Family Practice New Grad Offer

Hi guys.  I am basically writing because I need reassurance.  I am graduating in May and accepted a FP position in a small town in the midwest.  I never wanted to do family practice, but accepted it due to what I think was a good offer.  I am also three hours from home..but thought the sacrifice might be worth paying off my 70k in student loan debt.  I am also hoping this will help me gain experience so I can move to a larger city and use the experience as leverage for higher pay. What do you guys think?

4.5 days per week with "back up" admitting call every 6th weekend (very small hospital so MAYBE one admittance a weekend). No OB.

Base salary 105K/year with 10k in RVU bonus

5k sign on bonus

2500 relocation

2-4% cost of living increase guaranteed each year

5 days, 2k in CME

12 days PTO, 6 paid holidays and 4 "floating" holidays (basically get to pick what your holidays are)

12 sick days. 2 personal days.

Decent health insurance, long/short term disability.  Occurrence based liability.  Unsure about tail coverage.

Hospital pays for all licensing, PANCE exam, etc.

I also have a very, very helpful recruiter that works for the hospital that is working on getting me student loan repayment.  Clinic is VERY high need so have a higher chance of getting aid - although not guaranteed of course.

Cost of living is very reasonable -  looking at a smaller, newer house for 65k. 

The hospital/clinic are very new and facilities are nice. They actually have advanced facilities with new CT, MRI, ultrasound, mammogram, etc..  They even have a full time orthopoedic surgeon as well as general surgeon.  So not too terribly remote. I will get my own office with a cherry wood desk and a large window :)

Guest Paula

That is a nice base salary for a new grad in FP.  Is it guaranteed and you will get RVU bonus on top of it?  Is it a base salary that will eventually be switched to RVU only? 

Curious where this is. I live in the midwest.  I understand you probably don't want to identify where it is but midwest is pretty nice.  Except for the 12 inches of snow we got last night on top of the 4 feet in the backyard already. 

I went through it many times. Had a PA and my brother as a doctor read through it. Nothing fishy about it. It was a three year contract but 90 day notice if I want to leave. That is because Minnesota is a "at will" state and you can quit or be fired any time despite contract.

Guest Paula

Job is in southern Minnesota. Base will not change, only guaranteed to go up. CFO and other pa there said almost guaranteed to get all of the bonus.

I'm a Minnesotan at heart since I was born there.  I grew up in Southwestern MN.  I miss MN and the Vikings when they were a good team back in the 70's.

What's not to like about the contract!

The real issue , for me, is: will you be able to learn.. Be mentored.. Be able to get rapid feedback on patients and conditions before you get into trouble?

If they are used to new graduates and are willing to let you "ease" into the job both in numbers of patients per day and in complexity of patients, then this sounds like a great first job.

I've heard of rural areas offering big bucks to new grads and a lot of benefits, but that offer sounds like a dream coming from someone about to graduate.

With that said, and like everyone else has said, I would REALLY look into what kind of load they're expecting you to take and whether you're going to have good mentoring. That's a big deal for me personally because I know I'll need good teaching in the beginning and I've been told that some starting jobs are just too overwhelming for starting PAs.

If you have one or two good Physicians on hand to walk you through, this looks like a great job.

• 3 weeks later...

I''m a little late to this topic.

I'm working in north central MN in family practice and that offer sounds great for a new grad (more than my FP salary in year 3 of work!). All of our days off are lumped together (vacation, cme, sick, etc), which I prefer as I am not sick that often. Do your days roll over if unused? Or is it "use it or lose it"?

I echo the other comments about making sure you have a supportive work environment to learn. What would be the number of patients you are expected to see per day, do they have a minimum? Are you familiar with their EMR or documentation process - that can slow you down or force you to work late if the system is not easy to work with. Out of curiosity - what is the RVU number you need to get to get the bonus? We dabbled with RVU stuff, but it didn't work out well for us. 

for loan repayment, there is the state program and the National NHSC loan repayment ( should have a HPSA greater than or equal to 15/16 to have a chance).

As long as it is a supportive place of work, it sounds like a great offer for a new grad!

Archived