PAs and NPs can't sign for glucose test strips

So Walmart pharmacy sent a fax to the office stating that rx for glucose test strips , according to Medicare part B rules can only be signed for by an MD or DO. No PA or NP can sign. Is this the begining of the end? What's next, no cat. 3-5? I feel like we are slowly being chopped back on what we can and can't do and can't do a damn thing about it.

so put the MD stamp on it ... waste paper and everyone's time .... and participate in the ridiculous process that is American medicine ha. I do not see any further drug prescribing limitations being placed on PAs. THE ONLY limitations I could see in the future surround chronic pain medication. I could see restrictions being placed on who can/should manage chronic pain. And I am not sure I disagree with this. Too many MD and PA over prescribe and get patients/themselves into big trouble.

I have had this problem before and all it took was putting my NPI number on the script. If Walgreens has a problem you can always call them and explain and if they still give you crapola just inofrm them you will from now on inform all your pts to go to CVS..... :-)

I've ordered DM supplies with no problems to Medicare, Medicaid and all private and corporate insurances here in California.

However, I had an incident last week as I was covering for another provider. Pharmacy called stating the supplemental insurance company (for a Medicaid patient) DOES NOT ACCEPT or RECOGNIZE PA's PRESCRIPTIONS. But I could phone it in under the MDs license (he is currently on vacation)... BTW the Rx was for routine Metformin, Benazepril and Simvastatin.

Well, well. I put my workload on hold and decided to make the necessary phone calls and EDUCATE whoever is ignorant enough to make such ludicrous statement. I was livid. After 2 hours on the phone between patients, pharmacist called me and said the insurance company had my NPI number wrong, and when the computer rejected it, the insurance clerk told the pharmacist it was denied BECAUSE THE PRESCRIBER IS A P.A. "But it's now all taken care of, sorry for the inconvenience"

Guest Paula

Whenever someone tells me I can't do something because Medicare (or something else says so ) I do not believe them. Always ask for proof and for the documentation. Many times there will be back pedaling because it is not verified and these urban legends just keep getting passed around.

zepoPA has the right idea.

Archived