Torn!

I have been officially accepted at UTSW (and accepted their offer), but I am waiting to see what UTHSCSA has to say. My dilemma only applies if I get accepted by UTHSCSA and it's complicated! I LOVED UTSW's program, but didn't get the same vibe from SA. However, I live in SA with my husband and two elementary aged children; all of our family is here in SA too. On top of that, I finish my undergrad in May and UTSW starts in May so finding a house/day care/good school district could be difficult. My husband is a teacher and won't be able to move to Dallas until he wraps up the year. UTHSCA starts in June. UTSW is ranked higher then UTHSCSA. I feel so selfish uprooting my family, but I truly feel that I would benefit the most from UTSW's program. I'm just not sure if I should stay in SA to maintain homeostasis at home or relocate temporarily and pursue my dreams. Any advice about either program would be appreciated.  

PS- If I only get accepted by UTSW then we would move to Dallas without hesitation. I'm just trying to plan in the event I get accepted at UTHSCSA too. My husband supports me either way :)

don't let school "rankings" play into your decision at all. both are good programs. which area do you want to live/work in when done with school? if you plan on moving back to SA then that program might get you better connections for later jobs.

good luck whatever you decide.

I'm in the same boat. I've been accepted to Barry in St. Pete but I'm awaiting a response from LIU Brooklyn. I think that LIU Brooklyn is a better school; offers a cadaver lab, 1x/month hospital visits first semester increasing to 1x/week hospital visits 2nd semester, access to many NYC-metro hospitals for rotations, however cost of living is higher and my fiance (soon to be husband in January) lives in Tampa/St Pete with a job there. (At Barry professors split their time between 3 campuses so many classes are taught via webcam, no cadaver lab, etc.) We've discussed the possibility of my moving to NYC alone if I were to get in but it would be difficult financially and emotionally. Since this was my first application cycle, I feel blessed to have received an acceptance the first time around! However I don't want to go to a school simply for geographical reasons; I want the best educational experience I can have. I'm truly torn as well. Guess my bottom line is - Does the school REALLY matter?

To me, the only things that matter about the school you choose are: (1) does it meet your needs (financial, family, etc), (2) do you feel that it will be a supportive environment in which to spend your time for the next 2+ years, and (3) will it be more likely to lead to your making connections with your first employer? 

You are both fortunate that you know that you'll be going somewhere soon. The job now is to pick the place that is going to be the best fit for YOU. Don't sweat rankings.

Archived