold shoulder/ignoring me when not criticizing me, etc. - keep in mind we did have a good working relationship prior to this, I have been in this position for a few years now. Although I never loved the position and did not expect to be here for the extended long term, I was satisfied with it for the time being. Considering I have the military and also work a per diem position elsewhere, I am definitely considering moving on from this position as I do not think the hostile work environment is worth my stress and emotional health however I am contracted with my current employer. What have been your experiences with telling your civilian providers that you joined? What specialties have you found most suitable to the lifestyle? Would love any and all advice on the issue, thank you. 

Edited by BB321
Additions/spelling

While I haven't been in your shoes, I have had multiple colleagues in the reserves over the years who were treated respectfully. Both in jobs with 12-hour shifts, one private practice and the other big hospital system, ortho trauma and trauma, both inpatient. The burden does fall on the civilian colleagues to pick up those uncovered shifts (can be a positive for someone who wants overtime; sometimes the reserves person picks up shifts when they get back so it balances out) or the employer to hire someone to cover, which can create a tough situation. Good communication and a good team dynamic are key. 

On 3/27/2024 at 7:35 PM, BB321 said:

Hi all - few questions that I would love opinions/advice on. I have been a civilian PA for roughly a handful of years. I recently commissioned into the Army reserves. My current full time employer is not supportive of this whatsoever. I understand there are laws in place to protect uniformed members. Since explaining to him the required commitment it has been nothing but a hostile environment - criticizing me on any possible thing, giving me the cold shoulder/ignoring me when not criticizing me, etc. - keep in mind we did have a good working relationship prior to this, I have been in this position for a few years now. Although I never loved the position and did not expect to be here for the extended long term, I was satisfied with it for the time being. Considering I have the military and also work a per diem position elsewhere, I am definitely considering moving on from this position as I do not think the hostile work environment is worth my stress and emotional health however I am contracted with my current employer. What have been your experiences with telling your civilian providers that you joined? What specialties have you found most suitable to the lifestyle? Would love any and all advice on the issue, thank you. 

Have you talked to them to find out why exactly are they acting this way? Meet with them to discuss this and see if the reason for the hostility is your military service. If it is, get that in writing. I would contact USERRA to see if they have any guidance as well. I know they typically cover employment/reemployment but it would be good to see if they also deal with hostile work environments.

You’re planning on moving on anyway so I would go ahead and the do that quickly before things get messier.