PA associations

• Administrator

1. AAPA.  They still have a good deal on student membership, even though I don't recommend paying real money to them for professional dues.

2. Your state PA association.  Network, network, network!

3. Any specialty PA organization in the discipline you want to get into, e.g. SEMPA, AFPPA, etc.

4. PAFT, just because.

I think that joining associations before and during PA school is a good idea. It gives you a look at what you are getting yourself into and also shows a commitment to the profession.

I am not always happy with organizations I have belonged to (that includes my Congressional district!), but we still need to participate. If everyone quits organizations that don't meet their expectations, then the organizations won't need to change. I've belonged to AAPA since I was thinking about becoming a PA and I continue to do so. I am seeing some signs of positive change and think that's great. Without a strong national voice, you are basically screwed.

At the state level, I've belonged to my state PA organization since I was a student. I still belong and I go to at least their annual conference. You get to know people and develop relationships, plus this is the group that is most likely to work for changes that enhance your ability to practice. To me, it's a no-brainer. Our state organization, small though it may be, has worked successfully for meaningful change over the 10 years I've belonged.

That brings me to PAFT. I have become a member because I like the objectives of the organization. It's a small group (I think) but it is pushing for the kind of change the profession needs over time. I feel that it's worth my support so I support it.

There is not much of a specialty group in my field, so I haven't kept up my membership there; I figured it was just as effective to join the American College of Cardiology, which my job pays for.

I try to stay active with my PA program because I really appreciate the opportunity it gave me and would like to see it help others. You can't really pay back, but you can pay forward. We can help by precepting, letting pre-PAs shadow, and -- when your finances allow -- donating to help needy students have a chance.

Things can be tight when you're a student, but most of the organizations have steep discounts for students, and the cost of an affiliate membership (before you are even a student) isn't bad either.

You are becoming part of a new culture; take advantage of its natural groups.

• 8 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd just reply to this one...

For a Pre-PA interested in networking (mostly to gain shadowing experience) which is the best organization to join? I know AAPA provides a directory through which I can search for PAs close to me. Do any other organizations provide this, and do you recommend any over AAPA? I live in VA so VAPA is my state org.

I am a affiliate member of AAPA and it's great! Membership includes a subscription to JAAPA. Most of the time, it is over my head but it still gives me good idea on what to expect as a PA. Sometimes I take the CME quizzes just for fun! LOL.  Also, the Medical Watch emails from AAPA keep me informed on current issues affecting PA practice and current clinical findings.

Like UGoLong said, all of this gives me an idea on what to anticipate and the kinds of things I will be required to know once I enter the profession.

Edit: Oops, I replied to the original post and not the new addition. But I'll leave my post as is just in case someone searches for the topic.

Archived