Role of PA's from a spine surgeons. Great perspective!

Let me interpret the article from my jaded perspective:

Respondent #1: "the scope of the PA does not need to change, but the role should."  means we are to remain in place as dependent practitioners but be willing to take on more and more work as the surgeon delegates whatever and whenever. 

Respondent #2: Steward vs. surrogate:  Means  a PA is one who takes  the assets of the surgeon and maximizes the surgeons assets to his/her full potential.  Interpretation:  you better know what I want so I can make more money, there might be a bonus for you somewhere, maybe. 

Respondent #3: "they must serve the practice's patients with the same, if not MORE, compassion and courtesy than the surgeon."  Interpretation: The PA works for a Piece of Work.  

"At times the PA can serve the role of shield in difficult situations."   Interpretation:  Yup, spine surgeons have no bedside manner.  

"......might at times have to be innovative to work to keep the surgeon on track..."   Interpretation:  It's all your fault if the surgeon gets behind.

Respondent #4: "As reimbursements decline and administrative duties increase, surgeons find it necessary to multitask.  Having a PA who is motivated...."

Interpretation:  The PA will do all the prior authorizations, become a scribe when the surgeon gets behind, and do it happily. 

Respondent #5:  The only one I would work for if I had even a remote interest in surgery. 

• 2 years later...

I've been in neurosurgery since graduating 2+ years ago and am lucky enough to have been trained well by the 5 surgeons I work with.  They have really trained me and my collegues as extenders.  With respect to the OR, we tend to do a good portion of the craniectomies for SDH evac.  Spine tends to be more elective and thus we do serve more of an assisting role.  

On 2/14/2015 at 2:23 PM, Paula said:

Let me interpret the article from my jaded perspective:

Respondent #1: "the scope of the PA does not need to change, but the role should."  means we are to remain in place as dependent practitioners but be willing to take on more and more work as the surgeon delegates whatever and whenever. 

Respondent #2: Steward vs. surrogate:  Means  a PA is one who takes  the assets of the surgeon and maximizes the surgeons assets to his/her full potential.  Interpretation:  you better know what I want so I can make more money, there might be a bonus for you somewhere, maybe. 

Respondent #3: "they must serve the practice's patients with the same, if not MORE, compassion and courtesy than the surgeon."  Interpretation: The PA works for a Piece of Work.  

"At times the PA can serve the role of shield in difficult situations."   Interpretation:  Yup, spine surgeons have no bedside manner.  

"......might at times have to be innovative to work to keep the surgeon on track..."   Interpretation:  It's all your fault if the surgeon gets behind.

Respondent #4: "As reimbursements decline and administrative duties increase, surgeons find it necessary to multitask.  Having a PA who is motivated...."

Interpretation:  The PA will do all the prior authorizations, become a scribe when the surgeon gets behind, and do it happily. 

Respondent #5:  The only one I would work for if I had even a remote interest in surgery. 

They posted this on reddit. I gave a mild disapproval and people downvoted the snot out of it. It seems the ones over on reddit truly love being “assistants.”

now they are down voting the fact I expect EM PAs to see the same number of patients per hour as physicians.

11 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

They posted this on reddit. I gave a mild disapproval and people downvoted the snot out of it. It seems the ones over on reddit truly love being “assistants.”

now they are down voting the fact I expect EM PAs to see the same number of patients per hour as physicians.

Just got done reading that thread on there defending PA's.  Glad to see you over there.  There is a stark dichotomy between the posters on reddit and here on PAforum.  

Archived