Class of 2017

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I followed up, but I will have to wait until Monday before I get my answer. My best guess is that they just looked closer at my application and decided they didn't like my unusual educational history. I can't think of anything that happened during the interview that warranted an outright rejection.

How was your overall GPA/GRE. Did you have to retake any classes? What kind of patient care experience did you have? I can't really think of any other reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Im sorry to hear the news :( Did you follow up with the school to see what happened and why you got rejected? I know how that goes when you feel that you did well during the interview but you get rejected and not even wait listed!

I just got a response today, and it was a very generic one saying the committee thinks I might be a better fit at another program. I wonder why it took over three weeks and multiple requests for them to not even give specific feedback. I'm not accustomed to getting rejected based on interview performance and I still think I did perfectly fine in that interview. I'm always willing to accept my flaws and eager to receive constructive criticism from people, but on this one no one has been able to point to any mistake that explains my rejection, including the admissions committee. I'm done trying to figure out what, if anything, I did wrong and I'm going to assume this was their error until someone can offer a reasonable argument to the contrary. It kind of angers me a little bit that I invested so much into this interview (I'm broke and coming from far away), gave it my all, and then can only get feedback that is neither timely nor constructive.

On that note, here's a minor spoiler for anyone interviewing here in the future:

There was a part of the interview where we observed group physicals. I had never heard of this happening on interview day and I was mentally unprepared for it. This was the one part of interview day where I feel I genuinely didn't do well. I went into the room and saw there were two guys (and only two guys) practicing on each other and I thought to myself, "How's that going to look if I immediately go to the only two males in the room?" So I walk over to some females. One of them offers me a rolling stool to sit on, which I decline, but she keeps offering so I end up sitting on it (don't do this, whoever is observing you might think you just casually plopped down without even asking). I notice that the females playing the "patients", who were wearing sports bras, did not appear entirely comfortable with my presence there. Yet my instructions were to "observe", so I'm trying to not appear like I'm staring and trying to not appear disinterested either and mostly end up appearing very awkward and weird. Maybe my time as a male CNA had made me hyperconscious of female modesty. In retrospect I wish I had gotten up and went over to the guys (or gone there to begin with), but I just froze with anxiety. I wasn't sure how to excuse myself from the students I had been observing. And in a weird way I felt like I had committed to that stool and shouldn't get up. I can't tell other male applicants exactly how they should handle this part of the day, but just be aware that the situation might come and you should have some sort of game plan in place.

Hey I have definitely been in that situation where I was invited for an interview and didn't get in. Only because I spent so much money on hotels and plane tickets. Once I followed up and wondered why I received a rejection, those schools also took forever as well. They didn't comment anything about my interview skills, they just looked back onto my application and blamed my grades or GRE score. Which was very frustrating because they had that information to begin with, so I wasn't sure why they even offered me an interview. 

But to comment on the group physical part of the interview, looking back I think we just think too much into the interview that we end up making some mistakes. If you would have observed the two male students instead of the females I think it would have been fine. At then end I think they were just trying to observe you and your interaction with the students. Because you chose the females I think that just made you uncomfortable and your reactions could have been interpreted differently by the admissions committee. You were nervous or uncomfortable but they may have taken that as you being uninterested during that part of the interview. 

Maynard, if this is your passion I definitely advise you to keep pursuing. I know this can be frustrating because your stats are pretty solid. Maybe try to gain healthcare exposure in a different setting. Volunteer or work, do whichever your schedule allows you to do. Switch up your recommendations if you feel that this might be an issue. But for Mercer, the one thing I do know is that if you're offered an interview, you have met or exceeded all if their requirements to get into their program. They just want to know if you will be a good fit for their particular program. They really praise their students for engaging in team work because once you're in, there's no more competing allowed. Hope this advice helps!

I just got a response today, and it was a very generic one saying the committee thinks I might be a better fit at another program. I wonder why it took over three weeks and multiple requests for them to not even give specific feedback. I'm not accustomed to getting rejected based on interview performance and I still think I did perfectly fine in that interview. I'm always willing to accept my flaws and eager to receive constructive criticism from people, but on this one no one has been able to point to any mistake that explains my rejection, including the admissions committee. I'm done trying to figure out what, if anything, I did wrong and I'm going to assume this was their error until someone can offer a reasonable argument to the contrary. It kind of angers me a little bit that I invested so much into this interview (I'm broke and coming from far away), gave it my all, and then can only get feedback that is neither timely nor constructive.

