Pre-School Reading or, WTF "House of God"?

So I had heard from a few people that House of God was on the must-read list for my downtime between now and school starting. I just got it today for my birthday and the first chapter left me seriously wondering what is up with this book! LOL Does it get better?! Life is too short to read bad books. Does anyone else have good book picks?

If you haven't worked in a hospital you won't understand the absolute brillance of this book. If this is the case wait to read it until you've completed your clinical year. I guarantee you'll be laughing your A%$ off as well as wondering if the rules are true. I don't think this book should be on a "Pre-reading list" but a "Post-reading" list.

If you are looking for another medicine related book try. "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down."

I guess I was just taken aback by the sexuality in the first chapter, I wasn't expecting it at all. Maybe I'll just shelf this one for now and revisit when I'm in my clinical year, like HopefulPA suggested.

Anyone else have other reading suggestions? Not limited to medicine related. I love reading and run out of good books quickly, I'd love some suggestions for new authors to try!

"BLind Eye" by James Stewart A great suspense novel based on Dr. Michael Swango. I listen to this on Audio on a drive from Detroit to Atlanta and after driving for nearly 9 straight hours found myself so rivited I sat for a 1/2 hr in my car still listening in my friends driveway until they came out and said "what are you doing sitting in the car?" LOL It is a real page turner and based on a true story.

"GOMER"- get out of my emergency room. Not sure what to do with a gomer? Crank the bed up waist high, leave the rail down, boom! They fall out, broken arm. TURF them to ortho!

Hilarious stuff....

A little higher on the bed....neuro height..bingo, turf...just hope they don't bounce(back)....buffing , turfing, and bouncing...classic stuff...."they can always hurt you more".....

It's styling is a little dated given that is reflects medicine in the late 70s. However, it is a remarkably accurate portrayal of hospital medicine and the hell that most docs describe as intern year. If you are turned off by the sexuality then you may not like the rest of the book but as our culture has "progressed" the sexuality in medicine (at least in my opinion) is even more pervasive. There are a lot of truisms that have come from this book and if you want to understand a lot of what people do in medicine, this book will help you along that path...

But don't judge it by just the first chapter... the Fat Man's wisdom hasn't even started coming to light yet...

G

How about "The Native Son" by Richard Wright... I read it in high school and still remember it being a page turner. Warning, it is somewhat violent... Another one I liked too was " A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" takes place in Sierra Leone... sad, but is based on a true story... I read it all in one sitting on a flight.

Ooh, thanks for all the good suggestions! I'm working on the new Stephen King right now, but after that it looks like I'll have plenty of things to look for at the library!

Tainolee, I actually read A Long Way Gone this summer, I too read it in one sitting.. It was strange and sad, but I did enjoy it as well.

Other books I really enjoy are the ones by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.. They have quite a few books that feature slightly supernatural/historical themes, always murder-related, but they're so rich in detail they take me FOREVER (read: a week or more. I'm a voracious reader.) to get through because I pore over every bit... but when you get to the end, you're sad that the adventure is over...

And then some Janet Evanovich novels, when my brain needs a rest :)

Archived