Choosing the right school

I've been accepted at Emory and George Washington University. I already put a deposit down on Emory and the $1000 deposit for GWU (and decision) is due on Friday. I'm having a hard time deciding which school to choose. Both are ranked #4 by US News & World Report and are older, well-established programs. I'm running out of time to make my decision! 

Emory:

- 29 months, starting in August

- slightly cheaper tuition than GWU

- all classes taught separately from med students

- had a wonderful interview experience, very impressed with faculty, students, and support staff

- located in Atlanta (lower cost of living) 

GWU:

- 24 months, starting in May

- have heard rumblings of problems within the program (professor fired after a semester of absenteeism)

- some classes taught in conjunction with med students (but PA students given different exams)

- used MMI, interview experience felt very impersonal 

- located in DC, a city that I know and love, also have several friends in DC

- would graduate/become a PA 8 months sooner (due to program start date and shorter program length 

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am leaning towards Emory, based on my interview experience and information from Emory PA alumni. 

both good schools so hard to go wrong either way. would your friends distract you from school in d.c.?

where would you rather live?

do you want to live in either area when done with school?

Yes, friends would probably be a distraction, and more so, a source of guilt -- when I am too busy with studying to see them. 

I have not spent significant time in Atlanta, so I don't really know that I'd dislike living there. I did enjoy the two years that I lived in DC. Though, the difficult & expensive parking situation in DC might be an additional source of stress. Both cities have pretty terrible traffic. 

When I'm done with school, I probably wouldn't live in either area... I think I'd rather be near family in New England or the Midwest. 

Number one: you can't go wrong.

Number two: Pick the place that you think you fit in the best. The most supportive, the best chance of your being happy and successful.

Number three: If you had to graduate and live in one of the cities, which one would it be?

Don't overthink this one. Sleep on it and pick one.

Archived