I have 3 questions about PA schools??

1. Do PA schools care what you major in? Is it true that they favor health-related degrees over non health care related? OR do they actually like non science majors and find biology majors too ordinary and common?

2. Do PA schools look down upon a Bachelor's of Arts? Would they rather accept someone who has a bachelor's of Science?

3. Do PA schools look down upon applicants who haven't taken any hard classes like neuroscience, endocrinology, immunology, etc? But the applicant has taken all the prerequisites that are required?

I'm trying to choose between 2 majors and I just wanted to make sure I'm not choosing the wrong one. It's either Biology & Society, BS or Global Health, BA.

Thank you!!!

I got my BA in communications (emphasis in advertising) the got an MBA (emphasis in marketing).

When I interviewed they asked me "you only have just over 50 science credits, most PA students have over 80 science credits. Do you feel you're going to be at a disadvantage?" To which I replied "I may only have 50 or so units but I've shown I am able to master this subject by receiving a 4.0 in my science prerequisites. I don't feel I'll be at a disadvantage. You guys are going to teach my what I need to know. My job is to learn and master what you present to me. I'm confident ill do my best to accomplish that as proven in my transcripts." That was the end of that question.

Most students in my class have science related degrees. So it's your choice on how you'd like to proceed. My advice is to get a bachelors in something that will leave you with a trade to get a job that'll give you great HCE (ie BSN, RT, EMT-P, and etc). That way you'll at least have a solid plan B and not just a piece of paper hoping you'll get into a PA program.

It doesn't matter what you major in. I was an engineer and took just the prereqs. The bigger questions about your 4 undergraduate years are: (1) what do you want to learn about and (2) if PA school falls through or you decide to change careers later, will it help you get a job somewhere that you would enjoy doing?

Archived