MD signature for diabetic testing supplies?

Sigh.

Call the SCBME, clarify your prescriptive authority, then write, w/copy to The pharmacist, to the state board of pharmacy and ask for a formal declaration of pharmacy law and TGE pharm board's intention to follow the state legislation ( giving you authority to prescribe ).

If they say that you are authorized, but that this pharmacist is within his professional rights questioning and not filling your prescriptions, then take the matter to your state representative as a matter of the pharmacist denying care to your patients.

If they say you are authorized, and that the pharmacist needs to honor your rx, then take that to the Medicaid and CMS folks, again, as a matter of health care availability denial by this pharmacist.

Further, instruct your patients to stop using this pharmacy, call a competing pharmacy and see if they woud be interested in having all of your prescriptions presented to them.. Maybe they might give your patients a 5% off rate.. I am sure they would appreciate your business.. Then request every patient to not go to the offending pharmacy, and tell the patients why.

Ask you doc to back you up on this and to stop using this pharmacy also.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I live and work in a small/rural area and unfortunately there aren't alot of pharmacies. I'm the only PA practicing in this county, the rest are NPs. I'm going to call and speak with the pharmacist again to see what his reasoning is and also plan to call the insurance company....

Sigh.

Call the SCBME, clarify your prescriptive authority, then write, w/copy to The pharmacist, to the state board of pharmacy and ask for a formal declaration of pharmacy law and TGE pharm board's intention to follow the state legislation ( giving you authority to prescribe ).

If they say that you are authorized, but that this pharmacist is within his professional rights questioning and not filling your prescriptions, then take the matter to your state representative as a matter of the pharmacist denying care to your patients.

If they say you are authorized, and that the pharmacist needs to honor your rx, then take that to the Medicaid and CMS folks, again, as a matter of health care availability denial by this pharmacist.

Further, instruct your patients to stop using this pharmacy, call a competing pharmacy and see if they woud be interested in having all of your prescriptions presented to them.. Maybe they might give your patients a 5% off rate.. I am sure they would appreciate your business.. Then request every patient to not go to the offending pharmacy, and tell the patients why.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I live and work in a small/rural area and unfortunately there aren't alot of pharmacies. I'm the only PA practicing in this county, the rest are NPs. I'm going to call and speak with the pharmacist again to see what his reasoning is and also plan to call the insurance company....

Sigh.

Good luck.

In Texas, since this is a delegated authority (Rx writing), the state pharmacy board guidelines allow for a pharmacist to decline a Rx and then follow up with the SP for authorization/clarification since they are in control of the dispensing. I've seen it happen once, though I can't recall if it was in the ED or in my last position. The other option provided would be a viable work around (go to separate pharmacy).

In Texas, since this is a delegated authority (Rx writing), the state pharmacy board guidelines allow for a pharmacist to decline a Rx and then follow up with the SP for authorization/clarification since they are in control of the dispensing. I've seen it happen once, though I can't recall if it was in the ED or in my last position. The other option provided would be a viable work around (go to separate pharmacy).

Archived