MD signature for diabetic testing supplies?

I've been a family practice PA for over 6 years. I know we have always had to have MD signature for diabetic shoes, but until today, have never had a problem with testing supplies? The pharmacist who spoke to me, was rather rude about it, too! He said all diabetic testing supply orders had to have MD signature or he wouldn't fill them. He would not accept my order. Is this correct? I practice in KY.

Thanks!

I've been a family practice PA for over 6 years. I know we have always had to have MD signature for diabetic shoes, but until today, have never had a problem with testing supplies? The pharmacist who spoke to me, was rather rude about it, too! He said all diabetic testing supply orders had to have MD signature or he wouldn't fill them. He would not accept my order. Is this correct? I practice in KY.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I just recently wrote refills on one Medicare patient to be dispense from mail order pharmacy so it's definitely not a Medicare issue. Why would it be a problem now? didn't KY just lift restrictions on their PAs also (re: supervisory legislation) so why would the pharmacist say that? Grrr...

I just recently wrote refills on one Medicare patient to be dispense from mail order pharmacy so it's definitely not a Medicare issue. Why would it be a problem now? didn't KY just lift restrictions on their PAs also (re: supervisory legislation) so why would the pharmacist say that? Grrr...

This was a KY medicaid patient (coventry cares), so maybe it is some requirement for them? I told the pharmacist that no other pharmacy required this, and he said they were just all "letting it slide", but they were trying to do things correctly. It's still very frustrating...

This was a KY medicaid patient (coventry cares), so maybe it is some requirement for them? I told the pharmacist that no other pharmacy required this, and he said they were just all "letting it slide", but they were trying to do things correctly. It's still very frustrating...

Sigh.

Call the SCBME, clarify your prescriptive authority, then write, w/copy to The pharmacist, to the state board of pharmacy and ask for a formal declaration of pharmacy law and TGE pharm board's intention to follow the state legislation ( giving you authority to prescribe ).

If they say that you are authorized, but that this pharmacist is within his professional rights questioning and not filling your prescriptions, then take the matter to your state representative as a matter of the pharmacist denying care to your patients.

If they say you are authorized, and that the pharmacist needs to honor your rx, then take that to the Medicaid and CMS folks, again, as a matter of health care availability denial by this pharmacist.

Further, instruct your patients to stop using this pharmacy, call a competing pharmacy and see if they woud be interested in having all of your prescriptions presented to them.. Maybe they might give your patients a 5% off rate.. I am sure they would appreciate your business.. Then request every patient to not go to the offending pharmacy, and tell the patients why.

Ask you doc to back you up on this and to stop using this pharmacy also.

Good luck.

Sigh.

Call the SCBME, clarify your prescriptive authority, then write, w/copy to The pharmacist, to the state board of pharmacy and ask for a formal declaration of pharmacy law and TGE pharm board's intention to follow the state legislation ( giving you authority to prescribe ).

If they say that you are authorized, but that this pharmacist is within his professional rights questioning and not filling your prescriptions, then take the matter to your state representative as a matter of the pharmacist denying care to your patients.

If they say you are authorized, and that the pharmacist needs to honor your rx, then take that to the Medicaid and CMS folks, again, as a matter of health care availability denial by this pharmacist.

Further, instruct your patients to stop using this pharmacy, call a competing pharmacy and see if they woud be interested in having all of your prescriptions presented to them.. Maybe they might give your patients a 5% off rate.. I am sure they would appreciate your business.. Then request every patient to not go to the offending pharmacy, and tell the patients why.

Good luck.

Sigh.

Good luck.

Sigh.

Good luck.

Nicely done, Sir.

Sigh.

Good luck.

Nicely done, Sir.

Sigh.

Good luck.

Nicely done, Sir.

Archived