Are PAs and NPs "interchangeable"?

Are PAs and NPs Interchangeable?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that for a given position, PAs and NPs are interchangeable? Please provide any explanation.

Topic of discussion at my institution. 

For a department looking to hire a non-physician provider, should they recruit for "PA or NP", or would one be preferable over the other based only on the credentials they carry?

Assume equal clnical experience, but not necessarily degree (eg DNP vs MPAS).

Thanks!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Paula

I voted yes.  If same clinical experience (and they are competent) then I say are interchangeable.  But then......

I would love to hear the discussion at your institution.  Are you involved in it?  As a PA I would support hiring a PA. 

HAHA love your avatar!

Guest Paula

Here's another thought I cogitated on overnight:

If the position included any type of management responsibilities along with clinical the DHSc/DNP would probably get preference over one without.  Not all PAs/NPs are good at or want administrative duties.  

Some might rise to the challenge without the D behind their name and do a stellar job.  But is perception reality in the world of human resource departments?

You're always hiring an individual regardless of degree. 

Although often used interchangeably, I would argue are very different products. 

They obviously undergo very different educational models. 

As EMEDPA eluded, an NP has a limited scope of practice and you may have to recruit a very specific NP for the job with very little latitude professionally.   I personally believe that a broad education matters as well as experience. 

There are numerous objective measures that favor the PA. 

Interchangeable? Not really. Depends on who you ask. It's easier to mold a new grad PA due to the generalist nature of our training than a new grad NP. It's also depend on specific needs of the practice or groups. Very specialty dependent.

A very good MD friend owns a FM clinic who lost his PA of ten + years ended up hiring an NP. He said to me, the difference between a PA and an NP is NPs thinks like a nurse. His words not mine.

if we are going to boil down to general ideas

if < 3 years out of school the PA > NP - our education is just so much better!

if in the hospital environment - PA > NP - most NP programs have such small clinical hour requirements and it is possible to never step foot in a hospital and become an NP

If a small practice  NP>PA - the $44k for Hitech is a huge deciding factor and in the PCP world an NP is okay (I still think PAs are better prepared having worked with both PA and NP)

In hospital - commonly PA gets the specialty jobs - as we are actually trained to do them, but if the nursing union is strong or their is a nursing influence in the admin - ie senior management came from the nursing fields - then they are likely to hire NP

Overall the PA education is just so much better I have a tough time siding with NP early on....

BUT as a small business owner, in the process of hiring - for a Geri House Call clinician, I would take either - and in fact in MASS an NP can sign a Death Cert and a PA can not - it would be nice to have someone else besides my SP to sign a death Cert.

tough question......

I guess it depends.

I've worked with 4 different NPs (all FNPs)  in our practice (a mixed inpatient and outpatient practice) over the past few years and have found the following:

1. They're good people who care about our patients

2. Their experience varies wildly, generally depending more on what they did as nurses than what they learned in their relatively-limited NP clinicals. The NPs who have come to our place did 400 hours in their primary area and another 200 in optional rotations. 

3. Patients accept them (they know what an NP is, as opposed to what a PA is, in general)

4. They seem to have a bit more of an issue adjusting to things outside of their prior clinical experience than the PAs I have known.

5. If you want a good NP, find one who either trained in your specialty or worked in it extensively as a nurse.

6. If you want a good PA, find one with a good work ethic. The generalist training seems to be a big advantage.

That said, I like NPs and have enjoyed training and working with them. They do good work.

Topic of discussion at my institution. 

For a department looking to hire a non-physician provider, should they recruit for "PA or NP", or would one be preferable over the other based only on the credentials they carry?

Assume equal clnical experience, but not necessarily degree (eg DNP vs MPAS).

Thanks!

They are relatively interchangeable as long as the NP is within their scope of practice.  NP by their specialty. ACNP for inpatient and critical care. FNP or ANP for primary care. PACNP and ACNP for full practice EM (not urgent care). RNFA for OR. Or you can hire someone that can work anywhere that their SP can (PA). 

I initially voted "no," but re-read the qualifications.  NPs and PAs are interchangeable, certainly on the internal medicine/family practice side of the house.  ER as well.  Surgery is where it gets a little more tricky.  A 2 year seasoned PA will be better, likely, than a 2 year seasoned NP in surgical assisting, procedures, and post-op care - they may still be interchangeable, but the PA will perform better.  The difference is because the training of each is different.  PAs get exposure to surgery, and a lot of it.  NPs get little or none as their core requirements are different.  So it's a guarded "yes." 

I initially voted "no," but re-read the qualifications.  NPs and PAs are interchangeable, certainly on the internal medicine/family practice side of the house.  ER as well.

there are far more em pas than em nps and pas are the "midlevel provider of choice" according to acep.

I'm sure there are jobs out there for nps working solo in rural facilities seeing all pts of all acuities and doing all procedures. I have just never seen one. the vast majority of these jobs are offered to pas, most who were former medics.

I initially voted "no," but re-read the qualifications.  NPs and PAs are interchangeable, certainly on the internal medicine/family practice side of the house.  ER as well.  Surgery is where it gets a little more tricky.  A 2 year seasoned PA will be better, likely, than a 2 year seasoned NP in surgical assisting, procedures, and post-op care - they may still be interchangeable, but the PA will perform better.  The difference is because the training of each is different.  PAs get exposure to surgery, and a lot of it.  NPs get little or none as their core requirements are different.  So it's a guarded "yes." 

Why would a PA and NP, each with 2 yrs surgical experience, be unequal in performance/competency?

there are far more em pas than em nps and pas are the "midlevel provider of choice" according to acep.

I'm sure there are jobs out there for nps working solo in rural facilities seeing all pts of all acuities and doing all procedures. I have just never seen one. the vast majority of these jobs are offered to pas, most who were former medics.

ACEP actually took a position on it?

They are relatively interchangeable as long as the NP is within their scope of practice.  NP by their specialty. ACNP for inpatient and critical care. FNP or ANP for primary care. PACNP and ACNP for full practice EM (not urgent care). RNFA for OR. Or you can hire someone that can work anywhere that their SP can (PA). 

Any literature on this?

ACEP actually took a position on it?

the president of acep made this statement at a sempa conference a few years ago. sempa also is allowed to send reps to several acep committees. acep also helped write the caq in em. they are firmly in the pas corner. acep also helps manage sempa administratively with support from their organization.

the president of acep made this statement at a sempa conference a few years ago. sempa also is allowed to send reps to several acep committees. acep also helped write the caq in em. they are firmly in the pas corner. acep also helps manage sempa administratively with support from their organization.

We have a similar relationship between STS and APACVS

I'm not so sure that the initial edge is lost, except for the actual field of practice. After 2 years (or whatever), one would expect an NP and a PA who have been practicing in the same area to be pretty much equivalent. The PA who has to keep taking the PANRE has to keep up some of his or her generalist skills and that might translate into being more readily able to transition to a new area. Just a thought.

I'm not so sure that the initial edge is lost, except for the actual field of practice. After 2 years (or whatever), one would expect an NP and a PA who have been practicing in the same area to be pretty much equivalent. The PA who has to keep taking the PANRE has to keep up some of his or her generalist skills and that might translate into being more readily able to transition to a new area. Just a thought.

My question is specifically related to the field of practice; although it is further upstream.

As a recruiter, if you need to fill a surgical or EM position, would you recruit ONLY to PAs?

Would you post a job listing as "PA or NP"?

Are there practices where a PA or NP should not even be considered based on credential alone?

Comes down to prejudice and bias.

Archived