Noticed a lot of negativity/second guessing

sacprepa, you thinking about going back in as a PA?, good to see another whiskey.

iyoojin: There's a really good chance of that. I did 6 years active duty as 91W/68W, then 2 years reserves, with 2 tours in Iraq and absolutely loved it. I'd love to go back and finish out my 20, maybe Reserves first, not sure. I really miss the structure of the military lifestyle, but am glad to be doing PA school as a civilian, though a friend of mine recently graduated from the program at Ft. Sam and said it was fantastic.

sacprepa, you thinking about going back in as a PA?, good to see another whiskey.

iyoojin: There's a really good chance of that. I did 6 years active duty as 91W/68W, then 2 years reserves, with 2 tours in Iraq and absolutely loved it. I'd love to go back and finish out my 20, maybe Reserves first, not sure. I really miss the structure of the military lifestyle, but am glad to be doing PA school as a civilian, though a friend of mine recently graduated from the program at Ft. Sam and said it was fantastic.

Please don't base your judgment off of what you read here. Shadow a handful of PAs and physicians in different settings and ask them questions/make your own observations.

This. As on any forum, especially healthcare, there will be many who have the grass is greener syndrome....been PAs for awhile, experience the good and bad, focus on the bad mostly and think similar professions would be so much better for them.

Please don't base your judgment off of what you read here. Shadow a handful of PAs and physicians in different settings and ask them questions/make your own observations.

This. As on any forum, especially healthcare, there will be many who have the grass is greener syndrome....been PAs for awhile, experience the good and bad, focus on the bad mostly and think similar professions would be so much better for them.

Cool. Thanks for the answers.

I just noticed a lot of people who regret the decision on here. And the few that I actually met weren't happy either.

I've traveled many parts of the country over the last 10 years and have visited hundreds of medical practices. There are many, many happy/satisfied PAs out there who don't even know this forum exists.

I just noticed a lot of people who regret the decision on here. And the few that I actually met weren't happy either.

I've traveled many parts of the country over the last 10 years and have visited hundreds of medical practices. There are many, many happy/satisfied PAs out there who don't even know this forum exists.

I was accepted into TWO medical schools. For a few reasons, I went PA instead and I haven't looked back. Ever hear the term "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" not totally applicable, but basically those that are content and happy do not get on boards and complain about it...

I was accepted into TWO medical schools. For a few reasons, I went PA instead and I haven't looked back. Ever hear the term "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" not totally applicable, but basically those that are content and happy do not get on boards and complain about it...

Well said, fireguy. As with ANY profession, there are sour people who regret their choice but never make the moves needed to be more fulfilled. That's a shame but that's life. For me, I try to glean the wonderful advice from those who have both the experience and the kindness to share on this forum. I have gotten so much encouragement and I try to pay that forward.

Well said, fireguy. As with ANY profession, there are sour people who regret their choice but never make the moves needed to be more fulfilled. That's a shame but that's life. For me, I try to glean the wonderful advice from those who have both the experience and the kindness to share on this forum. I have gotten so much encouragement and I try to pay that forward.

Yep, psychological research shows about 10% of one's happiness is due to circumstances, 50% to genetics, and 40% to the factors that are in our control. Given that less than a quarter of people's happiness has to do with their circumstances, it's no surprise there is such a diverse perspective on happiness in one's employment - regardless of the profession.

Archived