Class of 2017

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really interested in Mercer, but I've found their website a bit confusing to navigate. Does anybody know when the applications open and close? I'm hoping I'm not too late to get in my clinical hours before the deadline for January. Is the 1,000 hours required by the time you submit your application, or just by matriculation?

CSCH - yes, the website is very confusing and they have made a lot of changes to it recently.

Mercer's cycle to receive applications closes TODAY! They have been accepting applications since October. Today is also the last day to submit your CASPA application, where you would record your clinical hours. Since March 1st is a Saturday, I was told they don't process apps on non-business days. 

The 1,000 hours of direct patient care must be completed upon matriculation. So if you have 500 hours right now and have an appropriate job in the medical field, they can deduce that you will reach the 1,000 hours needed to meet the pre-requisite for the program.

Hope this helps! 

I found out in January too when I started working on my application! Their entire website was drastically changed and it was all very confusing. So I emailed them to confirm that they weren't going to have a second cycle (since January-March used to be considered "early application" and then May-August it opened up again). Now that they changed their cycle from October-March it means they only have one pool of applicants.

I think a lot of people are confused about it though. Did you not find out in time!? I hope you were able to get everything! 

I have an interview at the end of March for the class that starts in Jan 2015. I submitted my application in Nov. I really hope they have a good turn around with letting people know bc I've been accepted to another program that starts in May :/ but I want to go to Mercer.

Congrats kbullar!! How much notice did they give you concerning your interview invitation? When did you find out?

I think looking back on the thread from last year's and previous classes may give you some insight on quickly people received offers for admittance. I remember some ppl heard back REALLY quickly! 

I guess this also means that for those of us that submitted our applications in January/February have some waiting to do....

How disappointing!! I really thought I'd have enough time, since the other January start school I'm looking at doesn't close their applications until August 1. Oh well, I'm nowhere close to where I'd need to be on hours to have gotten in. Still, this seems drastically early to close applications! Can anyone confirm?

I agree it is extremely early to apply for 2015. I got "lucky" I guess bc I was applying for schools that started this year and saw that Mercer had two cycles open and applied for the one that had the later deadline. They gave me a month notice- pretty standard. I heard they let you know of their decision in 2-4 weeks. 

So I learned a few things at my interview. CASPA has told Mercer that they can't have two cycles open at the same time, so that's why the class starting in Jan 2015 isn't opening back up in the fall. Also this means there are less applicants applying for this class roughly 300ish is what they said and they are going to interview 100-120 in groups of 12 at a time. I was in the second interview for this cycle and there were only 10 in my group. But they said the class should be finalized by July. I loved it and hope to get a seat. They said they might "hold" more people this year, meaning they want to see how you compare to the other applicants they interview and decided further into the process.

Wow that was fast! Congrats that's awesome!

What kind of questions did they ask? I have a feeling Mercer is more the time of school that is interested in getting to know the individuals. And not necessarily as concerned about what their opinion is on the affordable healthcare act? Or maybe not! Either way, I am trying to prepare for all types of questions. Any hints??

Archived