Help to decide..New Grad job offers...

Hi fellows , I need help to decide as I am a New grad but with good past medical experience.

I have some very good job offers but I wanted to decide between 2 of them ..

Job one (Urgent Care )  Maryland

45 per hours 

full health for family and self

15 day PTO

5 day personal 

2K CME

Malpractice with Tail 

Job two (ER ) Kentucky

55 per hour

600 dollar health insurance per month for self and family

no PTO

No Personal

No CME

Malpractice with Tail 

other benefits like retirement etc are same..

I need some input to decide ...Maryland and Eastern Kentucky are very different states for PAs. I am currently living in Kentucky near to that ER job offer but I use to live in New Jersey not far from Maryland offer .Kentucky is very PA unfriendly law state and MD is very PA friendly .

thanks

Maryland.

The xtra $10 per hour wont make up for the health insurance premium monthly and lack of cme $$.

The one thing you didnt mention is your hourly contractual obligation.

At either job, what are you obligated to work? In Kentucky, are you told that you will only work so many hours a year?

I am also assuming that if you want to supplement income, you may be more likely to in MD vs KY?

Which place is your family more amenable to since they had to deal with the sacrifice over the last 2 years to get you where you are now?

Last, you can always counter to Maryland with $50 an hour, tell them you are considering 2 jobs, the other is paying better and this is a way to swing your decision their way. Worst they can say is no.

Kudos on malpractice with a tail.

Good luck.

George Brothers PA-C

Thanks George Brother ...

The Maryland Job offer say minimum 40 hours per week but told I can pick 50 or 60 hours as they need more coverage at multiple sites .

The Kentucky ER told in order to consider full time I have to work 120 hours per month 12 hour 10 shifts .

I wanted to counter MD with 50 dollars but they counter my wife also PA student graduate next year with job in peds and offer elective in peds . so I stop pushing more . 

MD offer all the way. MD is a PA friendly state and a great market for UC business. I interviewed with a group six years ago but ended up turning the offer down as I wasn't ready to move. The weather is beautiful and the area are drawn to young working professionals.

Excellent advice above.

You did not mention scope of practice of each location and what your personal ambition is.

If you feel you want to see more and treat more than URI, MSK, lacs, etc then urgent care may pigeon hole you compared to a new grad who has main ED experience after one year (or any acute care experience such as cath lab PA, neurosurgery, etc.). It is much harder to move up on acuity.

Does the Kentucky ER position include working the main ED (any training)? Or just fast track/urgent care?

If you feel content with urgent care/family practice then MD. :)

If not, it might be worthwhile to get experience for 1 year in main ED then leave... you will be far more attractive and marketable than after 1 yr of urgent care.

Yes that is the big thing .. Even ER pay is not great and Kentucky has no comparison to Maryland but ER I got offer .. I will be working in main ED and learning is top notch as 2 physicians and 4 PA works their at time .. And it is busy 55k volume .. It is hard to beat learning experience to get in ER .. I really have hard time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Paula

Where does your wife attend PA school?  Are you saying she is offered a position already in peds in MD when she graduates?  I am a little confused.  You live in KY so if wife is in PA school in KY for one more year, take the KY job and get the experience in the ER.

I hear KY not the best PA friendly state but you might be able to tolerate it for one more year and get mentorship from the physicians.  What does your wife say?  They tend to be intuitive about these type of things. 

Paula my wife is in Kentucky and attending PA school in eastern Ky.. she is doing rotations , she say what ever is better decide , as her last 4-5 rotation including electives can be arranged in Maryland.. so it will be not a big issue . I am currently thinking to start Maryland urgent care full time as 40 hours and try to get into near by ER in Maryland as PRN or part time  , I hope it work 

Guest Paula

Sounds like a good plan, maybe best of both worlds.  When both you and wife are practicing PAs together you will rock! 

I am currently thinking to start Maryland urgent care full time as 40 hours and try to get into near by ER in Maryland as PRN or part time , I hope it work

Smart decision! Maryland is the place to be.

You and your wife will make a killing as practicing PA.

Maryland - they are hiring a professional and treating you like one

Kentucky - they are taking advantage of you - looking for CHEAP labor at any cost

no choice there

my only question - how did you politely and professionally tell the Kentucky one that they are WAY OFF BASE on everything except their pay.....

Guest Paula

Thank you for the offer.  However, I have accepted an offer from the state of Maryland as they treat the PA position as a professional medical provider with benefits, family insurance, CME, personal time off plus PTO, etc.  They made it clear to me that they want PAs to have similar benefit packages as the physicians as they feel it enhances the collaboration between the PA and MD.   

I would be interested in a locums position with KY if you have any openings for a prn employee.  

Or some such statements.  Might need to be brushed up a little to be a bit more politically correct.  

Ok Paula .. That is very good way to say no .. But I have different idea of saying no ...they Maryland job has a one year contract and Kentucky job want to give 90 days notice before leaving .. So guess what I do ..

If you are young and starting out, and can live anywhere, then go to where the soil is the most fertile. You can always change jobs later (and you probably will).

From what I read, life for PAs in Kentucky right now does not appear to be as promising as in Maryland. I hope things change, and I wish the best to the KY PAs who are trying to make it better. Still, if you can live anywhere, why not go to a place with less resistance?

I finished high school and went to college in Maryland and it's a fine place to live. Anything from little rural towns in the western mountains to seaside resorts in the east, plus big cities in Baltimore, Annapolis and DC. Shock-Trauma in Baltimore, a true statewide trauma system, U of Md,  Johns Hopkins, good PA programs and hospitals in DC, etc. 

Wherever you go, best wishes!

Yes Ugolong I believe one should live where his or her profession is respected .. After very hard 2 month try I finally able to find good job offers .. But during my research for jobs I found one thing similar state which are not so PAs friendly the offers are hard to get and if u get they are very low pay and benifit .. And above all u work in place like eastern Kentucky and lose a job ..u have to leave town or even state because their are very few job available and if your spouse is working also that make things even harder as I saw families are living apart because both spouse cannot find job in same place or driving distance .. I have very hard time to find job for me then think what happen after one year as my wife will be looking job next year any case things are very tricky .. That's y I come to this wonderful forum to ask some smart fellows like you all ..

Thanks

Archived