I am seriously considering applying to the NHSC but have a few questions/reservations. I'm hoping someone can give me a few answers.

1. Overall, how has the experience been working with the NHSC? Are there any strings attached or sketchy things that came up that weren't apparent when initially signing up?

2. Is there a possibility that I may end up working somewhere and NEVER receive the loan repayment?

3. What must a site score be to more likely receive repayment? i.e. is 10-20 good enough?

4. Are salary and benefits provided by the site itself or the federal government? I'm assuming the site itself and thus these things vary? (I understand that if the site is say a federal prison, then the salary/benes are provided by the feds)

Thanks for any answers/insight you can give me! I really just would like some extra info from those who have gone through the process!

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently in the application process of applying for loan repayment with NHSC. I am working in family practice at a rural health clinic. I took the job knowing I "may not" be chosen for loan repayment, but that I could apply as my site was approved by the NHSC. I am in a HPSA score of 16, if that makes a difference. I found the application part to be fairly straightforward and painless. I applied in early December and have just been asked to sign a contract and give bank account information (which doesn't sound like it means I am getting the loan repayment for sure, it just seems to be the next step, I guess). I can't speak to the other questions, but I can say I have found the NHSC staff who answer the phones to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You can also become a "fan" or "like" them on facebook and they have a great discussion tab there where they answer questions, etc. Overall, I have found the process to be pretty easy and sounds like in exchange for working 2 years at a place I love, they will give me 60K toward my (HUGE!) pile of loans. Crazy penalties for not fulfilling the contract though, so make sure you find a job that you like and vice versa. Also, I am a new grad and get paid quite decently with my job, and the place I work for is a "federally qualified" rural health clinic (or something) but it is not operated and run by the gov't....my health system pays my salary and the NHSC loan repayment would just be icing on the cake! Hope that info helps. I did look into working for a women's prison that would have qualified (HPSA 21), but the pay there was quite a bit lower - but they did have great benefits! Feel free to PM if you need more specific info.

Archived