New Grad Pulm Job Offer

Hi everyone, just wanted to see what opinions there were in regards to this new grad job offer. I was offered a salary of $72k working in 4 hospitals primarily doing consults (10-20 patients/day), on call every other weekend, and every other holiday off. Hospital application fees would be paid for. The medical malpractice is included, along with health/dental insurance. There will be 2 weeks paid vacation. There is probation of 6 months, at which time the physician will reevaluate efficiency/skills and may consider a raise. The furthest distance is ~12mi but with heavy Miami traffic. I am going to be graduating this August, and therefore do not have much clinical experience yet. Please let me know what you think, I appreciate it!

Another big question is how much do you like pulm? I did pulm for a year as a recent grad, and while I do think lung disease is pretty cool, I also found that my knowledge of just about every other organ system dwindled over the course of that year. So did my Physical exam skills. Unless you think you will be doing pulm long term, it might be better to consider an internal med or family med job where your are actually managing patients with multiorgan system disease, rather than basically providing recommendations for treatment via a consult pertaining only to the lungs. I think IM or FM is better for learning as a new grad. Also, this salary isnt very good to begin with. Good luck.

Archived