What are my chances?

Hi all,

I was originally planning on going to anesthesiologist assistant school, but I've recently been interested in becoming a PA.

GPA: 3.25 (strong trend upwards: 3.6 my junior year and 3.7 my senior year)

MCAT (I am only applying to the 5 schools that accept the MCAT): 34 (top 8%)

Work Experience:

CNA for 6 months (1000 hours)

2 years in AmeriCorps working with low-income youth at a non-profit. I developed and implemented an internal math tutoring program for the ACT

Microbiology TA for 1 semester

Developed ELISA test during summer internship at Pfizer

Assistant summer tennis coach

Volunteer Experience:

60 hours tutoring low-income youth

50 hours at wheelchair basketball league

60 hours volunteering at a hospital

Health care Experience:

1000 hours as CNA

If I can obtain a competitive number of HCE hours, what are my chances at these schools?

USC (Keck)

Arcadia

Rush

University of Iowa

Southern Illinois

Hi all,

I was originally planning on going to anesthesiologist assistant school, but I've recently been interested in becoming a PA.

Work Experience:

2 years in AmeriCorps working with low-income youth at a non-profit. I developed and implemented an internal math tutoring program for the ACT

Volunteer Experience:

Health care Experience:

1000 hours as CNA

If I can obtain a competitive number of HCE hours, what are my chances at these schools?

USC (Keck)

Arcadia

Rush

University of Iowa

Southern Illinois

Your chances are good.

Hi all,

Work Experience:

Volunteer Experience:

Health care Experience:

1000 hours as CNA

USC (Keck)

Arcadia

Rush

University of Iowa

Southern Illinois

Your chances are good.

Hi all,

Work Experience:

Volunteer Experience:

Health care Experience:

1000 hours as CNA

USC (Keck)

Arcadia

Rush

University of Iowa

Southern Illinois

Just wanted to put it out there that my ex-boyfriend got a 34 on his MCAT and was able to go to med school on a full-ride scholarship because of his MCAT score and other qualifications... you could definitely get into a med school with that MCAT and probably get really good financial assistance!

Just wanted to put it out there that my ex-boyfriend got a 34 on his MCAT and was able to go to med school on a full-ride scholarship because of his MCAT score and other qualifications... you could definitely get into a med school with that MCAT and probably get really good financial assistance!

• Administrator
Maybe some people don't want to go to med school? If he wants to be a PA, then I say pursue it.

People who've never wanted to go to medschool don't take the MCAT. People who take the MCAT and then apply to PA school may think they want to go to PA school instead of medschool, but they may be basing that change in career target on faulty advice, hence, it is absolutely appropriate to ask anyone self-posting an MCAT score why they no longer want to go to med school.

• Administrator
Maybe some people don't want to go to med school? If he wants to be a PA, then I say pursue it.

People who've never wanted to go to medschool don't take the MCAT. People who take the MCAT and then apply to PA school may think they want to go to PA school instead of medschool, but they may be basing that change in career target on faulty advice, hence, it is absolutely appropriate to ask anyone self-posting an MCAT score why they no longer want to go to med school.

OP stated that he originally planned to go to AA school, which requires the MCAT.

OP stated that he originally planned to go to AA school, which requires the MCAT.

Archived