Finding Jobs as a New Grad

• Administrator

Rev, aren't they requesting 1-5 years of expereince AS A PA, and not 1-5 years of HCE in general?  I have 3 years of HCE as a CNA but I doubt that will satisfy jobs requesting 1+ yr of experience, correct?

They might be, but "years of experience" are often negotiable.  All the other PAs hired in my facility since me (2) have had multiple years of experience, but I was hired as a new grad... why?  Because my CV included a ton of relevant experience.  They could see, even with the abbreviated version of my prior-to-healthcare experience, that I had been a manager in a fortune 100 technology firm at which I had worked for more than a dozen years, which says 1) I know how to function in a corporate world, 2) I know computers, 3) I know how to take and give orders, and 4) I tend to stick around.  These are the same points I reinforced in my interview and in my follow-up letter.

The bigger problem with early 20's PAs isn't that they can't do the job, it's that they can't get hired to do the job.  I have a CV that includes published articles and papers, national presentations, a patent or two, some pretty awesome references, and a host of war stories that I can use for responses to behavioral interviewing questions.  Having been a hiring manager, I know what it takes to get hired, and it's not just practice at interviewing skills, but it also involves what is emphasized in a resume/CV.  The sad fact is, that those who are rushing through with as little prior HCE as possible may find themselves unemployable at first, which is a tragedy all the way around.  Better to either go to med school, or get the HCE in the first place.

They might be, but "years of experience" are often negotiable.  All the other PAs hired in my facility since me (2) have had multiple years of experience, but I was hired as a new grad... why?  Because my CV included a ton of relevant experience.  They could see, even with the abbreviated version of my prior-to-healthcare experience, that I had been a manager in a fortune 100 technology firm at which I had worked for more than a dozen years, which says 1) I know how to function in a corporate world, 2) I know computers, 3) I know how to take and give orders, and 4) I tend to stick around.  These are the same points I reinforced in my interview and in my follow-up letter.

The bigger problem with early 20's PAs isn't that they can't do the job, it's that they can't get hired to do the job.  I have a CV that includes published articles and papers, national presentations, a patent or two, some pretty awesome references, and a host of war stories that I can use for responses to behavioral interviewing questions.  Having been a hiring manager, I know what it takes to get hired, and it's not just practice at interviewing skills, but it also involves what is emphasized in a resume/CV.  The sad fact is, that those who are rushing through with as little prior HCE as possible may find themselves unemployable at first, which is a tragedy all the way around.  Better to either go to med school, or get the HCE in the first place.

Hi Rev, thanks for your advices. I believe I understand your points in not having experience as a "PA" is fine as long as the applicant can make up in other areas. I read many hiring ads that have requirements stating must have X amount of years in "this field" and "prior X experience is preferred". When applying for PA jobs in the future, I would hope that I do not get eliminated just because I am a new graduate. During my PA interviews, I was one of the very few "non traditional" applicants in their early 20s and when we all graduate looking for jobs, this may be to my advantage.

I also think it's about how you approach the job search and your ability to make connections, even if you didn't have many prior to school. I've said this before but I repeat: you need to network during your clinical year. It will make this process so much less stressful.

How you market yourself is also important. That's unique to each person and their history/background, and sometimes it's hard to recognize that you aren't doing it well. Of course most positions ask for some experience, but you can get away with no experience as a PA if you know how to attach value to your other HCE.

FYI, previous healthcare experience doesn't just pay off in the PA school application process. When my offer was made, I received standard new hire salary for my position plus additional salary for my years of work prior to school. It ended up adding $7K/year to my base pay. Obviously I didn't spend ten years working with patients in order to get that salary bump, but it was nice to have my experience recognized and rewarded.

Rev, thanks for the reply.  So when you create your CV, is it worth including non-medical jobs on it?  For example I worked in a couple office positions not relevant to medicine and was told to leave these off my CV.  Do you think they are worth including?  Each experience was about a year.  I do agree that working on a computer every day, while not medically relevant, is helpful in a health care world dominated by EHR/EMRs.

FYI, previous healthcare experience doesn't just pay off in the PA school application process. When my offer was made, I received standard new hire salary for my position plus additional salary for my years of work prior to school. It ended up adding $7K/year to my base pay. Obviously I didn't spend ten years working with patients in order to get that salary bump, but it was nice to have my experience recognized and rewarded.

That's refreshing to hear.  When I start looking for jobs next year (wow, I can say that), it is nice that there may be some employers out there that will look at the whole picture. 

Like Rev says, the "older" crowd have more than just health care experience, they bring the ability to navigate "life/work" problems.

