Arrest record. Please help

I am soon to be 22. At 18, me and some friends were arrested in a local town because we were walking around inside of an abandoned hospital. Absolutely no vandalism went on or destruction of property. We were only in there exploring and had no intent to harm anything and did not. I understand that being there was a stupid, juvenile idea but I have definitely grown from this and just the process of worrying has taught me to never break the law again. The charges were "trespass", we completed community service (through a diversion program I believe) and i have NO RECORD of a conviction. I have checked on this. For the record, we are all upstanding individuals, in college/pursuing professional degrees. One is even going into law enforcement. Also, I have tried to gather as much info about this as possible but I am having a hard time from the arresting agency.

However, the schools I'm considering conduct fingerprint checks which show arrest records. I already have acceptances to two schools and this issue is seriously worrying me. The CASPA specifically asks about convictions, to which i said "No." However, will not disclosing this arrest at interviews (which I'm not even sure will show up) affect me? Will schools rescind my admission for this trespass charge? My dream is to be a PA and I've been working towards this for years. The thought that this minor infraction will stop me from being a PA is causing me to lose sleep. If anyone has experience with this or can offer me any advice at all I would greatly appreciate it. 

If you have no record, were you really arrested?  Or just taken down to the station in a cop car and given community service?

Here is the bottom line: if nothing comes up on your background record, you are good to go, and IMHO, you do not need to disclose this information to anyone.  If something comes up on your background record, the school will find out, and typically they run a background check right before you begin, and right before you start rotations.  

So maybe you can find a way to get a background check on yourself.  If it comes up with an arrest, you will need to disclose this, otherwise the school will learn on their own and your back is to the wall.  If it comes back clean, just keep this information to yourself and move on with your life.

Yes we were really arrested; fingerprinted, etc. The only fortunate thing was that we entered into pre-trial diversion which basically means it is pre-arraignment. As long as community service was completed (which it was), no conviction record and no formal arraignment, plea bargain, etc. However, an arrest record is somewhere. 

My CORI is clear; no convictions. Some careful digging, though, could uncover our appearance at court for the diversion. I simply called the courthouse, gave my name and DOB and she told me within seconds. I just don't feel the need to disclose this at the moment since it is only an arrest without a conviction. CASPA specifically asks for convictions...

They will run a routine background check.  This is the same one employer's use.  It gets ran right before you start and right before you leave for rotations.  I'm no lawyer but I believe if you have a clean CORI, your background check will also come back clean.

As long as that comes back clean, you are good, and I would personally would not disclose.  Again I'm no expert so maybe worth seeking real legal advice on this.  But if the background check is clean, you are clean, as far as PA school is concerned - at least from my experience (2nd year PA-S).

I work part-time in Law Enforcement for a police department and run criminal background checks on a daily basis. Any arrest will show upon a background check and it will show the final disposition of the charges (dismissed, convicted, continued without finding, etc). You can be found not-guilty of a charge but the arrest and charge will still show up. If you were fingerprinted then your prints are like in the FBI's Triple-I system (Triple Eye as we call it). Be honest about this sort of thing, present it just as you did here, indicate that you learned from your youthful mistakes.

Winterallsummer, one of the PA schools I was accepted to does FBI fingerprint checks. It is my top choice and where I submitted my deposit. More and more schools are moving towards this. The other school I was accepted at, not my top choice, does not do fingerprint screening. It really depends on the clinical rotation sites and what they require of their employees. As a student doing rotations, you are considered an "employee" at that site and undergo all screenings paid employees do.

Bstone, if you are in law enforcement you can see what the public does not have access to. Therefore, I am still not entirely sure if this will show up...unless of course they do an FBI fingerprint check.

They are not going to run your fingerprints for PA school..

My school did, halfway through our didactic year. So an arrest record wouldn't have kept me out of school, but it would have made me unable to fulfill didactic and clinical year requirements at federal sites.

That said... Don't disclose unless you think it will come up. You don't have an obligation to report every poor decision you've made in your life, and doing so is asking for additional scrutiny from adcoms. Don't over share. Share enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

greenmood, an arrest record would have kept you out of clinical sites? Why? An arrest does not mean a conviction...it doesn't even mean you did anything wrong.

You're right. And since this wasn't an issue for me I didn't learn specifics about what they were looking for, so it's possible they didn't care about arrests. I don't know why they would have asked about them in that case, though. They specifically asked about arrests. I don't know. I do remember being shocked by how thorough they were and that the FBI actually contacted the people I listed as references.

