open toed shoes or sandals in the work place

Is it appropriate to wear sandals or sandal like shoes in the office as a clinician (female)?

as a PA in clinical practice, NEVER. it's not so much the poop and goo factor as it is sharps. drop a hep C-loaded needle or scalpel into your exposed flesh and you'll wish you'd never tried to go "kitten-ish" in the workplace.

I used to work with an NP in an OP surg clinic and she wore open-toed shoes and strappy sandals all the time. but she was an idiot altogether, so, go figure....

If you do procedures, not ok by OSHA regulations. If you are purely in a cognitive specialty, I have no problem with it.

I have really ugly feet (genetic) so prefer not to wear open-toed shoes. For those with pretty feet, I have no problem with it. But in a medical setting, I still think I would rather keep my toes covered. Just me.

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVE open toed shoes.....BUT...I don't think as a professional person they are appropriate for work. In my practice we have PA's, NP's and docs in several different specialties. I am ortho, but moonlight in the family clinic. The providers there (the females anyway) do often wear open toed shoes....I think they look bad. But it's my own $.02. I never wear open toes.

That being said..In my ortho practice I wear jeans and our local high school, college, semi-pro polo's to clinic fairly often. It fits what we do. In the FM clinic I wear business casual or scrubs.

I think you have to decide how you want your patients to perceive you......

Archived