What are my chances?

Hello,

I stumbled upon the MEDEX PA program and am quite intrigued to be honest. I was wondering if any current students or alumni can shed some light as to me having even a possibility of gaining acceptance into the bachelors program.

A little about me...

I am 26 years old, married with 2 kids. I live in Ohio. I recently stopped working full time as a firefighter / paramedic to go to school full time pursuing a biology degree with the plan of going to medical school. Prior to that I spent almost 5 years full time on a very busy urban fire department as a firefighter / paramedic (split time between fire and ambulance duty). I have nearly 2 years working at a large academic medical center in the ER as an "expanded scope" ER tech. This included pt. assessment, IV access, nearly complete formulary medication administration, intubation, and splinting. I also have 2 more years of full time EMT/medic experience and have always worked at least one part time ambulance gig. In total I have over 15,000 verifiable direct patient care hours.

I currently have a 3.6gpa overall with 2 semesters under my belt. I would need to complete the science courses and the A&P courses.

Recently I have had my second thoughts on the medical school route. I am not sure I willing to give up the rest of my 20s and a good portion of my 30s. If I was single their would be no question. As a father and husband I have some qualms. Going PA would be a compromise for sure but one that seems to fit what I am looking for.

If I was to complete the minimum prerequisites combined with my background, would I have a chance for matriculation?

Any insight or advice would be well appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben Bindokas

Hello,

I stumbled upon the MEDEX PA program and am quite intrigued to be honest. I was wondering if any current students or alumni can shed some light as to me having even a possibility of gaining acceptance into the bachelors program.

A little about me...

I am 26 years old, married with 2 kids. I live in Ohio. I recently stopped working full time as a firefighter / paramedic to go to school full time pursuing a biology degree with the plan of going to medical school. Prior to that I spent almost 5 years full time on a very busy urban fire department as a firefighter / paramedic (split time between fire and ambulance duty). I have nearly 2 years working at a large academic medical center in the ER as an "expanded scope" ER tech. This included pt. assessment, IV access, nearly complete formulary medication administration, intubation, and splinting. I also have 2 more years of full time EMT/medic experience and have always worked at least one part time ambulance gig. In total I have over 15,000 verifiable direct patient care hours.

I currently have a 3.6gpa overall with 2 semesters under my belt. I would need to complete the science courses and the A&P courses.

Recently I have had my second thoughts on the medical school route. I am not sure I willing to give up the rest of my 20s and a good portion of my 30s. If I was single their would be no question. As a father and husband I have some qualms. Going PA would be a compromise for sure but one that seems to fit what I am looking for.

If I was to complete the minimum prerequisites combined with my background, would I have a chance for matriculation?

Any insight or advice would be well appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben Bindokas

Hey There Ben,

From what you shared you'll be a strong candidate to almost any PA program. Now, about your specific question regarding your chances at MEDEX - probably not so hot. MEDEX is very focused on recruiting people who have strong ties to the Northwest. I have included a statement from their Statistics page. Basically about 80% of each year's incoming class are from the northwest and the other 20% usually have some kind of tie or motive to move and remain in the Northwest.

This aside, you sound like you could be very competitive. I would however look into several other programs too! You seem like the perfect candidate for the PA profession, good luck!!

"MEDEX is a regional program with a history of training students from the WWAMI region as well as rural areas in Oregon, Nevada and, across the United States. The majority of the class accepted in 2010 was from the WWAMI region and Nevada totaling 79%."

http://www.washington.edu/medicine/som/depts/medex/applicants/statistics_incomingclass.htm

Cheers!

Hey There Ben,

From what you shared you'll be a strong candidate to almost any PA program. Now, about your specific question regarding your chances at MEDEX - probably not so hot. MEDEX is very focused on recruiting people who have strong ties to the Northwest. I have included a statement from their Statistics page. Basically about 80% of each year's incoming class are from the northwest and the other 20% usually have some kind of tie or motive to move and remain in the Northwest.

This aside, you sound like you could be very competitive. I would however look into several other programs too! You seem like the perfect candidate for the PA profession, good luck!!

"MEDEX is a regional program with a history of training students from the WWAMI region as well as rural areas in Oregon, Nevada and, across the United States. The majority of the class accepted in 2010 was from the WWAMI region and Nevada totaling 79%."

http://www.washington.edu/medicine/som/depts/medex/applicants/statistics_incomingclass.htm

Cheers!

I am in my clinical year at Medex and am friends with folks in the class behind me as well.

i can say MEDEX has really lightened up on the regional thing lately. My class on the Yakima campus had Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado, Oklahoma, Alaska, Montana, and North Carolina. I know the class behind me took a guy from Georgia.

I would highly recommend that you apply once you have the pre reqs done.

As far as your question about the bare minimum...I went in with 22 years. Guy on my right had I think nine years criticsl care paramedic, guy on my left was five years EMT/Firefighter and surgical tech a couple of years prior to that. My roommate had around 15 or so years in ALS medicine including flight medic and organ transplant team. My other roommate had 5 or 6 years as a nurse. Guy in the back of the class just got out of the Navy as a corpsman...he retired after doing twenty years...the list goes on, you get the idea.

