Are PAs third tier providers?

According to a report that I have read today there are 17 states that have NPs with a DNP who are getting 100% insurance reimbursement and this is just the tip of the iceberg. In 2015 all new graduate NPs will have a DNP and you will see the number of states that reimburse at this ration double. I'm not saying that they haven't earned it because their association is always moving forward legislatively and they stack up victory after victory. they have learned the meaning of advocacy and they just don't lie back and let their organization do the work, they do it as a profession.

We need the AAPA to understand what advocacy means to us and why we need to enter into every opportunity for discussion concerning reimbursement and caring for the primary care sector. We need to help them by getting involved with incentives but first they need to have some tangible incentives. The PAFT has this as a front burner issue and we will be sending out a newsletter very shortly and we need your involvement. We need you to join and then become involved and we will work actively both with you and prompting the AAPA so that we remain in the game. Third tier is not what being a PA is about.

Bob Blumm

According to a report that I have read today there are 17 states that have NPs with a DNP who are getting 100% insurance reimbursement and this is just the tip of the iceberg. In 2015 all new graduate NPs will have a DNP and you will see the number of states that reimburse at this ration double. I'm not saying that they haven't earned it because their association is always moving forward legislatively and they stack up victory after victory. they have learned the meaning of advocacy and they just don't lie back and let their organization do the work, they do it as a profession.

We need the AAPA to understand what advocacy means to us and why we need to enter into every opportunity for discussion concerning reimbursement and caring for the primary care sector. We need to help them by getting involved with incentives but first they need to have some tangible incentives. The PAFT has this as a front burner issue and we will be sending out a newsletter very shortly and we need your involvement. We need you to join and then become involved and we will work actively both with you and prompting the AAPA so that we remain in the game. Third tier is not what being a PA is about.

Bob Blumm

If DNPs make the same as doctors then why would anybody hire them? PAs are a better option.

Bob Blumm

Would you care to share the report? There hasn't been any change in Medicare reimbursement and I'm not aware of any state BON that addresses the DNP. As far as "all" NP in 2015 having their DNP, you are aware that this is a recommendation not a rule?

The ANCC has recommended the DNP for entry to practice. States have not changed their requirements, most of which are a Masters degree for APRN's. The shift will most likely come over then next few decades not by state law, but by schools only offering the DNP. There are certificate NP's just like PA's, grandfathered in. The strides NP's have made do not change the opposition in many states where PA's have less autonomy as well. Here in the southeast, it will be hard for PA's and NP's alike, and the NP momentum is not likely to change as much as out west, unless someone else gets control over the state legislature. Not arguing that NP's are gaining momentum, I just doubt NP's and PA's, who are currently facing similar practice restrictions in my state, will see very much freedom anytime soon. Hooray for the south :/

This is just another reason to create the optional DMP (Doctor of Medical Practice) degree for those Masters-level PAs who wish to gain a clinical doctorate.

I like the army/baylor model.

residency+research project = clinical doctorate in em/ortho etc (DScEM, DScOrt).

I like the army/baylor model.

residency+research project = clinical doctorate in em/ortho etc (DScEM, DScOrt).

It's pretty much what I had in mind. Makes sense to allow for specific training in both the 1 year of education and the 1 year of residency. No sense in making a Surgical PA sit through pediatrics (other than how it relates to surgery).

I deleted the article after reading it but perhaps one of my colleagues saved their mail from yesterday as its's only a day old and tells the entire story. If you find it, please post it as there are those that are unsure about the percentage change and only the article may convince them.

Bob

Not to be nitpicky but the Baylor DSc is NOT a clinical doctorate....it just isn't.....

I know what you are saying but think they might disagree with you:

[h=2]Vision[/h]The vision is to create the benchmark for postgraduate Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant education through the pursuit of academic and clinical excellence. This vision is realized by developing clinical scientists who are prepared to conduct advanced scientific research, as well as provide quality emergency care for patients with a wide variety of illnesses and injuries in the emergency department and on the battlefield. These graduate clinical scientists will develop as future leaders and mentors by establishing scholarly excellence for the Physician Assistant profession.

[h=2][/h]

I know what you are saying but think they might disagree with you:

Vision

The vision is to create the benchmark for postgraduate Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant education through the pursuit of academic and clinical excellence. This vision is realized by developing clinical scientists who are prepared to conduct advanced scientific research, as well as provide quality emergency care for patients with a wide variety of illnesses and injuries in the emergency department and on the battlefield. These graduate clinical scientists will develop as future leaders and mentors by establishing scholarly excellence for the Physician Assistant profession.

I understand what they are saying...but they are developing clinical scientists. Which is incredibly important, but the doctorate is based on their research.....the residency is their clinical education. A DSc is comparable to a PhD, not an MD, to say otherwise is misleading.

I actually support their degree, residency and aims, but we have to be honest about what it is and just as importantly, what it is not!!

Archived