The wait is killing me!! Does anyone else feel the same?

By the way, what do you guys think about the program only awarding a bachelors? Have you guys thought about getting a masters afterwards, I heard that a masters will be required for all physician assistants in 2020? Not really sure.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposedly SD will be offering a bridge program to alumini to gain their masters before 2020 :-) which is very reassuring. At the end of the day whether we graduate with a master or a bachelors....we all sit for the same PANCE. Personally I already have a BA and am applying to another school for a masters but Sophie Davis is 100% still my first choice school....everything from their mission to my great experience with CUNY (and SUNY) schools makes the program my ultimate choice.

And YES the wait is unbearable. I am literally having DREAMS about being interviewed, and starting school.....it's a mixture of anxiety and anticipation. After reading last year's posts I feel like this is a REALLY long wait. I know some people were already being interviewed by the first week in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES!!! the wait is unbearable and having dreams about being interviewed, what I will be wearing I thought I was the only one... LoL

Ok  its just to stay calm and keep a sharp mind and keep busy to keep my mind of the wait also having spend time with my family helps a great deal with off setting the pressure.

Hope you guys are keeping faith in our hope of being called.  I know I am.

What are you doing to be prepared?

Good moring PAs

Please allow me to give my opinion on a small matter affecting us all.

I know the wait is hard, especially for those who are not working or not in school. Fortunately, some of us are, so it takes our minds off of SD. This is not to say we should have an attitude of indefference. We can eagerly, (but not anxiously), anticipate a call. Please, find something to do that will benefit you, yet take your mind off the wait.

Now, some of you might take offence to this post, but here is my reason for it.....

Some ppl have been calling SD. The site specifically says there will be no updates after March 15th. Also, it is generally accepted that every contact you have with a PA program is noted in your file. I am not saying this is happening at SD, but it does happen at some programs. Who knows. If when you call you give your name, or you are asked for your name, you might be doing yourself a huge disservice. My HUMBLE advice is to stop calling SD. Besides, what can you possibly achieve by calling? Will that cause the faculty and staff to speed up the process? Will that cause them to put your file on top? Think about it: there is abolutely no good thing to achieve by calling SD. It only serves to ease our anxiety.

I can only think of two reason we are not hearing from them:

1. They are calling but the ppl being called are not on this forum. This is possible but highly unlikely. At least one of us would have been called.

2. They are inundated with applications. This is most likely the case. Applications increase every year, and it is plausable that there has been a large increase to SD. This is a cheap program, and the pre-reqs are the most basic of all the schools.

This is not a post to belittle those who called. Honestly, we appreciate that you did and that you informed us. But we don't want you to harm yourself. This is not a post against you, it's a post against calling SD.

I was fortunate to meet a number of present (and past) SD students, and they have told me that after I have received word that my application is complete, not to call back the school. I am hoping to get accepted just like everyone else. I don't have any advantage over any one of you. But I would still prefer to see everyone get a fair chance. This post might be a bunch of garbage, or maybe, just maybe, it might save your butt.

Have a great day folks. This is the forth week since the deadline- it's about time they start calling, I know. lol

Hey guys what about the interview process what are you doing to prepare for that I know last year they had group interview not sure if they will be doing so this year but its just to give some thought on what to look out for.  I have been studying and researching topics on this what about you?

MiJo. I agree....personally to air in the side of caution calling the school may be unwise. They asked for no calls...well, it's safer to follow those instructions :-)

Haddasah, I've been reading lots of "experience/life" websites and books to feel more prepared and a little more immersed in the PA world so to speak. I highly recommend "the ultimate guide to the physician assistant career"....it talks about history of the profession and has countless "a day in the life of..." excerpts. Another book I picked up is "the ultimate guide to the PA interview". Although I treat that one more as a guideline than a "manual" to what may happen at the interview. Our interviewers most likely know students read that book and you don't want to get caught up giving generic answers....after all they want to get to know you. Still, I feel the book is a nice way to get some ideas about what the interview may be like.

This forum is also a great source of information. I thoroughly LOVE reading posts about current issues and topics the PAs and PA students are discussing.

There's a great website (I cannot remember the proper URL at the moment) but I believe it's called "the PA life" which is run by a PA of course and he treats it like a blog! He does podcasts and addresses issues. It's amazing, I believe he hasn't updated it in a while but it's still a massive source of information of everything from PA school, to clinicals to the career itself. I will try to post the exact URL later today.

Basically my way of killing time at this point and to stay prepared is getting knee deep in whatever experience based information I can find.

Haha haddasah....the interview dreams are a blessing and a curse!

I just finished browsing and reading all the posts here. wow, that is a lot of information.  Thank you everybody for keeping each other's sprite up!

