Starting PA school soon, HCE opinions. Sorry for the lengthly submission

First off I wish to express my gratitude and sheer excitement to become part of the PA family! Although school hasn't started I have found myself running around to complete pre-orientation requirements (physical, immunizations, transcripts, etc.).  I have also spent copious hours reading almost all posts made within this forum, and discovered some pertinent information to help guide me through this new journey.  

Babbling aside, I want some input from PA students and practicing PA's in regards to my personal situation. There has been much dialogue about Healthcare experience and how quality experience is essential for not only program success, but also job acquisition  upon graduation.  I am curious as to how well my personal healthcare experience has equipped me for my future endeavor.  I am 24 years old and graduated with a double bachelors in Microbial Cell Science and Food science Human Nutrition, GPA- 3.89 SGPA 3.91 GRE Verbal 158 Quantitative 167 . Throughout my 4 years of High School (yes high school) and subsequent winter and summer breaks throughout undergrad I worked within a Primary Physicians office.  At first filing was the extent of my duties, but after that first year of work my responsibilities graduated to basic MA tasks: PT history, Vital signs, and EKG testing.  Whilst working in the Dr's office I also gained knowledge of Lab testing, imaging results, and health insurance billing.  Furthermore, throughout undergrad I volunteered in the ER for 2 years biweekly, I shadowed a pediatric orthopedic surgeon along with interoffice PAs, and taught a medical careers class which had a section devoted to the PA profession.  

Aside from the MA work I did within the DR's office, I have no other DIRECT PT contact experience.  I would like to know how detrimental this will be to my studies and future job search.  After reading a few blogs describing how it's a shame programs accept applicants with low-quality experience and how it'll reek havoc on my future, I found my excitement has been replaced with fear.  I never questioned my PT care experience nor doubted my future clinical abilities until now.  I guess the few forum naysayers really have me slumming :(... Maybe i just need some words of encouragement.  

P.S. This forum has been a blessing, providing a surplus of quality information, I am gracious to all members making posts to help guide the current and future generations of physician assistants :).  

I think you really underestimate your potential when it comes to dealing with patients. Just speak to them as you would prefer to be spoken to. Don't make each conversation about yourself and what you can do, but instead aim each convo centered around your patient (where they are from, what they like to do, throw in some tasteful humor here in there). Tact is not something you learn from a book but something you acquire over time through your own experiences and also by watching how other professionals communicate with their patients. You'll be great in time, just be patient! Amazing PAs are not created. They are made over time with hard, hard work.

Reading through your stats and experience, you sound smart and motivated. You have no reason to doubt yourself, especially since you haven't even started your program yet. The important thing is to learn everything you can over the next year or so, and then go out and rock your clinicals. Make them want to hire you. 

Just ignore the negativity too. In the end it's pointless and unproductive. If people really feel strongly about something they don't like, then it's up to them to do something about it instead of whining on a blog.

• Administrator

There is no way to gain life experience, which seems to be the only thing you're really lacking, except by living life.  So live life!  All other things being equal (note the caveat, called out because too many people miss this point when I post about it), life experience makes one better in practicing medicine. The promise that PAs already had a clue about how the world worked is part of the original promise of the profession... but you're far from the only one admitted without enough, so there's really nothing to be gained by withdrawing at this point. Make the best of it!

Don't fret it. I assume that you have been accepted in a program. Great!

You may practice interviewing skills in you first year. During your clinical rotations you will hone your interviewing skills. One thing that is hard to remember as you go through a program is that all of those PA's, doctors, and nurses with years of experience started at the same spot you are in. They were all students. They have been there, not wanting to get in the way, not wanting to ask too many questions, making mistakes. At the end of your program you will be a product of your experience, your learning, and your program.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, yeah i have been admitted to the program and really excited!!! we just made a Facebook group for the incoming class, and it seems we are split; some people have years of HCE under their belt while others not so much!! 

jwh7031, which program is this? I have similar stats to you, but I'm applying this cycle. I'm just trying to figure out what to do and which programs to apply to. If you'd be willing to PM me, that would be great :)

Your stats are fine. You have enough of base on how to speak w patients. The medicine comes with time. I just finished a book called the power of now, which sounds fitting for your predicament.

Essentially, live in the present. Do not worry about the past, and do not worry about the future. You can take experiences from the past to react to situations occurring presently, but do not RELIVE those emotions. Negative emotions keep you in the past, and do not allow you to be fully present. Do not worry about the future, because anything that is going on in your head, is simply speculation, it hasn't happened yet. So, there is no point in worrying about what is to be. The only thing that TRULY matters is NOW.

Don't get wrapped up in your emotions. Enjoy what you are presently doing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Archived