Independent EMR Training?

are you computer literate and quick to learn?

This is the bigger issue, not rather you have specific experience

I have worked with people that are HORRIBLE on EMR that have a lot of experience on them, and I have worked with newbies that get it quick......

If you know the system and VERSION of the software you need to learn you likely could find some online demo's or training

It makes sense to me that when you're hired, you get trained on the specific group's software, since there are so many. So, why would so many job postings say "EMR experience?!" Frustrated.

Totally agree. Every system is grossly different. I know Cerner and DrChrono, but would be lost on Epic. What people need are good computer skills and the Ability to type 50-60 WPM.

What people need are good computer skills and the Ability to type 50-60 WPM.

I have neither but get by with using templates as much as possible and either dictating or free texting important stuff. I type with two fingers because my father (the neurologist who dictated every note once he finished residency and hand wrote them before) convinced me to drop out of a typing class in the 80's in favor of autoshop because "only secretaries need to know how to type and if you learn how to type you will be treated like a secretary". well, he was half right. we are all being treated like secretaries whether or not we can type....AKA the "secretarialization" of medicine. take folks with 6+ yrs of post high school education making 50 dollars+/hr and make them do jobs(order entry, etc) that can be done by someone with a high school diploma for min wage.

These job postings, frankly, are asinine. Having experience with one EMR means nothing when it comes to using another. These listings come from HR managers/recruiters/hiring personnel that are lacking a brain cell or two. I'm somewhat new to healthcare, but I was in IT for more than a decade. As a new nurse, I used Epic. Now I use Cerner. Having used one has nothing to do with the other. You either "get" EMR systems or you don't. Experience is largely irrelevant. Maybe they are trying to weed out candidates that are cranky about using a computer - who knows. For you, perhaps you can do some online CE in EMRs -- perhaps that would help with your application process, even though it is a waste of your money and time but would provide you with resume fodder showing that you have "experience" and training in using them and hence, no apprehension about it.

Each of the systems in different in their own way. What you might do is emphasize your computer skills in general and how they prove you are a quick study. If you have no such skills, learn Word and Excel, for example.
This. If you don't have experience with an EMR, emphasize your computer literacy. That's what counts.

Edit: If you are lacking in computer experience, you'd better get on it like Donkey Kong, Jack (a little DD reference there). The feds are demanding EMR.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

I got the job.  I wrote a letter telling him I was up to the task, quick learner, typing skills, comfy with Windows, Mac, iOS, etc.  I told him to hire me for a month no strings attached.  He hired me permanently after only 3 weeks.  I still have a lot to learn, especially about coding.  But, the charting stuff is a breeze!  I'm already showing the staff functions that I learned in the webinars that they currently don't utilize.  

What people need are good computer skills and the Ability to type 50-60 WPM.

I have good computer skills but was definitely not hired to type (I'm an average keyboarder.) Dragon types for me.  I'd like to think my time can be used better than as a transcriptionist.  I'm not dissing, but I'm not typing either.  We've been on EMR for a few years now.  No looking back.  I love it!

Archived