On that note, here's a minor spoiler for anyone interviewing here in the future:

There was a part of the interview where we observed group physicals. I had never heard of this happening on interview day and I was mentally unprepared for it. This was the one part of interview day where I feel I genuinely didn't do well. I went into the room and saw there were two guys (and only two guys) practicing on each other and I thought to myself, "How's that going to look if I immediately go to the only two males in the room?" So I walk over to some females. One of them offers me a rolling stool to sit on, which I decline, but she keeps offering so I end up sitting on it (don't do this, whoever is observing you might think you just casually plopped down without even asking). I notice that the females playing the "patients", who were wearing sports bras, did not appear entirely comfortable with my presence there. Yet my instructions were to "observe", so I'm trying to not appear like I'm staring and trying to not appear disinterested either and mostly end up appearing very awkward and weird. Maybe my time as a male CNA had made me hyperconscious of female modesty. In retrospect I wish I had gotten up and went over to the guys (or gone there to begin with), but I just froze with anxiety. I wasn't sure how to excuse myself from the students I had been observing. And in a weird way I felt like I had committed to that stool and shouldn't get up. I can't tell other male applicants exactly how they should handle this part of the day, but just be aware that the situation might come and you should have some sort of game plan in place.

Thank you for your thoughts. Yeah, I hate the idea of going to an interview and getting rejected based on variables they could have gleaned beforehand. However, it's a good reminder of how fallible and fickle the whole admissions process is -- something you definitely shouldn't take personally.

As for the physicals, I have no reason to believe that this played a role in my rejection. I just offered that up to any guys interviewing here in the future so they can be more prepared than I was. I can't think of any point in the interview where I failed to show good teamwork and I'm done trying to figure out what went wrong, because at this point I truly believe that "what went wrong" was not my actions but the perceptions of those assessing them.

I like to think that my rejection will open up a seat to someone else who deserves it just as much or even more. Best of luck to everyone else.

Hey I have definitely been in that situation where I was invited for an interview and didn't get in. Only because I spent so much money on hotels and plane tickets. Once I followed up and wondered why I received a rejection, those schools also took forever as well. They didn't comment anything about my interview skills, they just looked back onto my application and blamed my grades or GRE score. Which was very frustrating because they had that information to begin with, so I wasn't sure why they even offered me an interview. 

But to comment on the group physical part of the interview, looking back I think we just think too much into the interview that we end up making some mistakes. If you would have observed the two male students instead of the females I think it would have been fine. At then end I think they were just trying to observe you and your interaction with the students. Because you chose the females I think that just made you uncomfortable and your reactions could have been interpreted differently by the admissions committee. You were nervous or uncomfortable but they may have taken that as you being uninterested during that part of the interview. 

Maynard, if this is your passion I definitely advise you to keep pursuing. I know this can be frustrating because your stats are pretty solid. Maybe try to gain healthcare exposure in a different setting. Volunteer or work, do whichever your schedule allows you to do. Switch up your recommendations if you feel that this might be an issue. But for Mercer, the one thing I do know is that if you're offered an interview, you have met or exceeded all if their requirements to get into their program. They just want to know if you will be a good fit for their particular program. They really praise their students for engaging in team work because once you're in, there's no more competing allowed. Hope this advice helps!

Hi everyone! 

I have an interview next week on 6/4.. any words of advice or any others that will be there as well?

I have some advice. Aside from what I've already mentioned, when you interview at Mercer, mind your Ps and Qs even when there aren't administrators in the room. In other words, always behave as if you're being watched on a hidden camera… seriously...

I have some advice. Aside from what I've already mentioned, when you interview at Mercer, mind your Ps and Qs even when there aren't administrators in the room. In other words, always behave as if you're being watched on a hidden camera… seriously...

I'm curious, where did you get your information?

@tmluu Good luck on your interview tomorrow!! Hope it goes well!

Is anyone else still waiting to hear?? I'm hoping I'm not the only one (or two of us) who are still waiting anxiously!! It's been 15 weeks since I turned in my application...but who's counting? ;) I have communicated with the admissions office multiple times. I would love if someone had some advice to offer!

I'm curious, where did you get your information?

I PMed you a response. 

To be clearer, all I'm saying is that you should always be mindful of your behavior, even if you think no one of importance is watching. This is true of PA school interviews in general, but I believe it is especially true at this program.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the alternate list as well. I called and spoke with someone regarding the likelihood of being admitted and they told me it really depends.... The list is a pool rather than ranked so the committee reviews all the applicants if there's a seat open..

Archived