How much emphasis on interview preparation should there be?

Hypothetically let say I get invited to several interviews...

I've seen books, articles, etc that claim to prepare you for interviews. I was wondering if these are effective and should be utilized? Or do they make you sound like phony candidate and would it be better to go in with a fresh mind?

Hopefully what I am asking makes sense.

First of all, good luck on your application process. I hope you have some interviews.

This topic has been discussed often and there are differences of opinion I'm sure. There are some standard questions that you will be asked (like why do you want to be a PA instead of something else, what is a PA in your opinion, etc). For those, some thinking in advance is a good idea and reading a book isn't a bad idea. 

For other questions, their goal will be to get you to think on your feet. Acting like the Manchurian Candidate (look it up!) is probably not a good idea. You do want to be yourself while, in my opinion anyway, acting like you would if your boyfriend or girlfriend invited you to meet their parents (which was a heck of a long time ago with me but I remember it well!). 

Know why you are applying to be a PA and know what PAs do. Beyond that, be yourself and a refined version (but still with a spark).

Good luck.

I've struggled with the same question. In addition to what UGo said, I would advise you to have your brain loaded with all the information you need to answer questions intelligently.

For instance, based on my experiences, there is a 50/50 shot you will get a question that requires detailed knowledge of the difference between a PA and a NP. You can't necessarily know and prepare for the exact question they will ask, but you can learn everything you can about that difference so you can come up with an intelligent answer on the spot. 

I did a fair amount of interview prep, but I chose the more "soul-searching" route. I really took some time to ponder exactly what about PA excited me, why nothing else would do, how my varied life experiences had prepared me, etc. Then I practiced on anybody who would listen, not necessarily in a formal mock interview kind of way, but in a way that allowed me to channel my enthusiasm, which I was then able to harness and project during my interviews.

I also think that your world in the day and hours before the interview is important. Take care to find yourself in a good mental and physical space before you go in to an interview. Most of mine were at least half a day, if not more, and required a surprising amount of stamina!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm sure a lot of programs ask "why" and maybe ask you to explain difference in PA and NP.  For me, I don't care. Everyone interviewing wants to be a PA and the difference between an NP and PA (at interview) is irrelevant.  I only have a couple minutes with you.  I WON'T waste it on these types of questions.  An interview allows me to see more depth (soft skills) of a candidate.  

If I am interviewing you, be ready to show quick thought, conviction, defense, and ethical behavior on any topic that might come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived