• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it is, if I get accepted it's going to be a lot of hard work to try to make it through the program.  If I don't get accepted then it is going to be a lot of tough work to try to make myself a better applicant for the next cycle.  Either way it is going to be a challenge.  I'm ready to face both challenges head on!!

Hi guys as we wait in anticipation for our status at SDSBE,  let's not neglect the opportunity to encourage each other on the journey we may take, if it be at Sophie Davis or not.... just remember to continue to grow in your dream and not to allow it to be a dream deferred.  Be encouraged the best is yet to come and I am looking forward to ..... speaking positive now " to my studies at SDSBE..".  How about you?

Hi everyone,

I am a current PA student at Sophie Davis and i'm here if you have any questions and also to address this whole recruitment process. I made this account with the purpose to talk the truth while concealing my identity. One thing that was very apparent for me about this program when i got in is that they are not like most schools out there in regards to their student selection. Most schools will first look at a applicants GPA, then experience and so on. However, SD does not really look at that their first qualification is a students background. As the school's mission statement implies they pride themselves in graduating minority's and trust me when i say that they really stay true to their mission. My class and almost every class i have seen accepted to this program are all mostly African American and Spanish and the tiny rest are Asian, Indian and other minority's. If you are a minority your already half way in you just have to act the part and let them know in the interview how hard it has been for you as a minority. GPA really is not a FACTOR! i say this because there are many students here that were accepted with low GPA's. If you have a low GPA but are a minority you still have great chance all you need to do is get some experience and show interest and knowledge of the profession but most of all really be humble and explain your hard times leading up to this point as a minority on the interview. If you are not a minority then you are in trouble because it will be really hard to get in even if you have a 4.0 GPA with tons of experience but not impossible. Another thing i wanted to point out is make sure this is what you want to do because once it starts it will consume your whole life. If you have a relationship or have kids or other responsibilities then school will be 3 times harder. Also make sure that you are able to sit and stay focused while reading a huge textbook for 6 hours to 8 hours daily! because if you cant do this you will not be able to make it past the first semester because Dr.Garvey is fast and loaded with huge amounts of information. Some of you may think that your use to that but trust me when i say you have never took a test like Garveys test. You can study for hours and hours and still get a failing grade just because the way she words her questions, she is extremely hard and can make you think twice about staying in the program. Almost always a few people don't make it past the first semester and have to repeat it even though they spend every hour they can studying. I think the reason for this is because Physiology is not a requirement to get in the program so students who don't have that foundation in physiology have a real hard time. So make sure your ready to put your life aside and spend every single hour in studying, as soon as you wake up, in the train, in the bathroom and sometimes on a sleepless night and still after all that it wasn't enough to pass. This is PA school, so make sure this is what you want to do. Ask me any questions and ill answer them.

Hi! I am currently taking A&P I to prepare for the program (if I am accepted) even though I know it is not a requirement. I am planning on taking A&P II as well during this upcoming summer session which ends at the end of June. I understand Physiology typically gives students the most trouble during the first semester? My community college does not offer solely Physiology; only Anatomy & Physiology as a joint course. I was debating whether to take Microbiology as well. I think that is one of the courses during first semester? Would you be able to provide a break down of the curriculum of the program?Thanks!

I know the days are counted but we have to remain connected and help each other through this process.  We all are striving to achieve the same goal and that's to be counted for this year program. So on that note, how are you all doing?

I am trying not to think too much about it right now. I'm actually trying to avoid this forum so I don't get anxious when people do start getting responses and talking about it.  I did what  I need to do and right now it's out of my hands until I hear a response.

Hey all.. I finally decided to join the forum after reading it just about every day! Good luck to all applying.. I really hope we all get in. It's nice to see other peers who want this just as bad as I do. The waiting is excruciating! At this point SD isn't even answering the phones lol

MJ_winners_2013.jpg

Hi folks,

Welcome to those who recently joined. It is like the military: "Hurry up and wait" Hurry to get our aps in, only to sit and wait, lol

This is a picture of SD students (and others) at NYSSPA 2013 conference where they won the medical jeopardy competition, for the second year in a row. SD has won this competition more times than any other school in NY, including the very talented Stony Brook.

For those who get in, SD is really top notch and I heard employers are eager to hire SD students.

Is anyone checking his/her phone and email, like, every 8 seconds? lol

I am so excited and hopeful for a call.

May we all get in!

Question: Does anyone knows what would it take to increase the number of seats in the Program?

I wonder how the profession is going to grow if the programs take the same amount of students. The ACA is a huge proponent of the use of PA for the team-based patient-oriented care, but I don't  see how we are going to increase the number of PAs if schools do not increase the amount of graduates.

Any ideas?

Again MiJo, THANKS!

For keeping us our toes with excitement and anticipation with the media presentation of SD. It's more than just a hope of getting in.  Having that passion for the dream desired in being a PA is within reach but a phone call away.

Keeping hope alive!

@ China,  That's a great question you asked but its one of which could be asked when on an interview with SD

I just called the office and a lady told me they won't start sending out responses until the end of April and beginning of May. Is that what other people heard? The wait is phenomenally horrible how are other people dealing with the emotional roller coaster? I've been playing a lot of video games when I have down time to keep me from stressing out.

Wow! End of April - beginning of May? Well....if that's when responses will be sent out I'm going to make the assumption that interviews will be done before that....

The nerves are unbearable. I'm literally keeping my mind occupied with work and planning my wedding.

Haha I don't know what's stressing me out more right now, the wait to hear back from Sophie Davis or trying to get every last bit of wedding planning done by next month!

At least we are in the month of April....just a few weeks! Keep your minds sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived