Is CRNA too good to be true?

I just started researching CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist), and it seems fantastic! Is there something I'm missing?

More autonomy and more salary than a PA... Granted, CRNAs have a less diverse scope of practice, but they own what they do procedurally, can contract independently, and do something meaningful and significant within healthcare, and get paid for it- big time.

Any thoughts/ input appreciated..

-Thanks-

If you like passing gas in the OR, it can be great. Yeah, they do procedural sedation and a bunch of other stuff as well, but they know a whole lot about a slice of medicine. If you happen to like the flavor of that slice, you may have found your dream job. Personally..having worked in an OR, I'd rather do something else than watch people sleep all day, interrupted only for times of severe stress when your patient is actively trying to die on the OR table. Or as the saying goes "hours of boredom interrupted for moments of sheer terror".

So much more fun to talk to patients.

Plus, PAs own what they do procedurally. Close a hand lac and not notice that ruptured tendon and see what comes your way if you doubt that. Intubate a patient and fail to notice an esophageal tube...PA will own that mistake as well. As for contract work, I was offered a job to do on call urgent care before I graduated. After graduation, before my board exam, I was offered another urgent care job with available hours from full time to on call...PAs work "locums", or on call positions, all the time aka: contract work. And CRNAs do have supervision. Everyone has supervision at some level.

Good luck

PLus CRNA is a much longer road...must go to nursing school first to get your RN then you need at least a year of ICU experience as a nurse before you even apply. CRNA school is extremely competitive and to be considered you should have 2+ years of ICU experience as well as CCRN certification.

CRNAs make a lot of money and I think the OR is a pleasant atmosphere to work in compared to the craziness of the emergency room or perhaps a very busy clinic. One thing you might be missing is that you do have to be a registered nurse first and I think you have to have a year or two experience working as a nurse in intensive care. If you are not a nurse yet you are looking at prereqs for nursing school, two years nursing school, work experience then two more years of school (maybe two and a half) to become a CRNA. Depending on where you start, CRNA could take longer to achieve than MD.

My Uncle is a CRNA! If he's told me once, he's told me at least 1000 times.... go to med school and be an anesthesiologist. Don't get me wrong his job is great and he is well compensated, but compared to the anesthesia docs lifestyle he always tells me he wished he'd just gone to med school. Like others have mentioned on this thread you have to get a 4 year nursing degree, spend 2 years working in ICU (make sure you have the required pre reqs in chem), and then go to CRNA school. He works a fairly large amount of OR and OB cases, and moonlights as an anesthesia provider at a rural hospital so he brings in well more then the national CRNA salary. If it wasn't for a family, kids, and the fact that he had spent 4 years getting his nursing degree after he had already received a degree in engineering years before he probably would've gone to med school. Anyways he works a lot, has some autonomy but in a limited scope of practice, always has that feeling of "what if", and his malpractice is pretty $$$. It just depends on what you are wanting out of your future career and what you want out of yourself. CRNA is a good gig if it's what you want. Best of luck with your decision!

if you like anesthesia CRNA or AA are both good careers.

it would bore me to tears.

I know a few folks with dual certification( CRNA/NP or PA/AA) and they have a much broader scope of practice as they are basically utilized as intensivists and can cover OR/ICU/CCU/Pain Clinic/ER consults, etc. dual certification is a long road though. makes more sense to go md/do up front if you know that is the scope of practice you want in the end. there is a PA to AA bridge at emory that knocks off a semester for anyone thinking of going the dual route who is already a pa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2013 at 10:32 AM, filbert127 said:

I just started researching CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist), and it seems fantastic! Is there something I'm missing?

More autonomy and more salary than a PA... Granted, CRNAs have a less diverse scope of practice, but they own what they do procedurally, can contract independently, and do something meaningful and significant within healthcare, and get paid for it- big time.

Any thoughts/ input appreciated..

-Thanks-

Archived