Do I have to include the "C" in my official title? My practice (8 PAs) has "-C" over everything and frankly I find it annoying having to explain the C to my patients all the time. I was asked to approve my business card and I want to tell them get rid of the -C and just make me Mahina PA. Maybe I'm just being a little OCD. any thoughts?

No C - not certified....

Just the way it is.

There used to be 2-3 states in the US that didn't require the C to be licensed.

I honestly do not know the status now.

The C is who we are. Tested under a national testing parameter for our credentialing.

Sorry, gotta use it.

You might end up explaining yourself the other way to an insurance company or inquiry.

Some docs use their board certification after their title to show that he/she is a board certified cardiologist, ob gyn, family practice etc.

My thoughts - just get used to it. It is certainly not a letter you would want to lose by failing PANRE. Be proud of it and.... you paid for it.

My very old 2 cents

The state of Washington has two sets of laws, one for PA and one for PA-C, so it is require that if you are a PA-C that you put those exact initials on everything. I was told by the Medical Quality Assurance Board (who governs us) two years ago that I cannot use "MPAS-C" on my forms, Rx and etc., which is the title I had been using. They did not know what MPAS-C means.

On official documents/forms/CV you should use the "-C"....on a business card it doesn't matter.  So...I disagree that you gotta use it period.  When you fill out application with insurance companies....you will put it.  When you have an RX pad printed...you will put it.  Just on a business card.....you don't have too.  

I shall note there are some states that have specifics about wearing a name badge that may require the -C specifically.

Archived