AAPA Elections April 2014

Hello Everyone!

I understand that there is an upcoming AAPA election this April and I wanted to introduce you one of the candidates Vicki Chan-Padgett, PA-C who is running for AAPA President-Elect. She has been a PA for over 30 years and is everything that being a PA represents.

Her experience is vast and diverse from the US Air Force where she was a four time recipient of the Air Force Commendation Medal and the Meritorious Service Medal, to working with the US Department of Justice Bureau of Prisons where she received the Commendable Service Medal in 1997 as well as Military Airlift Command Physician Assistant of the Year, to here in Nevada where she works with the Shade Tree Clinic which provides safe shelter to homeless and abused women and children in crisis and to offer life-changing services promoting stability, dignity and self-reliance. Most recently PA Padgett has started the Touro Nevada Mobile Health Clinic that allows the PA students and staff to provide basic primary care and screening to the homeless population in Nevada.

In 2012 she received the PAragon Award for PA Service to the Underserved. She has a long standing history of community service that reaches from the Karen people in Burma, to villagers in Tanzania, and to battered women and children at the Shade Tree Clinic. In 2011 PA Padgett was given the Healthcare Heroes Humanitarian Award by Nevada Business Magazine and earlier in that year was given the Physician Assistant Foundation Award by Caring for Communities.

Vicki Chan-Padgett, PA-C and her husband Dr. John E. Padgett, PA-C, PhD, Maj, US Special Forces (Ret) [MEDEX class 4], also sponsor the Special Forces Memorial / Veterans Caucus Scholarship for future PA students at South College in TN through the Veterans Caucus. It was made in honor of the memory of the sacrifices made by their parents, Ed and Mabel Chan and Larry and Virginia Padgett during WWII.

Her awards and service to the community and towards advancing the PA profession are vast. I urge you all to take some time and learn about her abilities, her platform, and her accomplishments over such a long distinguished career.

You can ask her questions directly or follow her on her facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vicki-Chan-Padgett-PA-C-for-AAPA-President/503643099744410

Check out her CV / Platform Statement
http://www.aapa.org/about_aapa/leaders/resources/item.aspx?id=7393

Read about her PAragon award:
http://www.aapa.org/news_and_publications/news/item.aspx?id=4271

Or watch a really cool video that was presented when she received her award:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7g7zLyoQE

More importantly, here is the link to all of the candidates running for this upcoming AAPA election:
http://www.aapa.org/about_aapa/leaders/resources/item.aspx?id=3396&terms=aapa%20election

Thank you for your time and consideration in Vicki Chan-Padgett, PA-C for AAPA President-Elect

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wilsonct

As important -

VOTE - for anyone - just VOTE

Each year approximately 6,000 PA-C that are AAPA members vote - out of 50,000 eligible.

That is FIFTY THOUSAND - do the math - that is 12% - and that is in a good year!!!

Then, as in many elections, they are the ones who complain that AAPA doesn't represent them, or make changes to CME, or change our name, or are elitists.

Ask them if they voted -

HAVE YOU VOTED!!??

Have you gotten involved?

You have thirty days (30 days) and it takes all of 5 minutes - less if you don't read the bio's (which you should).

You are reading this - now go VOTE!

Guest Paula

Would 

PAFT

post those who they endorse (those leaders that want to advance the PA profession instead of same old same old)

The endorsement was already posted a week ago.  Scroll down under general forum and you will see it. 

Guest wilsonct

In April 2013 there were about 46,000 total members with about 31,000 fellow members.  The rest are primarily students and we can't vote.

Which is consistent with most states where only 30% are members (~90,000 PA's nationwide and 32,000 members AAPA - but to the point I was trying to make - you need to encourage any member to VOTE - don't care who you vote for - read postions & vote. Bring in new people - nominate new people / get a write-in campaign started - just be present & vote.

Each year approximately 6,000 PA-C that are AAPA members vote

and as recent history has shown, what 6500 PAs think is important can easily be dismissed by the aapa.....sorry, couldn't resist.

and yes, I have already voted and encourage everyone to do so. best of luck to all the candidates.

yes, it is a shame when we have such a low voter turnout. The first time I was elected to the academies Board of Directors only 7% of the fellow membership voted. What is worse is the percentage of practicing PA that join their state organization. Currently in Ohio we have over 3000 practicing PA's and only 550 are fellow members of the state organization, that's a 20% participation rate. The irony and injustice of this is that the 20% benefits the 100% of practicing PAs. This is typical of most state organization, and it is getting worse all around because the younger generation of PAs for some reason that I cannot explain tend not to join. I'm not sure if they don't see the value or don't understand the necessity of having a strong state and national organization. 

The irony and injustice of this is that the 20% benefits the 100% of practicing PAs. This is typical of most state organization, and it is getting worse all around because the younger generation of PAs for some reason that I cannot explain tend not to join. I'm not sure if they don't see the value or don't understand the necessity of having a strong state and national organization. 

I'll bite on this.  I personally believe that the lack of participation among younger generations is multi-faceted.  People- not just the younger generation- are feeling more and more detached from their government as a whole.  That void has been filled up more and more with lobbyists and special interest groups, and the perception is that government is becoming more and more like an oligarchy of wealthy individuals- which isn't helped by the Supreme Court's recent decision to remove the cap on contributions by individuals to politicians/PACs.  Couple this with the focus of our mass media is on federal government- not so much on local and state governments, which don't draw the eyeballs as much as potshots at national political leaders do- and I think you find as the generations get younger, they have a lack of understanding of just how this whole process really works.  Even college-educated people, when put on the spot, will rarely know who their state representative or senator is, or who their city council members are- the very people who have more of an effect on your day-to-day life than the federal government does, and who'd you actually might be able to develop a relationship with so that you'd have an actual voice in government.  

I could be wrong about it all, but I know this is how I used to feel about it, until I participated in lobbying to state and federal legislators.  

Archived