I am just starting using this blog and i think that my question belongs here, if not can someone direct me, thanks. I am wondering if there has been any difference in hiring when a prospective employee has a master in PA vs a bachelors in PA. I have spoke with a few PAs that I work with, and it seems that hiring is based off more just experience and completing the PANCE. 

what is the input from newly working PAs with either a bachelors or a masters, and when you reply can you tell me what state you are working in. 

Thanks

• Administrator

So when you create your CV, is it worth including non-medical jobs on it?  For example I worked in a couple office positions not relevant to medicine and was told to leave these off my CV.

I would include them, but tersely.  You don't need to go into great detail about 'em--a line will suffice.  A yearlong position isn't necessarily a great thing, though, and if there isn't a good reason why you left one for the next (e.g., better pay, more responsibility) I might consider not including it.  At the very least, you want to communicate applied computer literacy and ability to work in a team context before--that will separate you from those without any pre-PA experience.  Also, including previous jobs helps establish your age.  HR can't ask about it, but hiring managers can run the numbers back and say "this person is probably too young for this job" to themselves.  Subtle and impermissible discrimination, perhaps, but plan on it happening and tailor your CV accordingly.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I am a new grad with a few years of non-healthcare experience listed on my CV. This is a career change for me. However, I have not been able to get as many interviews due to my lack of experience as a PA. I am wondering the same thing as toyotabike. I am located in SoCal so I know everyone wants to live and work here. That is probably part of the problem...

Probably. There may also be something wrong with your CV, cover letter, or how you present yourself on the phone when speaking to the HR representative. If they're drawing a hard line at experience it's insane to keep applying without it. Try applying for something out of the box. If you don't want to move you're going to have to compromise on specialty or compensation, maybe both depending on how saturated the area is.

• 3 years later...
Hello, 

My name is Rob. I am a medical recruiter. It is my job to find work for providers in need. Are you still looking for work? If so have you considered expenses paid travel as a Locum Tenen? If traveling the country while working and gaining experience sounds like something that may interest you call me at (561)348-5517 or email me at RGoode@BartonAssociates.com Let's get you hired.

I was a relatively young PA when I graduated.  I went straight through undergrad and then PA school and graduated with a master's degree and certification at barely 24 years old.  I did not have any pre-PA experience other than tons of volunteer hours and shadowing.  I had no problems finding a job at the time of graduation.  The key is to establish great relationships with your preceptors and then use those networks to get a job.  When I graduated, I had three offers from just my preceptors from my last clinical year. You don't need tons of experience as long as you are flexible with what you want to do. All of my offers were family medicine or EM.  I think this is a great idea for a new grad because you don't know anything when you graduate. Get some basic experience and then use it to move on to a specialty if you desire.  I spent 3 years in family and then moved on to GI.  Just my two cents...

I feel like I am in the same boat. I have very little medical experience before PA school at the age of 25 and will be living in a saturated (or semi-saturated) pensacola area after graduation. Really hoping I can find that first job before graduation in order to build experience...best of luck to you!

I feel like I am in the same boat. I have very little medical experience before PA school at the age of 25 and will be living in a saturated (or semi-saturated) pensacola area after graduation. Really hoping I can find that first job before graduation in order to build experience...best of luck to you!

Consider a residency. You'll have multiple job offers after completing one. 

Just giving my experience as a newly graduated PA-C.  I had absolutely no problem getting interviews (and job offers).  But, I also did not limit myself to one geographic area.  Yes, I was a high school teacher, college athlete, college/HS coach, weightlifting coach, etc., but I included other non-healthcare related jobs on my resume, but I made sure to include them in a way that showed how they were pertinent to my personal growth and development (and more importantly to my future job as a PA).

And, most jobs will put that they want experience - BECAUSE EVERYONE DOES.  Almost no one wants to have to train a newbie.  It is (usually) easier to hire someone who can jump right in.  But, that doesn't mean you can't apply.  The job I am working now stated they wanted no less than 2 years of orthopedic PA experience.  I had zero.  I did work as a CNA on an ortho recovery floor in a hospital and shadowed a few ortho PAs and Docs, but never worked in an ortho office.

So don't skip applying to a job just because they say they require experience.  That is often more of a suggestion, and they are much more worried about how long you will stay (after you get trained), your willingness to be taught, and your professionalism.

I have been searching the job market for PA positions in varies states and many jobs require 1-5 years of experience. Is this a problem for new graduates?

It's becoming one and only going to get worse.  Medical schools have only increased enrollment 27% in the last 18 years.  PA schools have increased enrollment more than 200% and NP schools have increased enrollment almost 300% in that time frame.  And there is no sign of a slow down.  Continuing to see more programs open and increasing class sizes.  Do you see a problem?

Archived