Neurosurgery invasive procedures

A quick question for any neurosurgery PAs out there. Currently my SP and I are attempting to set up a privileging process for our PA team to place EVDs under general supervision. I've found a couple of PAs who do this, but it seems to vary widely whether or not PAs are doing this at all, much less under general supervision. Any neurosurg PAs that perform EVD placement under general supervision? If so, please let me know as I'd love to touch base and find out what your training process is, etc.

• 1 month later...

I've been trained to do it. I've seen PA's do it on their own at the bedside (without any supervision) with a great deal of success. When I was trained to do it, the PA who was instructing me had done several hundred solo EVD placements. With that said, my practice doesn't see much trauma/vascular pt's so I haven't had to place one in a living pt yet. The experience of a neurosurgery PA at a tertiary care center would probably be of more use to you in this regard but there's my two cents. After proper training, it can be done quite well by a PA without supervision.

I've been trained to do it. I've seen PA's do it on their own at the bedside (without any supervision) with a great deal of success. When I was trained to do it, the PA who was instructing me had done several hundred solo EVD placements. With that said, my practice doesn't see much trauma/vascular pt's so I haven't had to place one in a living pt yet. The experience of a neurosurgery PA at a tertiary care center would probably be of more use to you in this regard but there's my two cents. After proper training, it can be done quite well by a PA without supervision.

Archived