California Voters to Consider Random Drug Testing for Doctors

Guest Paula

I've had to undergo employment drug screening for my job(s) and one of my employers did randoms after hiring.  I see this as a 2 edged sword.  Maybe in the light of "safety" medical doctors need to be screened.  Why not?  They hold the lives of patients in their hands.  Do you want to be treated by a physician under the influence of a mind altering drug?  This state law will set up another bureaucracy and might offer shovel ready jobs to Californians. The pee-testers will be part of a large Union and Barbara and Nancy will get elected into perpetuity. 

On the other hand the medical boards and employers have their own criteria and methods of dealing with physicians who are substance abusers and they should not have to buckle under yet another mandate from the government who keeps fiddling with us. 

I wonder how many times a physician has caused harm bc he was under the influence ? 

I wonder how many physicians (or PAs) are on chronic pain mgmt , ADHD medication, anxiety treatment that will now need special testing

I wonder if we should test cops, firefighters, army, taxi / bus divers, nurses, pharmacists, etc..   I realize some of those professions we do , at least initially anyways. 

And can you imagine what it will be like to deal with this office when they mix up your sample. I spent over 50 minutes recently on the phone with a medical license office with a DOH. It was an unreal experience. It made me so appreciative I work with people who are kind, hardworking, and intelligent. I could not believe the lack of customer service and decency involved. 

Wow! This is a tough one because my usual rules of thumb are in conflict. If Barbara and Nancy are for it, I'm definitely against it. But if the unions are against it, then I'm for it. On the other hand, if the trial lawyers want it, something stinks in Denmark and I am against it.

Let's face it, good idea or not, this measure has some glaring problems: Trial lawyers want this as a means of increasing lawsuit awards. More payouts means more lawsuits driven by the higher awards, which means higher malpractice insurance, which means more qualified docs retire or leave CA and healthcare access declines as costs go up. But don't worry, when the docs bail, they can be replaced by FMGs who didn't get matched sporting the new title of assistant physician, just like in MO. I wonder if the docs will be required to post their drug test certificate next to their med school diploma and residency certification. "This is to verify that Dr./Assistant Physician (name)_________passed his/her randomized drug test on (date) ____________. Note: if you suspect this provider of being under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances, please contact the Department Of Physician Evaluation and Reprobation at 888-555-DOPER"

I am reminded that CA voters voted for the high speed rail system linking one place no one wants to live to somewhere else no one wants to live...and they believed the totally bogus cost estimates. (Now they're regretting it.) So I wouldn't place my faith in the voters. But then, again, I wouldn't place my faith in the politicians.

Should MDs and other healthcare workers be randomly drug tested? Perhaps...If the measure is properly drafted to ensure patient safety rather than to line the pockets of unscrupulous patients and greedy attorneys. If this is going to be done, the state medical board should write the rules. I have some faith in them (just a little) but absolutely none in the lawyers who have their hands all over the current bill. I guess I really can't get behind this measure so I vote NO! Never mind, I can't. Thank god I live in Texas now. Come to think of it, that's why I left CA.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps someone can explain it to me, I don't understand the opposition to random drug tests; if you're not doing something you shouldn't, who cares? All of the EMS jobs I've worked have had "random" drug testing as an option, along with the ability to drug test anyone if they have reason to suspect they're using.  

Privacy.

Providers, or any worker, should be tested if they are acting impaired. Why test a PA/doc with a stellar record, no complications, no litigation, and good patient satisfaction? What are we going to fix? 

Why not check your email to see what you are up to?

Or pull your credit report and see of you are financially responsible? Maybe being in debt would force you to make less than ethical choices.

Lots of things could happen, but we should focus resources on what is necessary, not possible.

Archived