Noticed a lot of negativity/second guessing

I noticed a lot of people going PA that wished they had gone to med school instead and also a lot of people dissatisfied with being a PA (not having the final say at work, hours, how they are viewed by others , etc).

I will be returning to school after doing a few years in the military and becoming a PA is one of my plans. I always wanted to do something in health care and PA seemed like something that could allow me to help others and also get decent pay. The only thing stopping me from going to a PA program is deciding whether or not I want to go to med school instead and the negative comments of others already involved in a PA job/school.

With that being said is there anyone here that doesn't regret becoming a PA and actually has positive things to say about it?

I noticed a lot of people going PA that wished they had gone to med school instead and also a lot of people dissatisfied with being a PA (not having the final say at work, hours, how they are viewed by others , etc).

I will be returning to school after doing a few years in the military and becoming a PA is one of my plans. I always wanted to do something in health care and PA seemed like something that could allow me to help others and also get decent pay. The only thing stopping me from going to a PA program is deciding whether or not I want to go to med school instead and the negative comments of others already involved in a PA job/school.

With that being said is there anyone here that doesn't regret becoming a PA and actually has positive things to say about it?

There are a lot of people who feel that way, are incredibly happy in their career choice, and wouldn't choose any other path. Others looking back have felt differently. There are right around 1.2billion threads on this topic here in the forum, try out the search function, wish you the best of luck going through them!

There are a lot of people who feel that way, are incredibly happy in their career choice, and wouldn't choose any other path. Others looking back have felt differently. There are right around 1.2billion threads on this topic here in the forum, try out the search function, wish you the best of luck going through them!

I'm with cjancay, now. I had to job hop a bit until I found a Doc of many years who got me right away ... got a key to the practice on the first day and that was that. I practice independently and he's always available for a question should I have one. I have worked in the 'other' types of nightmare positions that you hear about tho, they can be hell. It all depends on finding the right fit for your particular situation. Some need and want more supervision than others and others are appropriate with less. Some places are respectful, some are mills (and some are mills for Docs as much as they are for PAs). It depends on finding a practice where PA vs NP education is appreciated and appropriate per the type and level of practice and the experience of the provider. Or if you want to eventually own your own practice, there are rules State to State. There are many variables to the decision you face. I had the grades to go to med school should I have tried, however I had years of familiarity with medical work so I really just wanted to jump right in. If I had been younger and less experienced, I likely would have stuck it out for a few more years to gain the experience through my schooling before I hit the ground on my own. As it was I had been schooled by many Docs (and Nurses) along the way already. Plus I had already dealt with kidney stones myself lol ... it really is all about experience in the end, as are many if not most paths in life.

I'm with cjancay, now. I had to job hop a bit until I found a Doc of many years who got me right away ... got a key to the practice on the first day and that was that. I practice independently and he's always available for a question should I have one. I have worked in the 'other' types of nightmare positions that you hear about tho, they can be hell. It all depends on finding the right fit for your particular situation. Some need and want more supervision than others and others are appropriate with less. Some places are respectful, some are mills (and some are mills for Docs as much as they are for PAs). It depends on finding a practice where PA vs NP education is appreciated and appropriate per the type and level of practice and the experience of the provider. Or if you want to eventually own your own practice, there are rules State to State. There are many variables to the decision you face. I had the grades to go to med school should I have tried, however I had years of familiarity with medical work so I really just wanted to jump right in. If I had been younger and less experienced, I likely would have stuck it out for a few more years to gain the experience through my schooling before I hit the ground on my own. As it was I had been schooled by many Docs (and Nurses) along the way already. Plus I had already dealt with kidney stones myself lol ... it really is all about experience in the end, as are many if not most paths in life.

I became a PA late in my working life and don't regret the choice. It continues amazes me that I can do what I do for patients without sacrificing excessive free time now nor the decade of preparation that it would have taken to become a physician. All the jobs I've had have had their crappy sides and this one is no different. What is different and especially rewarding are the several times every day when I know exactly why I'm here.

As with other careers -- especially ones this young -- there is significant room for improvement. I think that is why you see what you see on this forum. And, of course, there are people in every discipline who wish they had done something different with their lives. Many of them probsbly should try to do just that: life is too short to be doing something that you no longer enjoy.

I became a PA late in my working life and don't regret the choice. It continues amazes me that I can do what I do for patients without sacrificing excessive free time now nor the decade of preparation that it would have taken to become a physician. All the jobs I've had have had their crappy sides and this one is no different. What is different and especially rewarding are the several times every day when I know exactly why I'm here.

As with other careers -- especially ones this young -- there is significant room for improvement. I think that is why you see what you see on this forum. And, of course, there are people in every discipline who wish they had done something different with their lives. Many of them probsbly should try to do just that: life is too short to be doing something that you no longer enjoy.

I will preface this with saying I am only a PA student...so my opinions are based on experiences that are not my own. I was a medic in the ARMY for 8 years, and was able to work with a number of providers (MDs, NPs, PAs, RNs). I have met more docs who wish they had gone PA than PAs who wish they had gone MD, NP, etc. As it has been said, a lot of people are unhappy with specific jobs, rules, etc, but perhaps they didn't do the appropriate research on their jobs. Just because you love a career, doesn't mean that you will love every job. I will be starting school next month at UC Davis, and cannot wait. I am so excited for the challenges and experiences still to come.

I will preface this with saying I am only a PA student...so my opinions are based on experiences that are not my own. I was a medic in the ARMY for 8 years, and was able to work with a number of providers (MDs, NPs, PAs, RNs). I have met more docs who wish they had gone PA than PAs who wish they had gone MD, NP, etc. As it has been said, a lot of people are unhappy with specific jobs, rules, etc, but perhaps they didn't do the appropriate research on their jobs. Just because you love a career, doesn't mean that you will love every job. I will be starting school next month at UC Davis, and cannot wait. I am so excited for the challenges and experiences still to come.

Archived