^^^ I just looked back at mine to see what the "mean" was and I don't find it listed.  I do know that you don't want to see me if you have an endocrine problem (very surprising to me since I like being able to follow feedback mechanisms), and not surprisingly derm or psych (I'd love to have an idea as to what my score would have been if I had done average on two of the three areas considering that I'll concede psych).  So if you're a diabetic with schizophrenia and you have a rash, steer clear of me.

Hippo PA is good because it is entertaining and you wont fall asleep.

I did the online Rutgers review when I did PANRE 2011, did a lot of nodding off with that.

Walked out of my 2 PANRE in my career saying wtf.

Scored in the 90% on both so must have been smarter than I looked.

I think the take home point on review resources is that they are all based upon the content blueprint.

Doesnt mean the content will directly reflect what the questions will be.

I think the best strategy is to take a self assessment exam similar to the PANRE, see where you stink and focus on weak areas. The AAPA/PAEA review book offers this and you will get Cat 1 CME for doing it. Also know the percentages that make up the exam. That means being strong in cardiovascular, pulmonary, ortho and gi medicine. 

This is an area that needs study. I did see a study out of one PA program that required students to build a portfolio based upon the content blueprint. Forced them to search out and utilize the information in a practical way: 

http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=action/GetDocumentAction/i/60851

Over the long term, it seemed a practical way to put everything together. Does not seem a practical thing to do 6-8 weeks out. For that, I think one of the cram review courses would serve the purpose or an online review at home, though these require some committment, very easy to blow this off and watch HBO.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

I just took PANRE in February.  I wish I just took it cold in my 5th year and then if not pass study and retake.  I scored at the mean and I work in PM&R since graduating.  The only studying that I did was a three day CME resources course. 

agree. I have taken panre 3 times and never spent more than an hr or 2 reviewing before each test and alwaysd passed by a wide margin. as long as you work primary care/em/urgent care you know this stuff. if you work in a subspecialty a review course and/or hippo pa is probably your best bet.

Or if you've followed this forum for the past year and a half and noted the comments from some that their perception was that the exam was harder now than in years past.  Said comments necessitated my reviewing with HIPPO PA.  Bottom line, if you're comfortable in your own skin, work in a primary care setting, especially if you have a couple of years of experience, I would expect one to do adequately enough.  For me, HIPPO PA was worth it just for the CME I, however in retrospect I'm not sure that their information made much of a difference with my overall score.

agree. I have taken panre 3 times and never spent more than an hr or 2 reviewing before each test and alwaysd passed by a wide margin. as long as you work primary care/em/urgent care you know this stuff. if you work in a subspecialty a review course and/or hippo pa is probably your best bet.

I'll let you know after Saturday =P

Archived