AA looks even harder than PA

I suppose I shouldn't have said learning general medicine is way harder. They are actually equally as hard, but in different ways. Anesthesia is tough, no doubt. I personally have been through and know that the pharm is way harder, the physiology is way harder, and I'm some diseases are learned more in depth, but the broad spectrum of general medicine is a behemoth. In anesthesia I had the time to know everything about everything involved in the specialty. In GM, I don't have that time. There are just too many disease states, all the different tests that I have to know now that I didn't before, all the different physical exams, the various first and second line treatments.

I really could go on for hours about this. Just trust me, it isn't harder.

Oh, and as for the getting in, I didn't go to AA school so I can't comment on that personally. However, I've been friends with some who did. It's not easy, but I don't think they have near the number of applicants and those who I know that got it weren't einsteins. Not dumb or anything, just not what I think of when I think "competitive applicant pool."

Yea, I looked into an AA program and all the pre-reqs were the same as for Med school.

I shadowed an AA and found it terribly boring. Lots of standing around looking at machines waiting for surgery to be over, Not for me. I am more of a hands on person. I want to participate, maybe as a first assist PA.

Yes they do make more $$ than PAs but I would not go into it for the money. Once you are an AA, you are stuck. As a PA you have the option to change specialties, but AAs are trained for Anesthesia and that's all they can do.

Yea, I looked into an AA program and all the pre-reqs were the same as for Med school.

I shadowed an AA and found it terribly boring. Lots of standing around looking at machines waiting for surgery to be over, Not for me. I am more of a hands on person. I want to participate, maybe as a first assist PA.

Yes they do make more $$ than PAs but I would not go into it for the money. Once you are an AA, you are stuck. As a PA you have the option to change specialties, but AAs are trained for Anesthesia and that's all they can do.

I agree with you, Maria70. Watching patients sleep and monitoring machines during surgery does sound pretty boring. But if I can't get into PA school, I may have to do Respiratory Therapy. Hooking up mostly old sick people to breathing machines isn't the most exciting thing, either. That's why I'm considering AA; might as well make three times as much money.

Archived