AAMC Physician Workforce Research Meeting

Just got home from the AAMC annual physician workforce research meeting.

Great meeting with good PA attendance. PAEA had a VERY strong presence there, with President, President Elect, VP, and CEO all here. Additionally, at least 5 PA faculty are here, and there was also some NP presence, along with the President of the AACN (who happens to be a wonderful lady). NCCPA was also in attendance....

The AAPA at one point used to attend this meeting enthusiastically, but they were absent this year.

Great talks, Morgan (PA/PhD) from Duke gave a great talk on PA/NP/Physician demographics and patient visit characteristics in community health centers. Coplan (PA faculty) from Northern Arizona University gave a good talk on the division of labor amongst PA/NP/Physicians using the NAMCS data set. I gave two poster presentations, and there were several other PA posters, including one from Coombs (PA/PhD) from the University of Utah.

Many of the talks were very interesting. Overall, we suck. The WHO statistic of the US ranking 37th in healthcare delivery was often discussed and every attendee (which included ACGME, AMA, AAMC, and NBME heavyweights, along with some of the top names in research) agreed that we need to make dramatic changes to HOW we deliver care, along with how we deploy and use providers. A lot of discussion of team based care. Sam Nussbaum gave a great talk about a lot of the changes that Wellpoint BC/BS is using to change provider practice.

Some of the facts were notable, for example there will be a significant increase in physician providers by 2017. Right now, MD graduates will increase by roughly 25% by 2017 with an additional 4591 graduates. While DO graduates will actually double by 2017 with an additional 3707 graduates.

We all agree that health care costs are skyrocketing. From 2002 to 2011, medical premiums increased from 9235 per year to 20728. Over the same time period, average income has only increased from 49309 to 50502. This was a stark reminder of just how badly we are controlling costs.

Productivity in healthcare has tanked. Yes, we all suck. Including PAs. General employment overall increased over the past ten years by 0.7%, and productivity increased even more by 1.8%...NOT so in healthcare, where employment increased dramatically by 2.9%, BUT productivity tanked, and decreased by -0.6%........Yes...NEGATIVE productivity. This is multifactorial, and has to do with EMRs, use of quality metrics, etc. I think personally, this is merely a reflection of the dramatic changes that we are undergoing now, and that this will improve slowly over time.

Anyway, great meeting.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great meeting with good PA attendance. PAEA had a VERY strong presence there, with President, President Elect, VP, and CEO all here. Additionally, at least 5 PA faculty are here, and there was also some NP presence, along with the President of the AACN (who happens to be a wonderful lady). NCCPA was also in attendance....

The AAPA at one point used to attend this meeting enthusiastically, but they were absent this year.

Great talks, Morgan (PA/PhD) from Duke gave a great talk on PA/NP/Physician demographics and patient visit characteristics in community health centers. Coplan (PA faculty) from Northern Arizona University gave a good talk on the division of labor amongst PA/NP/Physicians using the NAMCS data set. I gave two poster presentations, and there were several other PA posters, including one from Coombs (PA/PhD) from the University of Utah.

Many of the talks were very interesting. Overall, we suck. The WHO statistic of the US ranking 37th in healthcare delivery was often discussed and every attendee (which included ACGME, AMA, AAMC, and NBME heavyweights, along with some of the top names in research) agreed that we need to make dramatic changes to HOW we deliver care, along with how we deploy and use providers. A lot of discussion of team based care. Sam Nussbaum gave a great talk about a lot of the changes that Wellpoint BC/BS is using to change provider practice.

Some of the facts were notable, for example there will be a significant increase in physician providers by 2017. Right now, MD graduates will increase by roughly 25% by 2017 with an additional 4591 graduates. While DO graduates will actually double by 2017 with an additional 3707 graduates.

We all agree that health care costs are skyrocketing. From 2002 to 2011, medical premiums increased from 9235 per year to 20728. Over the same time period, average income has only increased from 49309 to 50502. This was a stark reminder of just how badly we are controlling costs.

Productivity in healthcare has tanked. Yes, we all suck. Including PAs. General employment overall increased over the past ten years by 0.7%, and productivity increased even more by 1.8%...NOT so in healthcare, where employment increased dramatically by 2.9%, BUT productivity tanked, and decreased by -0.6%........Yes...NEGATIVE productivity. This is multifactorial, and has to do with EMRs, use of quality metrics, etc. I think personally, this is merely a reflection of the dramatic changes that we are undergoing now, and that this will improve slowly over time.

