What are my chances?

Hi all,

I took the MCAT because I originally wanted to attend medical school. I will only be applying to the 4-5 schools that accept the MCAT.

33 MCAT/89th percentile

3.25 GPA (strong upward trend, 3.6 my junior year and 3.7 my senior year)

2 years AmeriCorps experience (not health related, tutoring low-income kids in math and science, founded an internal math tutoring program)

1,000 hrs as a CNA at a nursing home

100 hours clinical volunteering

100 hours non-clinical volunteering

Thank you in advance!

• Administrator

Someone might take you, depending. But your GPA is incongruous with your MCAT in a big sort of way, and you will need to explain that well in your personal statement. You'd be better off applying broadly and taking the GRE, because the schools that accept MCAT are clogged with formerly pre-med applicants who have decided they want to go PA, many of which have far better GPAs than you do.

What schools are you applying to?

I think that is the most important factor. I don't think a 3.25 is bad, it's not the 3.4 most schools want. But lets be honest, do you really want to go to a school that cares only cares about your "overall grade" versus what kind of person you are and what type of clinician you'll be?

Ya mistakes happen, you grow up and learn from them. I think that's clearly the case here academically. When a 28-30 MCAT will get you into most med schools you're at a 33. Basically you're proving your upward trending isn't a fluke.

Don't let these guys fool you here... I got in with a 2.93 and received multiple interviews banking on my sharp upward trending (Undergrad 2.31 --> MBA 3.69 --> 4.0 Post bach prereqs).

It sounds like you're from California, so what schools are you applying to?

I think that you guys are wrong. I have a stellar MCAT score, fantastic, unique work experience through AmeriCorps, and I killed it my final two years of undergrad. I'm getting in - first attempt at every school I apply to.

If you're going to ask a question, you may not like the answer....if you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question...

Apply to those schools and see what happens but in the meantime you should be prepping for the GRE to expand your options.

I think that you guys are wrong. I have a stellar MCAT score, fantastic, unique work experience through AmeriCorps, and I killed it my final two years of undergrad. I'm getting in - first attempt at every school I apply to.

You should also work on gaining humility.

I think your confidence is good. I'm glad you are optimistic about getting in and you've worked your *** off for it. But our comments are for you to get into PA school not med school. This means that most programs will require the gre, not the mcat. Most schools require hands on health care experience. Don't get me wrong, your 1000 hours is a great place to start but you are going to be applying against people that have had full careers/ tons of military experience. Americorps is great and meaningful, but it is only going to be counted as volunteer experience. Anyways, best of luck to you.

It sounds like you are setting yourself up to learn a hard life lesson. I read a lot of stories on this forum about people with better stats who don't get in. Just some friendly advice, Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Archived