Just remember, each clinical site has its own rules and many of them are different. As long as they aren't breaking any discrimination laws they don't have to take you on, just like they aren't mandated to hire someone just because that person shows up to interview. You learn at their pleasure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I wouldn't worry about it unless asked.  Arrests do not imply guilt, only convictions.  You can be arrested for anything at anytime.  You can easily order a CORI for yourself and see exactly what the school sees.  I have an arrest with a Continuation Without a Finding and had no problem getting into school.

During the the interview i was asked what my biggest mistake was, and I didn't mention the arrest because it was not the biggest mistake I have made in my life, but in retrospect maybe I should have brought it up so there were no surprises when they got my CORI, although in double retrospect I was already accepted at that point so it might have been easier for them to overlook it.

An arrest that led to diversion is not a conviction and that is really what schools (and employers) are interested in. And lots of people have their fingerprints on file at the FBI, including veterans like me. Getting arrested by itself should not be a showstopper.

If you have any questions, I suggest that call the prosecutor's office in the jurisdiction in which your non-case was handled.

They are not going to run your fingerprints for PA school.

bstone how can he tell if it will show on a background check or not?  If it will NOT show, I really recommend he keeps this to himself.

They may not fingerprint him but if they run a Triple-I (a standard part of a background check) it will come up that he has been fingerprinted in connection with a criminal case.

If you were apart of a YTA (youth training act) where the charges were dropped once you finished the terms of your probation, then you're fine. You were not convicted if you successfully completed the terms and therefore you can honestly answer you were not convicted of any crime. This act was created for this very reason and that's to teach you what can happen if you break the law when your young, but doesn't stay with you forever. Inbox me if you want to hear my personal story. But in all honestly you are fine.

Also not sure if anyone knows anything this detailed but I read that the fingerprint check only shows felonies and serious misdemeanors (punishable by >1 year in jail). Trespass is a minor misdemeanor max sentence is 30 days. 

Incorrect. A Triple-I report from the FBI shows every instance in which a person was fingeprinted in connection with a criminal case, even if they were found not-guilty.

I think the overall, if you are asked about why your fingerprints are in the system, you can just tell them the truth. You were young and dumb. You have matured now and are ready to make a meaningful contribution to society. If ex-felons can still become judges (Judge Joe Mathis for example) then you can become a PA. You may have to explain yourself and demonstrate personal growth, but all in all I think you will be ok. At this point it's really out of your hands. So relax and celebrate your acceptance. One hurtle at a time.

They are not going to run your fingerprints for PA school.

bstone how can he tell if it will show on a background check or not?  If it will NOT show, I really recommend he keeps this to himself.

They likely WILL run them, and furthermore will run them again when applying for a license to practice through the state med board. The incident should not be a problem for a license, as long as you answered honestly the license application questions. In NC, they ask "have you ever been arrested or convicted". Answer falsely, however, and they tend to issue letters of reprimand and make you appear before the board....

I don't know if BradtPA is trying to scare you or warn you. But this is what you can do: write a formal letter to the Prosecutors office, specifically requesting clarification about your case (write your case number in the letter). I would explain that you have turned over a new leaf, thanks to the generosity of the prosecutors office for granting you the deal. Explain how you have been accepted to PA school and how passionate you are about serving your community. Then state your concerns. Tell them you do not recall the specific details of your case and if someone could provide you with a copy and/or determine if this "lesson" will affect your background check/licensing application. Rules may differ between states, so know that what works for one state may not work for another. Also,just because you were fingerprinted, doesn't automatically mean you were arrested or convicted. I think you will be fine, but make note that I wasn't there nor do I know the specifics of your case. A letter won't hurt. Write it. Send it. Then it's out of your hands. Don't stress yourself out over something that's out of your control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Administrator

As a rule of thumb, if you paid anything, showed up anywhere you didn't want to, or did any community service, you were "convicted" of something, and then the question is rather whether that was an infraction or a misdemeanor.  But get a lawyer if you want a precise answer.

rev ronin, that's not true. A pre-trial diversion is not a conviction. Basically you're saying that anybody that shows up to any court for any reason has a conviction. I think the bottom line here is that I was not convicted, an arrest may show up and if it does I will have to mention it at that time. Thanks everyone

There is a difference between answering questions honestly, & volunteering information that is not asked.  If the question is "have you ever been convicted or found guilty of something?", then your answer would be no.  If the question is "have you ever been arrested?", then your answer would be yes.  Be prepared to give honest answers if asked, but don't go out of your way to shoot yourself in the foot.

I think you're being more worried about this than you need to.  If you've already been accepted to a couple schools, I seriously doubt any of them would take it back because you were exploring an abandoned property.

Archived