Chances or improvements?

Hey I know you guys get chance threads ad nauseum but I was wondering if the knowledgeable types could weigh my odds or suggest some PA programs!

Mid 20s male West Coast, moved from mountain states

-Bachelor of Science in Nursing with an overall GPA of 3.4, CASPA science estimate probably 3.2

-Approximately 2 years of RN experience with the last part in critical care

-Army Reserve officer in a leadership position within a medical unit

-Some generic hospital volunteer experience work permitting ~100 hours

-Approximately 30 hours PA shadowing and 10 hours MD

-No GRE yet

I have taken A/P 1 and 2, Gen chem, Gen bio, physics 1 and 2, microbiology, stats....pharmacology and pathophysiology via nursing.

What limits my applying is ochem because I have not found a class that can fit my work schedule (3-4 12 hour shifts a week). So my question is two fold, what are my options for applying without ochem (besides my nursing o chem class) and with ochem when I eventually take it? Am I in a good position for some schools in my current state? I don't mind moving since I have nothing tying me down.

Thanks

Take biochem (Chem 304) at SCUHS in Whittier or online at New England University online and apply to Touro University Nevada. Your nursing ochem would count for the program. Also the director of the program and a lot of the faculty come from a military background (ex military PAs / Medics).

Just a FYI that some schools in California won't look at your application because you don't have a 3.4 GPA and they prefer people without health care experience.

I think UC Davis would be killer for you because of the dual NP/MSPAS credential.

Best of luck in your application!

• 1 month later...

Digging this back up for another question. What do you guys think of me grabbing pocket medicine or sanford while still pre-PA? A lot of the docs and PAs I work with carry them around and I was wondering if it would benefit me at all to read through them (I am still in the middle of the app process)  at work when its slow (critical care is rarely slow though....transfers/admits  :( ).

Digging this back up for another question. What do you guys think of me grabbing pocket medicine or sanford while still pre-PA? A lot of the docs and PAs I work with carry them around and I was wondering if it would benefit me at all to read through them (I am still in the middle of the app process) at work when its slow (critical care is rarely slow though....transfers/admits :( ).

IMHO, unless you use drugs every day in your work, I think you might rather find a more exciting read. But that is me talking after a whole didactic year of pharm! "Loved" every minute of it.

IMHO, unless you use drugs every day in your work, I think you might rather find a more exciting read. But that is me talking after a whole didactic year of pharm! "Loved" every minute of it.

Yes I "use" drugs every day at work, too many if you ask me haha. 

Digging this back up for another question. What do you guys think of me grabbing pocket medicine or sanford while still pre-PA? A lot of the docs and PAs I work with carry them around and I was wondering if it would benefit me at all to read through them (I am still in the middle of the app process) at work when its slow (critical care is rarely slow though....transfers/admits :( ).

You might want to just get a copy of MPR and peruse that just to familiarize yourself with the common meds. Other than that, I would wait for school.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Active using Tapatalk.

Digging this back up for another question. What do you guys think of me grabbing pocket medicine or sanford while still pre-PA? A lot of the docs and PAs I work with carry them around and I was wondering if it would benefit me at all to read through them (I am still in the middle of the app process)  at work when its slow (critical care is rarely slow though....transfers/admits  :( ).

Reference texts are not really that good for just killing time.  Grab books like blueprints, step up to medicine, and dubin's rapid interp of EKGs.

Reference texts are not really that good for just killing time.  Grab books like blueprints, step up to medicine, and dubin's rapid interp of EKGs.

Took a look at Step Up to Medicine and it appears like a good read,  I like the no BS outline format for major internal medicine issues. I have Dubin's book on hand already!

Thanks for the suggestions, I will save Pocket Medicine/Sanfords for actual practice or S2 ;)

Archived