The campuses that did the Masters (Seattle and Spokane) didnt have as much depth to their experience pool as they had all spent their time getting their undergrad instead if working in the field.

Your GPA and experience sound good though, I vote you go for it.

Steve

I am in my clinical year at Medex and am friends with folks in the class behind me as well.

i can say MEDEX has really lightened up on the regional thing lately. My class on the Yakima campus had Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado, Oklahoma, Alaska, Montana, and North Carolina. I know the class behind me took a guy from Georgia.

I would highly recommend that you apply once you have the pre reqs done.

As far as your question about the bare minimum...I went in with 22 years. Guy on my right had I think nine years criticsl care paramedic, guy on my left was five years EMT/Firefighter and surgical tech a couple of years prior to that. My roommate had around 15 or so years in ALS medicine including flight medic and organ transplant team. My other roommate had 5 or 6 years as a nurse. Guy in the back of the class just got out of the Navy as a corpsman...he retired after doing twenty years...the list goes on, you get the idea.

The campuses that did the Masters (Seattle and Spokane) didnt have as much depth to their experience pool as they had all spent their time getting their undergrad instead if working in the field.

Your GPA and experience sound good though, I vote you go for it.

Steve

you sound like a great candidate but as mentioned above they do have a STRONG preference for WAMI region folks.

I had a background similar to yours(had already completed my BS medical anthro with all prereqs done though) and applied to medex as a CA resident and didn't even get an interview. don't let me talk you out of applying though, just be aware that the preference exists.

you sound like a great candidate but as mentioned above they do have a STRONG preference for WAMI region folks.

I had a background similar to yours(had already completed my BS medical anthro with all prereqs done though) and applied to medex as a CA resident and didn't even get an interview. don't let me talk you out of applying though, just be aware that the preference exists.

• 2 weeks later...

Having served on the ADCOM for MEDEX and being a recent Graduate... they are looking for people that will practice in their region or would be able to relocate to one of those regions. They have pressure on them to accept people that are from the WWAMI-N (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho and Nevada) region because these states have vested interest in the applicant pool being future practitioners of their perspective states. If you told me you were a die hard texan and would NEVER practice anywhere else... even if your GPA was better and you were a water boy for Jesus... why would I pick you knowing you are only going to benefit Texas? I would pick another candidate that had ties to the region or would relocate there to practice or someone who was a longterm resident from that region. Most candidates are from the WWAMI-N region or have very close ties to those regions.

To a certain degree class dynamics play a large role, but it would not overcome the regional obligations to those states. Thats why there are 600-800 applicants to MEDEX each cycle and they do multiple rounds of interviews.

Having served on the ADCOM for MEDEX and being a recent Graduate... they are looking for people that will practice in their region or would be able to relocate to one of those regions. They have pressure on them to accept people that are from the WWAMI-N (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho and Nevada) region because these states have vested interest in the applicant pool being future practitioners of their perspective states. If you told me you were a die hard texan and would NEVER practice anywhere else... even if your GPA was better and you were a water boy for Jesus... why would I pick you knowing you are only going to benefit Texas? I would pick another candidate that had ties to the region or would relocate there to practice or someone who was a longterm resident from that region. Most candidates are from the WWAMI-N region or have very close ties to those regions.

To a certain degree class dynamics play a large role, but it would not overcome the regional obligations to those states. Thats why there are 600-800 applicants to MEDEX each cycle and they do multiple rounds of interviews.

• 5 weeks later...

To add to what Just Steve has already said... I am that guy from Georgia! My prior was 8 years EMS 3 Years as an ER Medic @ a level 2 with 2 years of volunteering in a local underserved clinic at the same time I was in the ER. So, 11 years total? Anyways, you have the makings of a strong background! I would add some sort of volunteering/shadowing ect... at a clinic that serves the medically underserved near you. That is what REALLY rounded out my application and interview. It showed I was vested in the programs mission and I was actively working towards acceptance at MEDEX. With that my advice is to apply! While you are in school and not working try and focus on getting those pt contact hours with the underserved to really fortify your application. They do have a preference to the WWAMI region applicants so you have to make your story stand out if you ain't from around here... like this east coaster!

Apply. Our class had folks from Chicago, California, Virginia, several from Utah. I've helped with selection of a couple of classes and we'll look at those who have a strong app and background. If all things are equal, then there's a chance the spot would go to someone from the WWAMI area, but you've got a strong application and probably won't suffer that fate.

Andrew

• 5 months later...

Ben, I am currently in Spokane in the masters class and I would say your chances are very good, you have the experience and you seem to have the right motivation.  I am from California and I was accepted into the program here, and I was honest at the interview about not being sure where I would end up.  I think MEDEX loves people with experience and they are huge on class dynamic.  Its a great program and I know this is a little late but you have nothing to lose by applying...(except some cash) I just saw some posts that seem to dissuade you a little and I felt that hearing from someone from out of state would be beneficial for you.  hopefully this is all old info for you and you have an application in already, and if not i would get one in for next year.  

Archived