Anyway, great meeting.

Anyway, great meeting.

. Productivity in healthcare has tanked. Yes, we all suck. Including PAs. General employment overall increased over the past ten years by 0.7%, and productivity increased even more by 1.8%...NOT so in healthcare, where employment increased dramatically by 2.9%, BUT productivity tanked, and decreased by -0.6%........Yes...NEGATIVE productivity. This is multifactorial, and has to do with EMRs, use of quality metrics, etc. I think personally, this is merely a reflection of the dramatic changes that we are undergoing now, and that this will improve slowly over time.

THANK YOU EMR's....:(

. Productivity in healthcare has tanked. Yes, we all suck. Including PAs. General employment overall increased over the past ten years by 0.7%, and productivity increased even more by 1.8%...NOT so in healthcare, where employment increased dramatically by 2.9%, BUT productivity tanked, and decreased by -0.6%........Yes...NEGATIVE productivity. This is multifactorial, and has to do with EMRs, use of quality metrics, etc. I think personally, this is merely a reflection of the dramatic changes that we are undergoing now, and that this will improve slowly over time.

OK, thank you EMR's, HIPPA, the joint commission, insurance company utilization management, and pharmaceutical profit margins....(I know there are other factors as well although I am guessing EMR is near the top. I know going to an EMR cuts my productivity by 50% vs dictation or paper charting).

OK, thank you EMR's, HIPPA, the joint commission, insurance company utilization management, and pharmaceutical profit margins....(I know there are other factors as well although I am guessing EMR is near the top. I know going to an EMR cuts my productivity by 50% vs dictation or paper charting).

You forgot the lawyers. 40% of what I do is to prevent buying someone else's lawyer a new house.

You forgot the lawyers. 40% of what I do is to prevent buying someone else's lawyer a new house.

Man, you will latch onto ANYTHING that will paint EMR's in a bad light :-D. In fact, when I read that particular part about EMR's, I wondered just how far down the responses list your post would be ;)

Man, you will latch onto ANYTHING that will paint EMR's in a bad light :-D. In fact, when I read that particular part about EMR's, I wondered just how far down the responses list your post would be ;)

The first place I worked at that added an EMR in 2000 planned to double staff until folks were as fast as they were on paper. they are still on double staffing today.

EMR's are the devil. they suck productivity and offer little in return.

The govt is requiring the use of EMR's but at the same time they are fining folks for cloning(using templated exams which look similar for multiple pts). using a template is one of the only advantages of emr documentation and we are discouraged from doing it....I go to epic at one of my rural per diem jobs in june but fortunately they will allow us to dictate the H+P, ed course, and medical decision making which should make it less painful. we still need to do ordering, rxs and and d/c in epic.

my primary job is still on paper charts. my newest rural job I need to learn cerner...not looking forward to that at all....

The first place I worked at that added an EMR in 2000 planned to double staff until folks were as fast as they were on paper. they are still on double staffing today.

The govt is requiring the use of EMR's but at the same time they are fining folks for cloning(using templated exams which look similar for multiple pts). using a template is one of the only advantages of emr documentation and we are discouraged from doing it....I go to epic at one of my rural per diem jobs in june but fortunately they will allow us to dictate the H+P, ed course, and medical decision making which should make it less painful. we still need to do ordering, rxs and and d/c in epic.

my primary job is still on paper charts. my newest rural job I need to learn cerner...not looking forward to that at all....

Anyway, great meeting.

Thanks for the update.

Anyway, great meeting.

Thanks for the update.

Anyway, great meeting.

Thanks for the update.

What is the AAMC?

As far as EMR, I can gather it would be an issue in the ER. As a cardiology PA, I think EMR is great. I can get to all the old tests, etc very quickly and our progress notes and easy to develop. Consults in the hospital are dictated (and then they go to EMR) and that seems like the best of both worlds.

We have one system in the office (Centricity) and three different ones in the three local hospital systems. Cerner, BTW, is my least favorite; good luck figuring out what one time doses a patient has already received. My favorite is EPIC.

Archived