I submitted my application late (in March :( )  I haven't received any emails about they have received my application or it is in evaluation.  Is this normal?  Or everybody is just waiting for the interview letter? 

You guys should come to the PA club and ask current students if you have questions. The club meets on every Thursday in Harris hall room number 206 or 209 from 12.30 to 1.30PM.

I wish you guys good luck.

Bx_star have you gone to the club hours I want to go now is it too late? I have an email address I think I will contact them and see what they say. I would like to meet some of the students.

MiJo. I agree....personally to air in the side of caution calling the school may be unwise. They asked for no calls...well, it's safer to follow those instructions :-)Haddasah, I've been reading lots of "experience/life" websites and books to feel more prepared and a little more immersed in the PA world so to speak. I highly recommend "the ultimate guide to the physician assistant career"....it talks about history of the profession and has countless "a day in the life of..." excerpts. Another book I picked up is "the ultimate guide to the PA interview". Although I treat that one more as a guideline than a "manual" to what may happen at the interview. Our interviewers most likely know students read that book and you don't want to get caught up giving generic answers....after all they want to get to know you. Still, I feel the book is a nice way to get some ideas about what the interview may be like. This forum is also a great source of information. I thoroughly LOVE reading posts about current issues and topics the PAs and PA students are discussing. There's a great website (I cannot remember the proper URL at the moment) but I believe it's called "the PA life" which is run by a PA of course and he treats it like a blog! He does podcasts and addresses issues. It's amazing, I believe he hasn't updated it in a while but it's still a massive source of information of everything from PA school, to clinicals to the career itself. I will try to post the exact URL later today. Basically my way of killing time at this point and to stay prepared is getting knee deep in whatever experience based information I can find. Haha haddasah....the interview dreams are a blessing and a curse! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mijo this is great advice thank you for taking the time to write it. It actually kind of eased my anxiety a little. I did call the office before I read this however but I didn't give my name I was just asking general questions about when they respond to applicants she asked me if I applied but she didn't ask my name and she told me at the end of April.

Hello,

I hope all is well. I truly appreciate this forum.

I try to distract myself with work everyday. I work in an urgent care so I often get exposed to something new each day and I spend my free time researching these things.

Has anyone interviewed elsewhere?

-Best of luck.

I had some general thoughts and I would like anyone to comment.  I was just thinking about the process of admittance in terms of timeline. If we get an invitation to interview at the end of April early May, then the applicant is looking at a Mid to late May interview date.  If the applicant does well and is accepted then they would have to send an acceptance email and the applicant would have to accept by a certain date I presume would be somewhere in Late May early June.  Doesn't orientaion ususally occur in July?  Not a lot of time to prepare, or is orientation the time to prepare?  I am just thinking about how to secure payment for the program if I was accepted.  Does anyone have any advice on Financial Aid for PA programs and scholarships?

Saldanamoreno....I've been pondering this too. All acceptance/rejection letters are suppose to be sent out by late may.....it seems in past years interviews started by first week of April. This worries me because either the school is inundated with applicants and starting late or by same crazy chance people that have not found this forum are being interviewed and ...well, we are not! I believe the deposit to secure a seat in the program is $800. I found a page on the website that broke down the fees....looks like the overall cost including books may be around 20,000 or so. I'm planning on taking out a loan from Wells Fargo...they have options for PA, med and nursing students. They offer variable and fixed rates as well as 6 month deferral for PA students. That's what I'll be going with. Fafsa and Pell grants may be a great option for some. Those of us who already have BAs or are married will not see much from those sources. My fiancé did the Sally Mae loan for his education years ago....most students go that route. I am opting for the bank loan since I'll have better access to the money to cover equipment and books

Bx_star have you gone to the club hours I want to go now is it too late? I have an email address I think I will contact them and see what they say. I would like to meet some of the students.

I'm currently a student and I can ensure you that only current students can give you the information that will help you the most. Many applicants came so far and meet us. We tried to help them as much as we could. PA school is a whole different environment than a regular school. This is why I gave you guys this suggestion. We are in Spring break now, so club won't be open. Try after the break.

My GUESStimate is that we will hear something after Spring break - but Im just guessing. As bx_star said, only ppl from the program really has the facts.

Anyways, right now Im just enjoy a few days off work and school. I almost forgot how nice it feels to eat and sleep all day. No assignments, no exams, no commuting, no studying (for now), no going to school after work, no calls from my boss... God, I have all right to be exhausted. But on the other hand, having all this free time makes me think about SD, lol. It's like you meet this hot chick, and you give her your number but didn't collect her's. Now you are sitting at the phone waiting, but she aint calling, and aint texting. And you know everyday that passes means your chances of success grows dimmer. Isnt that right ladies, lol

Anyways, back to bed. Wake me up if you hear anything, lol

Archived