Applying for NP positions as a PA ?

Have any of you PAs had any success submitting an application for a position that is listed for NP (no mention of PA in title or description), to where you got the job?  Wondering if this could be fruitful or just a waste of time.

As I conduct a search for my first job, I have seen many that are NP only.  Much fewer are PA only.  Many are also NP/PA either/or....

I  have done this many times and almost always get an interview

only once was I flat out turned down and it had to do with the way billing was set up

yes apply

yes pursue it----  many times it is lack of education that prevents people from realizing the PAs are better then NPs 

(after all we are just assistants and they are providers.... said in sarcastic tone)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so this is just mho. PAs started out as BPAS. NPs, as far as I Know, have always been masters with 2-3 years practice experience in between making them "seem" superior. This, in part, is why I would like to see an expansion of fellowship opportunities. The national association is concerned by"degree creep" and not losing track of the original mission, which is understandable, but I keep seeing laments from PAs who feel unprepared for their first job or have difficulty finding one. Part of this may be the result of insufficient or the wrong type of HCE. The PA profession needs to distinguish itself from NPs who, despite all protestations to the contrary, are competition. Also, more and more NPs are getting doctorates (online, of course). The PA profession needs to keep up our get left behind.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk 2

Oxymoron isn't it? Your experienced PA's (greater than one or probably two decades) are mostly BS, unless there was some other reason to pursue the Master's, yet the employers are for the most part (generalized statement, no offense) limiting their app pool to those without a great deal of experience yet have the MS. I wish to Hade's I could just say "Here's the cash, you're not going to teach me anything in getting a traditional PA MS degree that I haven't already learned from my BS program, and give me the darn degree". Now, the BS->MS route incorporates things that I'm not sure that I ever wanted to learn, much less use. It's always about the $$$, so here's the darn money.

OK, so this is just mho. PAs started out as BPAS. NPs, as far as I Know, have always been masters with 2-3 years practice experience in between making them "seem" superior.

nope, nps started out with certs then went to as then bs then ms now dnp. they have just done degree creep faster than us. I know many nps without an ms. There used to be a 400 hr cert. level womens health np program in los angeles. closed about 6 yrs  ago. link to info on that program at ucla:

http://www.womenshealthnp.org/

it also used to be that a pa who was an rn could take 1 class in adv. nursing theory to become an np. that option went away probably 25 years ago. I used to work with a pa/np who did just this to get rx rights in ca when pas didn't have them. of course as soon as he completed his class pas got rx rights but he still wrote his rxs as an np so he didn't require cosig for charts with rxs.

Thanks for the np history , emdpa. So I guess the real story is that nps are moving faster and more aggressively to assert their profession. The PA profession, I think, could do more to communicate the PA mission to providers, payers and regulators. And that mission needs to include more than just being mid level primary care providers. If the PA profession doesn't define itself, then someone else will.

I like to think of the PA as an adjunct to the physician, providing additional hands, picking up additional workload, and offering complementary knowledge and experience. An experienced PA is a colleague to the sp, working beyond the capacity of generic "mid level provider." The distinction may seem small to anyone who thinks of the profession as subservient or who is satisfied to receive increased pay for filling in doing mundane tasks. As an example, should an emd PA be limited to fast-track or verticals when studies have shown they are capable of full emergency department care (taking the next patient up) without compromising patient safety or quality of care? Personally, I would like the profession to strive to these higher goals and higher level of recognition.

Full disclosure: As stated in earlier posts, I am not a PA and am well beyond the age of becoming one, but have studied the profession and have a daughter entering pa school in 2014. I believe that the profession needs to work diligently to expand its role and that changes occurring during the next several years (health care reform) will offer both opportunities and risks that can't be ignored.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk 2

A lot of the newly graduated FNPs I meet and talk to, when you get them in comfortable surroundings and really have a frank and open discussion, will admit that they don't feel that their programs adequately prepared them to function at a decent level.  My mind often boggles at the sheer lack of clinical hours in many of their programs.  Several (the really honest ones) have lamented - and resented - the inordinate emphasis their programs placed on research and theory, when the vast majority of them were in the programs to go out and practice clinically. 

One nurse I worked with in our Chest Pain Center a few years ago came back to work a shift right after her boards and told me that her exam was HALF nursing theory and research/administration.  Half!

More than a few of the NPs I talk to also lament the degree-creep their national leadership has foisted upon them - especially the Master's NPs that have been practicing for a while.

"Secure from rambling rant.  Set normal underway watch."

Having many friends in the nursing profession I would echo a lot of what's been said here concerning the NP degree and it's evolution. Another aspect that I've been informed of via said RN friends is that the push for the NP to be a doctorate has a lot to do with profit (surprise, surprise) and they feel there should be "tracts" in the NP programs for those desiring a clinical focus and those more geared towards administration or research. I whole heartedly agree that the PA profession needs to do a better job marketing itself. My hope is that this won't have to include a mud throwing style campaign against NP's but rather a less opaque set of guidelines, job descriptions, definitions, etc. for PA's vs NP's. My fear is that we might have to throw a little mud to compete especially in areas where the profession is less established. I'd love to get insight from a more experienced PA here, do you think one of the ways we'll need to distinguish ourselves from NP's in the coming years will be by not only highlighting our strengths but also shedding light on the large disparity between a PA's clinical education and that of an NP's?

I think the way to distinguish ourselves is to become health care professionals who practice autonomously, are responsible for the care we provide, do not require a physician "supervisor" and are able to bill independently from a physician. 

We need to loosen the tether that ties us to a physician and thus ties our hands in advancing the profession.

We need advanced residency programs that will allow us to become the type of provider I am suggesting......a profession that stands on its own.

As I've said before in posts:  PAs have the capability to be providers similar to the independent DPM and OD, who undergo rigorous training in their fields and practice within that scope.  There is no reason why we must remain dependent practitioners.  We have proven our worth and studies have proven we are safe and competent providers.

I am especially adamant about this today as I just found out my clinic is recruiting an NP and won't consider a PA because of "billing issues".

I am having a conversation tomorrow with the director regarding the clinic being an equal opportunity employer and will be suggesting they open up the pool of applicants so we have a well-rounded choice of who gets hired.  Should I broach the subject of bias and prejudice?  After all, this is an Indian tribal clinic and history tells us the prejudice against the Native people has been harmful..........

does anyone get the irony of it all????    

Knots in my stomach but I am going forward with the discussion.....ever so gingerly but succinctly and will lay out the reasons why to consider a PA. 

P.S.  I would love it if a slew of PAs sent the director their resumes and apply for the NP job.   

www.ihs.gov  and follow the links. 

Careers

Health Professions

Openings

NP

Michigan

I talked to the Health Director today and they will consider a PA...but....because we are not eligible for Meaningful Use incentives they will lean toward an NP so they can get the incentives. 

Wouldn't it be cool if 100s of PAs apply and no NPs?  I can dream on. 

Wait, meaningful use is not dependent on NP vs PA. It is instead a list of criteria that needs to be met in a practice where certain issues are addressed. That makes no sense to me that an NP would be better suited to attest to meaningful use over a PA. As long as you get the pertinent information and document correctly, PAs and NPs can both contribute. EMEDPA, tell me if I'm wrong? (Cause you know everything!!!)

Archived