paramedic

I'm currently certified as an EMT but plan on getting my paramedic certfication so I can work as a paramedic while working on my bachelors degree in biology. I have a question for current PA's and was wondering if there are current PA's that also work part time as a paramedic or EMT? I want to become a PA but also still love the pre-hospital setting. I would hate to give up on working in the pre hospital setting but still want to pursue a PA career.

I'm currently certified as an EMT but plan on getting my paramedic certfication so I can work as a paramedic while working on my bachelors degree in biology. I have a question for current PA's and was wondering if there are current PA's that also work part time as a paramedic or EMT? I want to become a PA but also still love the pre-hospital setting. I would hate to give up on working in the pre hospital setting but still want to pursue a PA career.

I still do as well, but just a couple of nights each month. It's how I got into medicine, I enjoy the teamwork, and it's nice to keep your emergency skills up. Sometimes as a PA you can be on your own and EMS builds confidence in your ability to handle things.

Good luck!

I still do as well, but just a couple of nights each month. It's how I got into medicine, I enjoy the teamwork, and it's nice to keep your emergency skills up. Sometimes as a PA you can be on your own and EMS builds confidence in your ability to handle things.

Good luck!

I worked for a couple of years as a medic per-diem after graduating from PA school. Once I started getting involved with leadership in the EMS System I eventually gave it up.

It gets complex when you provide medical oversight during your full-time job and then have to revert to following the protocols while working a medic shift. There was always a concern about overstepping your paramedic scope of practice and potentially exposing yourself and your EMS service to liability.

I worked for a couple of years as a medic per-diem after graduating from PA school. Once I started getting involved with leadership in the EMS System I eventually gave it up.

It gets complex when you provide medical oversight during your full-time job and then have to revert to following the protocols while working a medic shift. There was always a concern about overstepping your paramedic scope of practice and potentially exposing yourself and your EMS service to liability.

I still work as a basic EMT and I'm technically qualified as an "Ambulance Based Clinician" but have not had the backup of our EMS director to do ALS until now. The scope and definition has changed in my state and now I can do whatever the medical director says I can (and we have a new, pro-PA, medical director). I, like many others, love pre-hospital emergency medicine and can't see myself giving it up anytime soon... Lord willing.

Andrew

I still work as a basic EMT and I'm technically qualified as an "Ambulance Based Clinician" but have not had the backup of our EMS director to do ALS until now. The scope and definition has changed in my state and now I can do whatever the medical director says I can (and we have a new, pro-PA, medical director). I, like many others, love pre-hospital emergency medicine and can't see myself giving it up anytime soon... Lord willing.

Andrew

• Administrator

I work as a fire/EMS volunteer company officer, and teach EMT Basic classes. I can't do any interventions in the field, but I can sure do a much more thorough physical exam than your average EMT-B when needed, and, obviously, have the benefit of a wee bit more training. I've actually written "R/O Mallory-Weiss tears" on a run sheet.... but that was me showing off. :-)

• Administrator

I work as a fire/EMS volunteer company officer, and teach EMT Basic classes. I can't do any interventions in the field, but I can sure do a much more thorough physical exam than your average EMT-B when needed, and, obviously, have the benefit of a wee bit more training. I've actually written "R/O Mallory-Weiss tears" on a run sheet.... but that was me showing off. :-)

I attempted to get involved in EMS as a PA not long after I was out of PA school, but for a myriad of reasons it didn't work out. Medic25 has the most advanced pre-hospital PA position there is out there, and ideally if the PA idea is to be translated to the pre-hospital environment his job is the one to emulate.

As far as working purely as a paramedic, I have a co-worker who was a paramedic prior to PA school, and now that she's been out of school for a few years she still continues to work part-time as a paramedic. No issues between the two jobs from what I understand. She's a damn good PA too.

I attempted to get involved in EMS as a PA not long after I was out of PA school, but for a myriad of reasons it didn't work out. Medic25 has the most advanced pre-hospital PA position there is out there, and ideally if the PA idea is to be translated to the pre-hospital environment his job is the one to emulate.

As far as working purely as a paramedic, I have a co-worker who was a paramedic prior to PA school, and now that she's been out of school for a few years she still continues to work part-time as a paramedic. No issues between the two jobs from what I understand. She's a damn good PA too.

I would love to get into instructing EMT courses! Do you work for a college?

I would love to get into instructing EMT courses! Do you work for a college?

Archived