Ethical Interview Questions

I wanted to begin a thread discussing various ethical interview questions and how individuals would answer them. I have looked at a couple sample interview question lists and wanted to sharpen my knowledge of ethical debates and perspectives.

What potential questions have you seen/had to answer in previous interviews?

What personal experiences have you had with ethical decisions?

Common sense dictates the answer to any ethical question you will receive.

Classic questions are

1. Your supervising doc or fellow PA is drunk at work, what do you do?

2. Pt is sent home at end of a long day but you gave him a med he's allergic to. Your doc says don't worry he'll be fine, what do you do?

Also know that it is unethical to treat your own family, and if you are seeing a friend's sick kid they still have to be brought into the office and documented on.

This is the list of potential interview questions.

http://science.iupui.edu/sites/default/files/Physician%20Assistant%20Interview%20Questions.pdf

What about the ethical and legal implications of parents refusing life saving treatment for a minor? Refusing treatment on religious grounds is a patient's autonomous right. However, when this involves a minor it becomes a potential issue of child abuse/homicide.

This is the list of potential interview questions.

http://science.iupui.edu/sites/default/files/Physician%20Assistant%20Interview%20Questions.pdf

What about the ethical and legal implications of parents refusing life saving treatment for a minor? Refusing treatment on religious grounds is a patient's autonomous right. However, when this involves a minor it becomes a potential issue of child abuse/homicide.

From what I understand, parents can only deny life saving treatments if the tx is experimental or if the parents find a way/ provider to have alternate treatments. In either case, if you aren't sure when you are answering at the interviews you can say I would refer to my SP and the hospitals legal team. Just remember the key is you are always advocating for the patients.

The ethical questions are designed to have a lot of grey area so they can see how you think. There is no single perfect answer to them, so you would be better off listening to the question carefully & thinking before stating your answer. Trying to ask for past examples & how they were answered is not a really good idea. The questions do not typically require any in depth medical knowledge etc. They are designed to see what your morals & ethics are like, & to see if you can be tactful, etc. Canned responses will be seen a mile away.

• 3 months later...

So I bought that book "how to ace the physician assistant school interview" before my first interview last month... I read it cover to cover and WAY over prepared! During my interview, the only question directly from that book I was asked was an ethical one-- they asked what you would do if your patient is diagnosed with syphillus but doesn't want to tell his wife. I went with the books answer, which uses HIV as an example, and said you had to report it to the cdc and to the wife because it's a public health risk. Wrong. Apparently this doesn't hold true for all STIs... Anyway... Lessons learned-

1. Trust your gut. I knew all about HIPPA and still went with the book answer

2. Don't overthink it.

3. Apparently, syphillus does not have to be reported... Noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 1 year later...

To clarify further-- if a disease is "reportable" this means that a provider is required to report the diagnosis to the health department. It does NOT mean that you need to report to the wife. You are the patient's healthcare provider and the patient's privacy is still your responsibility. The health department will notify partners if necessary.

Recently had an interview and did a lot of ethical prep for it which I think helped a lot. A friend sent me a massive 100 page document about medical ethics that I was going to post but I found the source of it. I'd read each of these sections, its really helpful.  Even if you think you know about some of these things, such as DNR orders or parental decision making, I'd read those sections anyway since this website teaches more how to think than what to do. Hope this helps! 

https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/resource/readings.html#advanced 

Archived